Whats Up Hello GIF by Make it Move

Evas_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

I bought myself a saltwater tank earlier this year on an impulse buy and have fallen in love with my saltwater tank and coral. I am in the process of setting up my first 30 gallon tank as my inaugural tank (I have been using the 15gal as a practice to learn where I housed the following to start:

-Green Center with Red Rim Brain Coral (2" peice)
-Feather Duster Wine & Gold (1 happy worm)
-Green Birdsnest (1" peice)
-Caribbean Babies Zoanthid (6 baby polyps)
-Brick Red Montipora (1.5" peice)

As far as tank mates go,

-One Bubble Anemone (small, 2")
-One very social Snowflake Clownfish
-One Green Mandarin Goby (3", gift from a friend, very beautiful and majestic)
-A handful of assorted sized hermit crabs and a few small Nassarius Snails and one large Turbo snail.

I will be setting up my 30 gallon tank this coming weekend and into next week. Hopefully I can post some pictures and get feedback and guidance as I continue on my journey I would greatly appreciate it.

On another note, I am very interested in expanding into a larger commercial operation, mostly growing coral and potentially learning to grow, frag and sell coral.

I am also looking to develop a mental health program through my nonprofit, using coral as a foundation to help veterans who are struggling with mental health, substance abuse and/or PTSD. I am a combat vet myself who struggled from all the above and I wanted to use my new found love and appreciation for coral to help veterans like me.

The idea I am working on is to structure a 40hr, one-week class with one hour of coral instruction added each day. As a part of the instruction, each veteran would receive a 5-gal tank with one starter coral piece (they would choose it themselves after learning a little about coral) and maybe one fish or hermit crab or something that would add some life to the tank as well. The idea is to use Coral as a mental health aid in recovery. I know its a lofty idea, but I think its doable. (Ideally we would run small classes to keep the groups small (10-15 vets), Im anticipating the total cost of the coral, tank and fish to be about $250/person outside the instruction itself).

If anyone has any input or advice on my personal tank, my quest to farm coral, or my goal of putting coral tanks in the homes of veterans across the country I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks In Advance.
finding nemo eww GIF

Love this idea. Dream big and go for it! I too have lived with mental health issues for a while and this hobby has given me so much joy, peace and fulfilment. Best of luck!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back