New here

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! As @bnord said. A skimmer is optional, especially in a smallish tank. Use the money you would have spent there to get some good test kits for your water parameters. You don't need to be fancy but pick a good brand. Salifert is probably the best for price to performance in general but there are lots of good kits. For cycling the tank you will need a refractometer or hydrometer (to measure the water's salinity), an Ammonia test kit, a Nitrite test kit and a Nitrate test kit. You will not use the Ammonia or Nitrite test kits often once your tank is mature but the Nitrate test kit is one of the fundamental tests that are run often so pick a good test kit. There will be more kits needed but those will get you through start up. Also don't use tap water for your tank. Either buy/make RODI or buy distilled water. You will need this water to replace water that evaporates and to make your saltwater unless you buy the saltwater pre-made. Good luck and have fun. Above all else be patient and take your time.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Getting ready to start my first reef tank. Never done this before but wanted to give it a try. Learned a lot from videos but came here to see what else I can learn. I’m starting a Fluval 32.5 saltwater tank. Any suggestions or advice. I’m not able to upgrade lights yet so I’m just going with what ever is straight out box. What skimmer should i use? What basic equipment, kits I need for first time? Any help is appreciated. Still learning and can’t wait to learn more!!!
I have a fluval hang on the back works well

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back