New kole tang behaviour

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I added a yellow eye kole to my 90 reef 2 days ago and having never owned a tang before would like to know how long it usually take them to settle down as its still being a little argumentative with my existing stock.

Initially it argued with my clowns and flame angel and the first night the flame went into hiding. The flame is back out now and eating as normal but both the angel and tang have a few split fins and there is still the occasional chase. The tang and my banggai cardinal also have a little flicker at one another in passing. Only other fish is a mandarin which it has completely ignored.

Is this to be expected when introducing a new tang to the tank? I'm hoping once it realises that there is plenty of food for everyone it will settle down. Just curious rather than concernced at this stage as I know its early days and everyone is still eating well.

Cheers

Nick

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more concerned about him infecting your tank. The next 30-days should be very telling.

biomek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine's a model citizen in my 220. Desjardini keeps him in check but he's never shown aggression to any of my other fish. I'd say in due time, it should work out the same for you. Kole and the clowns may have a tussle from time to time but i didn't see any other fish you listed that i would think would cause it to have any long term issues.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems pretty typical. My Kole was kind of a butthead the first few weeks in the tank, but he settled down after that. He's pretty mellow now. He still has issues with my Tailspot Blenny and my Royal Gramma (go figure), but nothing ever escalates. He spends most of the day picking at rocks and hanging out with my foxface. I've had him for nearly 3 years now.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial skirmish is normal. As long as it's just fins no biggie. You could try taping a mirror to the side of the tank. Fish are stupid, they'll get distracted by the reflection.

nwkennard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a Pygmy flameback angel to my tank with a kole tang already established. The tang harrased the flameback for a week or so, now they are good friends. Things should settle down.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, seems like they are little buddies now for the most part, they spend most of the day following each other around grazing.

It seemed like they were getting on well but I'm seeing more aggression from the tang over the last few days. The flame angel had a nice little cave it could hide in but the tang has decided it wants it for itself now, and has even excavated the sand and moved some rubble out with its mouth to make it bigger, I had no idea tangs did this!? Randomly it also keeps tasting my asterina stars but mustn't like the taste as it always spits them out.!

I think I'll see how things progress over the next fortnight which will take me to just over the month mark. If nothing improves I may have to rehome the tang.

I tried the mirror trick a couple of times and ended up with a flame angel, tang and mandarin all fighting their reflection!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back