New kole tang behaviour

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Claus84, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Claus84

Claus84 Active Member

Hi all, I added a yellow eye kole to my 90 reef 2 days ago and having never owned a tang before would like to know how long it usually take them to settle down as its still being a little argumentative with my existing stock.

Initially it argued with my clowns and flame angel and the first night the flame went into hiding. The flame is back out now and eating as normal but both the angel and tang have a few split fins and there is still the occasional chase. The tang and my banggai cardinal also have a little flicker at one another in passing. Only other fish is a mandarin which it has completely ignored.

Is this to be expected when introducing a new tang to the tank? I'm hoping once it realises that there is plenty of food for everyone it will settle down. Just curious rather than concernced at this stage as I know its early days and everyone is still eating well.

Cheers

Nick

Tags:

2. Brien

Brien Member

I'd be more concerned about him infecting your tank. The next 30-days should be very telling.

3. Claus84

Claus84 Active Member

Its new to the tank but I have had it for over a month and it's been through a QT with CP and prazipro

4. biomek

biomek Member

mine's a model citizen in my 220. Desjardini keeps him in check but he's never shown aggression to any of my other fish. I'd say in due time, it should work out the same for you. Kole and the clowns may have a tussle from time to time but i didn't see any other fish you listed that i would think would cause it to have any long term issues.

Claus84 likes this.
  5. Deinonych

Deinonych Active Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Seems pretty typical. My Kole was kind of a butthead the first few weeks in the tank, but he settled down after that. He's pretty mellow now. He still has issues with my Tailspot Blenny and my Royal Gramma (go figure), but nothing ever escalates. He spends most of the day picking at rocks and hanging out with my foxface. I've had him for nearly 3 years now.

Claus84 likes this.
  6. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member CTARS Member

Initial skirmish is normal. As long as it's just fins no biggie. You could try taping a mirror to the side of the tank. Fish are stupid, they'll get distracted by the reflection.

Claus84 likes this.
  7. nwkennard

nwkennard Member

I introduced a Pygmy flameback angel to my tank with a kole tang already established. The tang harrased the flameback for a week or so, now they are good friends. Things should settle down.

Claus84 likes this.
  8. Claus84

Claus84 Active Member

Thanks all, seems like they are little buddies now for the most part, they spend most of the day following each other around grazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted