New lyretail hogfish not eating

JLan246

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,
Looking for a little advice.

I just added a lyretail hogfish to my QT a couple of days ago (Parameters; Salinity: 1.025; pH: 8.2, ammonia: 0; nitrite: 0; nitrate: 10 ppm). We are going to let him acclimate for a few weeks and keep our eye on him. Just a little worried, he is still hiding behind a couple of the decorations and we haven't seen him eat yet.

I started my aquarium back in September and didn't add fish until November, so I still consider myself rather new to this, especially when it comes to ensuring new fish are doing well.

Thanks ahead of time

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how the lyretail hogfish is doing today? I've always wanted one, but their mouths get too big when they grow up. I'm afraid one would eat my smaller fish. Beautiful fish though!

It's fairly common for new fish to need time to acclimate to tank life for a few days. Usually, the hardier fish will come out to eat when they feel more comfortable. Do you use RODI water? If not, did you add a water conditioner to detoxify any heavy metals present in your water? Doing so will help protect the fish's natural slime coat and make all the untested nasty elements in our water safe for our fish. Good luck. I hope your new fish is swimming around and doing well, now.

OP
OP
J

JLan246

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is doing much better now. Swimming around the tank and has finally come out of his shell. Likes to stare at his own reflection at the bottom of the QT. Actually had to increase his food recently too. Put a little bit of frozen mysis and it was gone in about 30 seconds. Definitely lives up to the name hogfish.
I was a little worried about getting one too, knowing they can eat smaller fish. I'm not worried right now, my female ocellaris has become quit aggressive of late, even biting my hand when I clean the tank.
No, I do not use RODI water but I always treat the water.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e is doing much better now. Swimming around the tank and has finally come out of his shell. Likes to stare at his own reflection at the bottom of the QT. Actually had to increase his food recently too. Put a little bit of frozen mysis and it was gone in about 30 seconds. Definitely lives up to the name hogfish.
I was a little worried about getting one too, knowing they can eat smaller fish. I'm not worried right now, my female ocellaris has become quit aggressive of late, even biting my hand when I clean the tank.
No, I do not use RODI water but I always treat the water.

That's great news. I love happy endings! My peppermint hogfish is a pig, too. I went with the peppermint because it stays small. :) I love it! It's a very active fish..always on the move. I hope you enjoy your hogfish as much. ;JoyfulBTW, my o.clown is also more aggressive than my lightning maroon clownfish pair. I KNOW my o.clown (named It) is going to bite me every time I stick my hand in the tank, but it still startles me! In fact, even when I feed the tank it swims to the surface and spits water at me. I think it REALLY wants me to stay away from its home. LOL

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back