New Lurker considering taking the plunge

Raddock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all,

I had a reef tank 20 years ago and had to give it up due to a series of moves. I'm now retired and considering starting a new tank. I've been reading and watching YouTube videos for a few weeks and just found R2R so I thought I'd see what's up here. It seems that the technology and husbandry has exploded in the last 20 years and there are now many more options and things to consider than there used to be. I'm really getting excited about committing to this hobby, but I need more information to decide how to go about it.

OP
OP
Raddock

Raddock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shep! I've been binge watching the BRS 52week tank set up of their 160 gallon tank...caught up through week 36 now. I'm looking at equipment and livestock on line. Looking for a local store with no success, though I have another lead to try Tuesday. I'm looking at my budget and the cost of things to decide whether and how much I want to take on. What size system would you recommend? I'm thinking a 48 X 24 100 gal is about the most I can accommodate both physically and financially. Any recommendations for size and sources?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gal is great size to start. Keep in mind the live stock you want, if you want tangs and angles you might want to think larger. You can find some killer deals on established tanks on Craigslist.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! Yes things have changed but a lot has not.. I also recently retired and set set up a new tank after a long absence, decided to go with a nano because of all the things you mentioned

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes craigslist is your friend when getting a new system sometimes you can get a whole system for next to nothing and if needed just upgrade a couple items and your all set to go.

_Conway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all,

I had a reef tank 20 years ago and had to give it up due to a series of moves. I'm now retired and considering starting a new tank. I've been reading and watching YouTube videos for a few weeks and just found R2R so I thought I'd see what's up here. It seems that the technology and husbandry has exploded in the last 20 years and there are now many more options and things to consider than there used to be. I'm really getting excited about committing to this hobby, but I need more information to decide how to go about it.
Welcome
Get the largest tank you think you can manage. [emoji4]
Visit every aquarium store in your city to view fish and research their requirements.
You've already made the best first step and that's research.
Read as many forums as possible.
Good luck and happy reefing

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shep! I've been binge watching the BRS 52week tank set up of their 160 gallon tank...caught up through week 36 now. I'm looking at equipment and livestock on line. Looking for a local store with no success, though I have another lead to try Tuesday. I'm looking at my budget and the cost of things to decide whether and how much I want to take on. What size system would you recommend? I'm thinking a 48 X 24 100 gal is about the most I can accommodate both physically and financially. Any recommendations for size and sources?
So typically bigger tanks are easier to keep but they are a whole lot more work and money. I might recommend a 75g tank, they are a great size and shape that allows you to keep cool fish and have great rock work but yet still saves you a ton of cash

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and congrats on your retirement. Do you have any local reef clubs in your area? I know Louisiana has one which isn't too far...assuming you're in Gulfport, MS. May want to take a look at their site, as often members have/want to sell and will list on the clubs site.

http://www.lareefclub.com/community/

As said above, larger is better (at least more forgiving) but it has to fit in to your budget among other things.

Continue your research and you'll find something and take the plunge.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I have only been in a couple of years after a 14 yr absence. I came back in with a 5 gallon nano to get refamiliarized, and am now almost done with a 33 gal build. I already have a 220 waiting on me in the basement for next year. Prepare to fall back in hard. Many great people here always willing to help. Good luck!

OP
OP
Raddock

Raddock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a follow up- I've decided that I'll take the plunge and jump in in a big way. I've ordered a 180 gallon tank and stand. While it's on the way, I'm setting up my R/O DI system to feed a stacked 40 gallon holding tank and salt mixing tank. I built the stand today and will finish it tomorrow. I didn't think to take pics while building it, but I'll post some tomorrow after it's done.

I found a great LFS with super helpful staff, so I'm inspired and pumped :)

Pdandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a follow up- I've decided that I'll take the plunge and jump in in a big way. I've ordered a 180 gallon tank and stand. While it's on the way, I'm setting up my R/O DI system to feed a stacked 40 gallon holding tank and salt mixing tank. I built the stand today and will finish it tomorrow. I didn't think to take pics while building it, but I'll post some tomorrow after it's done.

I found a great LFS with super helpful staff, so I'm inspired and pumped :)

Now that's how you do it!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back