New maxima clam

drewsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i just purchased a maxima clam 3 days ago. I carefully acclimated it and it seemed to be doing good for the firts 2 days. This morning i noticed when i put my hand over it it wouldnt react. It was reacting perfectly fine before. Should i be worried? The mantle looks extended and i can't see any gaping in the mouth. My system is a 55g tank. Parameters are ph 8.2, CAL 450, MG 1380, ALK 10, temp 78, phospate 0.00-0.04, nitrates 4-5. I have a kessil ap700 running at 40 percent at peak time. I have 2 maxspect gyres 150s. The flow isnt too turbulent. I dont have any fish that would mess with it. The only thing i can think of is that i increased my calcium yesterday since it had dropped to 400. Here's a pic of what it looks like.
Thanks
20180216_113322.jpg

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Tahitian cultured clam as I see and looks fine. Maybe the light isn't intense enough and the temperature of the water is a little bit higher. Keep eyes on it.

OP
OP
drewsreef

drewsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Tahitian cultured clam as I see and looks fine. Maybe the light isn't intense enough and the temperature of the water is a little bit higher. Keep eyes on it.
Ok thanks...how long should i leave it as is. If it continues not to react should i do something? I dont want to lose it since its my favorite piece in my aquarium

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks...how long should i leave it as is. If it continues not to react should i do something? I dont want to lose it since its my favorite piece in my aquarium

It looks fine as of now and clams will become less sensitive after acclimatation within a few days. But Tahitian clams are tricky, you'd better enhance the lighting and lower the temperature by 5 degree if it went downhill.

OP
OP
drewsreef

drewsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine as of now and clams will become less sensitive after acclimatation within a few days. But Tahitian clams are tricky, you'd better enhance the lighting and lower the temperature by 5 degree if it went downhill.
Ok ill keep a close eye on it thanks for the info

IronChefItaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a gorgeous clam. I agree, leave it be but monitor it closely. You say its unresponsive, if you completely shadow the light does it not react? My oldest clam doesn't respond much to a waving hand but if I'm checking around at night with a flashlight it will retract.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just monitor it and don't make sudden changes. The temp and your parameters are fine, keep things stable. That's a very powerful light so I wouldn't go cranking up intensity yet. Give the clam some time to adjust to it's new home.

OP
OP
drewsreef

drewsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a gorgeous clam. I agree, leave it be but monitor it closely. You say its unresponsive, if you completely shadow the light does it not react? My oldest clam doesn't respond much to a waving hand but if I'm checking around at night with a flashlight it will retract.
It started reacting the next morning. Now when i walk into the room it will react before i get near the tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back