New Maroon clown

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a new maroon clown yesterday. He is real small. Prob .75” from end to end. When I added him yesterday afternoon he was eating and I was even able to feed him using tongs. He ate some mysis and brine shrimp this morning and even a small piece of cut up “grocery store” shrimp.
My concern is that he got a little beat up by a yellow tail damsel. He got a few nips in the tail and fins. Nothing to concerning at this point I don’t want it to get worse. I’ve been watching all day and the damsel seems to have lighted up. Will occasionally buzz past him and give a little chase but not nearly as bad as yesterday.
My questions are
How fast will the fins heal? And is there any better food to help the healing process?
How is the growth rate on the maroons? I understand each individual fish is different, but is there a general idea of how fast they grow?
Overall I’m just hoping the little guy will “bulk up” and be able to defend himself a little better against the damsel. He is prob smaller then half the size of the damsel. This damsel isn’t the fight to the death type. I have seen him back down from my tailspot blenny. He also doesn’t mess w the small clown goby.
Any advice would be greatly appreciate. I don’t have any other set up to move him too, I do think over the next few days the damsel will continue to calm down.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep a close eye on things and possibly remove/separate the damsel from the clown. Maroons are known for their toughness, but there's not much substance at .75" long. If aggression dwindles from the damsel then they can be kept together. If the maroon clown gets a chance to act calmly without the damsel buzzing and chasing him, then the fins will heal in 2-3 days but it also depends on the severity of the tear.

Growth rate depends on nutrition, the maroon clown I had grew around 1/2" in 6 months time before I rehomed him. He was in a very calm tank and was fed really good foods.

The damsel may back down eventually but it may take a little while longer because the clownfish is so small and doesn't pose much of a threat. Try taping a picture of a much larger damselfish to the tank, that may curb aggression quicker.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is not just out right aggression it's the constant posturing and bombing maneuver by the damsel, this causes stress and stress often increases the susceptibility to disease.
Ideally I would put the Damsel in an acclimation box for a week or so to give the Maroon a chance to acclimate in peace.
I feed my small Maroons a small amount of food 3 times a day and they have grown about 1/3 inch in the last 2 months.

OP
OP
Jguido1987

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m def gonna keep an eye on it. I honestly feel a lot better today then I did yesterday when I just added the little guy. He seems to enjoy swimming in the current. He is eating pretty good. I just fed him a few pellets with no problem. I’m gonna make sure he is eating several times a day. Wish me luck. I’m really hoping it all works out.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a damsel in you QT tank or did it go right to a DT?

If it is a damsel in a QT, you could lace a divider in the tank to keep them apart until he heals.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back