OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that you’ve had this tank up for a while, I have a question. How is the 36” deep tank to deal with? Any problems reaching stuff in the back? Stuff like that. I think the deep tanks like that are spectacular looking, and I’m considering one.
well since i have it open to the fish room in the back it is not a problem and i actually never do anything in the back anyway. The key there was that i have 4" +/- between rock and glass in back and i have a mp40 on each side (low in tank) blowing water across the back and sand. It is amazing and i would recommend it to everyone.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superb build and planning. Love your initial drafts of the setup/plumbing. Kudos on everything being super neat. Love it.
thank you very much and it was alot of planning and work but it has paid off so far. It seems that the tank pretty much runs itself and have had no real problems with anything and that includes algae as it have a bit in the initial cycle but even that was minimal and i attribute that to the planning and foresight to have the right equipment and automation in place like the ATO and auto water change using the DOS to change 3 gal per day. I also think that this forum was instrumental to my success and that is why i just paid to be a supporter as i believe this site is a must to anyone that is serious in this hobby, the amount of knowledge here and the non-judging sincere help is beyond words...

THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE REEFERS !!!!!! i could not have done it without you

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love this build, cannot tell which I like more the new house or the new tank.... Amazing job, how do you like having a dedicated fish room? Following along now, a bit late
Thank you and the fish room is a must have, the only problem is my wife sometimes wonders if i will ever come out of it..lol

on a serious note the room is essential as it removes the processes of having a functioning reef tank from being in the living room and makes it easy to clean, fill dosing and salt not to mention it keeps all of the supplies and equipnet in a easy to use and maintain place without having to climb under and around things. It is priceless.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well since i have it open to the fish room in the back it is not a problem and i actually never do anything in the back anyway. The key there was that i have 4" +/- between rock and glass in back and i have a mp40 on each side (low in tank) blowing water across the back and sand. It is amazing and i would recommend it to everyone.
Thanks for responding, I'm considering a tank close to your size, especially the 36" depth. I wont have access to the back of mine but will have full access to the front and side. Plan on adding a walking board at the top of the stand so hopefully I can reach anywhere in tank. I know some people operate with just a set of grabbers for long reaches. I think that would drive me crazy! For whatever reason, I want to be able to put my hands on it.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and the fish room is a must have, the only problem is my wife sometimes wonders if i will ever come out of it..lol

on a serious note the room is essential as it removes the processes of having a functioning reef tank from being in the living room and makes it easy to clean, fill dosing and salt not to mention it keeps all of the supplies and equipnet in a easy to use and maintain place without having to climb under and around things. It is priceless.

This is key. Having all the equipment in an easy to access place saves so much time and effort.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not posted for a while but the tank is doing outstanding and coral frags are growing, fish are happy and almost finished rewiring the equipment. I still have to hide the power cables but that should be it. Here are some of the equipment that i added in the last month or two:
algea scrubber
O2 scrubber
Apex PAR meter
now dosing 4 part water conditioner
also dosing alk and cal

here are some pics
IMG_5720.jpg IMG_5785.jpg IMG_5784.jpg IMG_5783.jpg
Great design. Great job putting it together. Looks amazing.

From a consultation POV, people are always going into thinking they want the tallest tank possible. I typically all but get down on my knees and beg them to go shorter and deeper. 36” is a great depth, and it gives a) endless aquscaping potential, and b) room for coral to grow naturally, and c) it makes a HUGE difference with fish (health, behavior, compatibility).

Also, a dedicated room is ALWAYS the way to go. I hate tons of equipment...unless I have a room for it. Then I love it.

I’m excited to see this thing grow. Good work!

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding, I'm considering a tank close to your size, especially the 36" depth. I wont have access to the back of mine but will have full access to the front and side. Plan on adding a walking board at the top of the stand so hopefully I can reach anywhere in tank. I know some people operate with just a set of grabbers for long reaches. I think that would drive me crazy! For whatever reason, I want to be able to put my hands on it.
if it was me i would still go with the 36" as it looks really good and if you aquascape it correctly with water flow you will not need to get back there very often. You will not be disappointed...

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it was me i would still go with the 36" as it looks really good and if you aquascape it correctly with water flow you will not need to get back there very often. You will not be disappointed...
Thanks, thats kind of what I was looking for lol. Just making sure it was worth the reach, yours and the others I've seen look fantastic.

6TankReefer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott by chance do you have any youtube videos of the tank or most recent pics? I'd love to see the latest update!

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will take some tonight as i need to put my new Lineatus Fairy Wrasse in the QT tank today so i will be messing around in there anyway. Also a new update is that I pulled out the 55 gal QT tank as it was way too large and put an old 16 gal biocube in so i have more room now. i will take pictures of the fish room also.

6TankReefer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will take some tonight as i need to put my new Lineatus Fairy Wrasse in the QT tank today so i will be messing around in there anyway. Also a new update is that I pulled out the 55 gal QT tank as it was way too large and put an old 16 gal biocube in so i have more room now. i will take pictures of the fish room also.
Awesome! Cant' wait... I was also thinking for a QT setup, if you did get various fish at different times, 3-4 10G aquariums pointed Horizontally would do the trick, as one light would provide enough for all three setups, and sponeg filters and air stones for each one would do just fine and are pennies on the dollar... Also, I read one of your older threads that the first time you quarantined all the fish died, I think the issue was a lack of oxygen, as one airstone wouldn't have been enough for a 55g, if you even had one. As whenever you add copper or other treatments the oxygen levels always fall off.... I also felt your pain as the other reefers who commented on that threat were complete @#$@#% and couldn't even offer any constructive recommendations or suggestions.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please link the videos here. I can’t wait for them!

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Cant' wait... I was also thinking for a QT setup, if you did get various fish at different times, 3-4 10G aquariums pointed Horizontally would do the trick, as one light would provide enough for all three setups, and sponeg filters and air stones for each one would do just fine and are pennies on the dollar... Also, I read one of your older threads that the first time you quarantined all the fish died, I think the issue was a lack of oxygen, as one airstone wouldn't have been enough for a 55g, if you even had one. As whenever you add copper or other treatments the oxygen levels always fall off.... I also felt your pain as the other reefers who commented on that threat were complete @#$@#% and couldn't even offer any constructive recommendations or suggestions.
yea, the QT thing i think was my error as i did not cycle the qt tank combined with drop in oxygen and the quick rise in ammonia but i have fixed all of that and now i cycle the qt with a spong from main display and add turbostart 900 and then i have an automated procedure removing and adding water daily to keep the water quality good

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man the red rock is looking nice! Great photos. However I think you need more corals lol
yes i do, these little coral frags are putting me in the poor house lol, going to orlando for business in 3 weeks so i am going to go to WWC and get a bunch of new stuff.... cant wait

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back