New Jebao OW-25

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man i have to say, these pumps are amazing. They are super cheap, $64 on amazon prime.

I used to have an MP10 and a koralia fixed powerhead. The koralia recently died. The MP10 I have had for maybe 6 years, and still going strong.

I bought the new Jebao OW-25 to replace the korallia, and was completely surprised at how QUIET they are. They are SO QUIET. It was so quiet I immediately bought another to replace the mp10. My MP10 on the other hand is so CRAZY LOUD, making whirring sounds like a never ending rollercoaster going high to low pitch.

So now i have 2, they are master/slave , and they are pushing water around crazy. I removed the mp10 and man the living room is so quiet now. The water line in my tank is bouncing all over the place now, I can see the previous static water line because of some algae. Seriously impressed by these. Wish I had done this sooner. If they do die, I can still buy 2 more and be the same price as the mp10.

I did have the non quiet mp10 version, so maybe the newer ones are a lot better. I had considered a gyre, but I have a cubish shaped tank so I read it was not as ideal.

Jebao seems to have a pretty **** reputation for product reliability. I have a DC jebao sump pump going strong for about half a year now. Obviously I cannot speak to the new wave maker pumps, but ill check back in a year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wave.gif

Rocking back and forth!

need to razor that algae line off

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if it can be linked/synced to the older generation pumps? For example, linking the new OW pump to an RW pump to use in a wave mode?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, half a year really doesn't speak to reliability for a return pump (at least in my opinion).

mb167204

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just bought the OW-10 for my Red Sea Max 130 to replace a Koralia 2 and I completely agree. I can't even hear this thing with my ear next to the tank. Man handler or water as well.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, half a year really doesn't speak to reliability for a return pump (at least in my opinion).

All depends on your perspective, I suppose. I use external PanWorld pumps and I'm cheesed off if I don't get a decade out of them. I think the Jebao powerheads are mostly OK, and they aren't mission critical like a main return. I still prefer the big vortechs, but a Jebao here and there to get flow to a spot the vortechs don't reach is a good option.

Jackony

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like and buy, just purchased another one, the Jebao pumps. I’ve learned that full power is not an option. I hope it is for others, but I burned out 3 of these running them at full power. Some in under 30 days. Now I run them about 75% and running strong after 16-18 months.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From reviews the OW changed three things:
1. Instead of 2 magnetic dipoles in the rotor they have now 4.
2. The traditional W1 mode works as usual but now never really stop spinning .
3. No electronic components in the rotor, moved to the controller.

I think points 1 and 2 will address the longevity issues quite well.
Let's see.

From my experience, no matter the pump brand, if you use a mode where it never really stops spinning, i mean, no 0% followed by a strong push in a fraction of a second and then again 0%, any wavemaver pump should last at least the double or more times the usual. Completely starting stopping a pump wears it out quiet fast.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a 2 vs 4 pole motor actually make it more reliable? Doubt it. That’s not the main reason for going to a 4 pole motor

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe with a four pole you are able to lower the speed of the pump almost to zero as with a single pole you are limited to about 30%.
There may also be some efficiency gains but minor, along with less vibration.
Perhaps we’ll ask the expert @Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe with a four pole you are able to lower the speed of the pump almost to zero as with a single pole you are limited to about 30%.
There may also be some efficiency gains but minor, along with less vibration.
Perhaps we’ll ask the expert @Brew12
Thanks for the invite!

You are correct, the extra poles will provide some very minor efficiency gains along with slightly less vibration.

The real reason to use more poles in a motor is to get slower speeds at a higher frequency input.

In a synchronous motor like these motor speed (N) equals 120 times the frequency (f) divided by the number of poles (P). You can more easily type it as NP=120f

For a 60 hz input on a 2 pole motor you get N=120(60)/2 = 3600RPM
For a 60 hz input on a 4 pole motor you get N=120(60)/4 = 1800RPM

Since what we call DC pumps are actually variable speed AC pumps more poles allow for the use of a higher frequency at a slower speed.

JVS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with Jebao is as long as you clean them regularly they last forever. My 2 rw4 are 21/2 years old and work great

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased 5 Jebao power heads in my short time reefing. 2 PP8s, 2 SW4s and 1 SW2. The PP8s are in storage right now, but they worked great and pushed a lot of water. I had to repair the solder on the power connection inside one of the boxes, but solder repairs are nothing for me. The two SW4s are currently on my 35G cube and I feel are a bit under powered for a 20" cube. I might should have gone with the SW8. They are really small pumps, and while they push a good bit of water if you hold your hand right in front of the pump, halfway across the tank I can't feel it anymore. I am having the same power cord issue with one of the SW4s as I had with the PP8, and I'm going to pull the box apart and see if I can fix it like I did the other one. The SW2 I had was dead in a week. Plug the box in and the lights came on, plug the motor into the box and the lights would go out and the motor didn't turn. Unplug the motor from the box and the lights came back on. Plug the motor into the box with the box unplugged and then plug the box in and still no light and no spinning motor. Plug the motor into another box and the lights would go out... I returned it for a refund as it only worked a few days.

So, my experience is 2/5 Jebao pumps you buy will have no problems.

Just curious, does anyone know the size difference in the SW4 to SW8 and the new OW of the same levels? Are the OW pumps super tiny like the SWs are? My PP8s are HUGE and look horrible in my cube. If all that goes wrong is a few crappy solder joints I can repair that, for the price it's worth that little bit of work if they'll push water. I'm also looking at getting the Coralbox RN-1 when it's released.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the PP4s a few weeks back! I can still return them. Now im thinking I want this new model. I only run mine at 40% anything higher it makes a loud hum. I don't think my fishies like that very much!

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the invite!

You are correct, the extra poles will provide some very minor efficiency gains along with slightly less vibration.

The real reason to use more poles in a motor is to get slower speeds at a higher frequency input.

In a synchronous motor like these motor speed (N) equals 120 times the frequency (f) divided by the number of poles (P). You can more easily type it as NP=120f

For a 60 hz input on a 2 pole motor you get N=120(60)/2 = 3600RPM
For a 60 hz input on a 4 pole motor you get N=120(60)/4 = 1800RPM

Since what we call DC pumps are actually variable speed AC pumps more poles allow for the use of a higher frequency at a slower speed.
Please correct me if I’m wrong but with electric communication a four pole motor can go up to 3600RPM as well?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please correct me if I’m wrong but with electric communication a four pole motor can go up to 3600RPM as well?
Yup. Since NP=120F we can go with 3600(4)/120=f= 120hz. As long as the DC controller output is 120hz a 4 pole motor can spin at 3600RPM

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the OW-25. My PP-8 was quieter and the OW-25 mounting hardware is not ever good. The power head moves where it wants and when you point it, it dosent stay in place. I will be returning my OW-25 and keeping my PP-8. Also on the box of the ow-25 it says its for nano tanks. I don't understand that as it pushes 2100gph lol.....

That's my update

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 108 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 55 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 66 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 57 30.6%
Back