ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my 6 years in September. I chose the air defense job mainly because of the bonus( which I didn't receive) go figure. But I did 6 years with the National Guard and have been to quite a few places I would and wouldn't go back to lol

Yeah but its the family that you get to be part of when you go to places that most people would never want to go. I did 10 months in a small JCOP in Afghanistan, we had less than 100 US personnel and then less than 75 French forces. Lived in tents and ate out of bags the whole time we were there for the most part and when I was there I was so ready to go home. But now looking back that is the closest bond I have ever had to another human as the guys that I did daily foot patrols with.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to have you join, great place to be

1575595031101.gif

OP
OP
moonman2091

moonman2091

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome David. My name is Scott. Enjoy your stay - its a pretty cool place.

Side note - let us discuss that avatar picture of yours. Pray tell.
Well cant say a lot since my job requires a secret clearance. But that was on a hill top in a remote place far away lol. Its was for our equipment for our radar. My job was to detect incoming missiles, mortars, rpgs, helos, fast movers(jets), and anything else inside our designated radius.

OP
OP
moonman2091

moonman2091

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but its the family that you get to be part of when you go to places that most people would never want to go. I did 10 months in a small JCOP in Afghanistan, we had less than 100 US personnel and then less than 75 French forces. Lived in tents and ate out of bags the whole time we were there for the most part and when I was there I was so ready to go home. But now looking back that is the closest bond I have ever had to another human as the guys that I did daily foot patrols with.
You're exactly right. It's the brotherhood I'll forever miss.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Names David.

My wife and I have a 150g bow front saltwater aqaurium. We've had it going on 2 years now. Learn a ton from our LFS and a couple of items on here before joining. And YouTube was a help as well. But our tank is thriving and will do better when I get some other things going.

Our aqaurium was given to us by her aunt and uncle who were moving and no longer wanted the tank so we moved it over 2 hrs away.

We have a purple tang, 4 clowns, leopard wrasse, and royal gramma.

Our corals include:
Combo rock of zoas and mushrooms and gsp
1 acan
1 small frag of zoas
Candy cane
Frogspawn similar to a torch
Green cabbage leather
Huge toadstools
Rent encrusting monti

Gonna seek some advice in the near future with lighting and chaeto additions as I plan to completely revamp and build a new stand for our aqaurium. So thanks ahead of time for the advice.

And herea a few pics I have of our aqaurium

20191129_230504.jpg received_2464500343604078.jpeg 20191130_133411.jpg 20191130_133402.jpg 15755935509171425373265003104048.jpg 20191123_214832.jpg
Welcome to R2R.
This is a great site to get a lot of honest and courteous responses

U

User1

View Badges
Well cant say a lot since my job requires a secret clearance. But that was on a hill top in a remote place far away lol. Its was for our equipment for our radar. My job was to detect incoming missiles, mortars, rpgs, helos, fast movers(jets), and anything else inside our designated radius.

Cool - figured as much. No worry on the clearance - been there done that. Former airforce (no idea why it censored A.F.) in aircraft armament. I've slept with many an airframe or positional combat turn ready bird with B-61's. So I know the rules. 4 years active duty in Okinawa so been all over PACAF. Next set of orders took me to EMEA but that was enough - we couldn't take the constant 45 day TDY's so called it. Missed working on planes so found a ANG unit and retired 26 years later.

OP
OP
moonman2091

moonman2091

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool - figured as much. No worry on the clearance - been there done that. Former airforce (no idea why it censored A.F.) in aircraft armament. I've slept with many an airframe or positional combat turn ready bird with B-61's. So I know the rules. 4 years active duty in Okinawa so been all over PACAF. Next set of orders took me to EMEA but that was enough - we couldn't take the constant 45 day TDY's so called it. Missed working on planes so found a ANG unit and retired 26 years later.
Awesome man. Always glad to meet other vets who share the interest in the hobby and can lean on with knowledge about the hobby as well.

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're exactly right. It's the brotherhood I'll forever miss.

You can never make those bonds again and it seems like life gets busy but you know I have often wondered how many people on here are form service and if a thread would be a good place to meet other service members/former service members.

I have had a great experience with reef2reef but would be nice to have a place to B.S. with other guys that have been in the "stuff"

OP
OP
moonman2091

moonman2091

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never make those bonds again and it seems like life gets busy but you know I have often wondered how many people on here are form service and if a thread would be a good place to meet other service members/former service members.

I have had a great experience with reef2reef but would be nice to have a place to B.S. with other guys that have been in the "stuff"
I keep in contact with my sniper buddy daily. But we live about 30 mins from each other. He's shown interest in my aqaurium and may purchase one in the future. And im sure there are tons of men and women on here who have served. This could be use as like a get away hobby to help keep you mind off things. Least I see it that way and enjoy it as well.

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep in contact with my sniper buddy daily. But we live about 30 mins from each other. He's shown interest in my aqaurium and may purchase one in the future. And im sure there are tons of men and women on here who have served. This could be use as like a get away hobby to help keep you mind off things. Least I see it that way and enjoy it as well.

I just found the hobby less than a year ago but it has been a total release of stress for me. Gives me a chance to keep my mind challenged and keep learning. It does create some stress but honestly this place has been a huge learning tool for me.

OP
OP
moonman2091

moonman2091

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found the hobby less than a year ago but it has been a total release of stress for me. Gives me a chance to keep my mind challenged and keep learning. It does create some stress but honestly this place has been a huge learning tool for me.
I have a feeling I will find it to be a massive learning tool as well. Especially in the near future I'm upgrading lights and I have a large in sunp refugium on the way and getting ready with the next water change to set up some chaeto.

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling I will find it to be a massive learning tool as well. Especially in the near future I'm upgrading lights and I have a large in sunp refugium on the way and getting ready with the next water change to set up some chaeto.

I started with a 20L, HOB Aquaclear I modified to be a fuge and some current USA lights. After about 3 months of that I found a used 225 gallon tank and went to town on wall in my store doing an in wall tank.

You will be happy you are adding the refugium. I have a 75 gal DIY sump that has about a 15-20 gallon refugium in it and there was a while I struggled to get any trace of NO3 or PO4. Now the tank is starting to balance out and making my life a bit easier.

I would total recommend doing a build thread! I mainly update mine for myself and to track what is happening in my tank so the updates come slow but hey it mainly for me.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome man. Always glad to meet other vets who share the interest in the hobby and can lean on with knowledge about the hobby as well.

There are a lot of us here. This last year at MACNA there was a fairly well attended meet-and-great for veterans. In addition to the many other wonderful aspects of reefing, it can be amazing therapy.

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of us here. This last year at MACNA there was a fairly well attended meet-and-great for veterans. In addition to the many other wonderful aspects of reefing, it can be amazing therapy.

I want to make it to MACNA next year, I didn't know they did a meet and greet like that. Where did they post that information so I can look for it next year.

OP
OP
moonman2091

moonman2091

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 20L, HOB Aquaclear I modified to be a fuge and some current USA lights. After about 3 months of that I found a used 225 gallon tank and went to town on wall in my store doing an in wall tank.

You will be happy you are adding the refugium. I have a 75 gal DIY sump that has about a 15-20 gallon refugium in it and there was a while I struggled to get any trace of NO3 or PO4. Now the tank is starting to balance out and making my life a bit easier.

I would total recommend doing a build thread! I mainly update mine for myself and to track what is happening in my tank so the updates come slow but hey it mainly for me.
Yeah I'm just adding some chaeto to help with keeping pods for our wrasse and look at gettin a mandarin goby as well. Also the nutrient benefits never hurt. And I'm looking for some ease off as well. Cause life does get busy. Right now I'm dosing calcium since we've added a few coral frags as they are starting to grow. Learned alot of the last 2 years and especially in the past few months with corals.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back