New member from the uk hi everyone

Djfuller23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone new member from the uk so after many years of wanting a reef tank I finally got a red sea reefer 425 delux tank has been running for 5 weeks now.has 30 kg tmc eco reef 64kg mix of caribsea pink Fiji and arag alive Bahamas used atm colony my question is after 2 weeks my lsf suggested adding fish (2 clowns 2 regal damsels were chosen) one week later after taking my water to be tested was told add more fish (3 chromis 1 firedart fish and a orange spotted goby) then 5days ago water tested again was told add more fish ( royal gramma lion hawk fish and a regal blue tang) also was advised add some cuc (4 nassarius 4 trochus 2 blue dwarf hermits and 2 cleaner shrimp) my question is all seems good levels wise and livestock seem happy but is my lsf rushing me just to make money thanks in adavance for any help

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome !!! :cool:
I’ve never had a lfs tell me that I need to add more fish , that would be your call and I hope they didn’t pick out what kind of fish to buy ??? Sounds like they overly appreciate your money and biz and are taking advantage. Do you like the fish that you have ??? Did you want that many ??? Are you planning on putting coral in the tank ??? Is their aggression in the tank etc . And after only 5 weeks your tank hasn’t fully cycled , are you experiencing any bacterial explosion in the tank . Do you have enough bacteria to handle the bio load ???

OP
OP
D

Djfuller23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome !!! :cool:
I’ve never had a lfs tell me that I need to add more fish , that would be your call and I hope they didn’t pick out what kind of fish to buy ??? Sounds like they overly appreciate your money and biz and are taking advantage. Do you like the fish that you have ??? Did you want that many ??? Are you planning on putting coral in the tank ??? Is their aggression in the tank etc . And after only 5 weeks your tank hasn’t fully cycled , are you experiencing any bacterial explosion in the tank . Do you have enough bacteria to handle the bio load ???
As I said all parameters are good fish are all good and yes would like to get corals in the future we chose the fish when I say was told it was more suggested

OP
OP
D

Djfuller23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank now

Attachments

• 26D17EDD-2FA4-49FD-8222-ED024DE2F103.jpeg
    26D17EDD-2FA4-49FD-8222-ED024DE2F103.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 31

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said all parameters are good fish are all good and yes would like to get corals in the future we chose the fish when I say was told it was more suggested
Thanks for the pic . First off you said that they said your parameters are good . Curious as to what your ammonia level was and what equipment they used to test . Second, you were asking if any of us thought the lfs was pushing the sale of fish on you and my opinion is that after only five weeks going I wouldn’t think you wouldn’t be wanting to add this many fish especially a tang this soon . If your tank is showing no signs of ammonia and has been able to maintain zero ammonia while making the additions then no worries . Personally I wouldn’t have gone this fast . Your tank looks cloudy to me and it could be the blue light making it look that way but could also be a slight bacterial explosion going on which would mean that it can’t handle the bio load . If I were you I would get your ammonia level checked with using a trusted test kit preferably one that is different from the one the lfs uses. That’s my opinion . Hope I could help you !!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I don't know your LFS' reasoning but you are moving too quickly in my opinion. Fish loads need to be added slowly to avoid ammonia/nitrite spikes and to observe for disease. Also a Regal Tang gets a little large for a Red Sea 425. Personally I'd push back a little and let what you have settle in for a few months before adding more. That said, if everything is doing fine, what do I know?

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I won't comment on the LFS you've been going to, but since you're in Essex, I'd recommend going to have a look at Advanced Aquarium Consultancy in Harlow. It's got to be the best marine store I know of in the south east.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back