New poll: What lighting type(s) do you use over your primary coral tank?

WHAT LIGHTS DO YOU USE OVER YOUR CORALS?

• Metal Halide

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Fluorescent (e.g., T-5)

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • LED

Votes: 80 62.5%
  • LED and T-5

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • LED, T-5 and Metal Halide

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • T-5 and Metal Halide

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • LED and Metal Halide

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
N

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding MH and T-5, I really meant people who previously voted in the survey.

AustinBabler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 2 AI Prime 16HDs on a 40 breeder Softie dominate/euphyllia tank. Orphek on the reefer 250. I like the color from my AI lights but I hate these lenses.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding MH and T-5, I really meant people who previously voted in the survey.
Many people are changing their light preferences all the time... That's why... YouTube videos make a huge influence in this hobby today, and another reason why many can't maintain their systems stable.. changing chemistry as they change YouTube channels!!!!
Many that used to say they would "never use halides again" are using halides today... Many that used halides are using LEDs and they say it's the best thing they did!!! They love using those orange glasses and filters... And that happens to all types of lights all the time.
So this type of poll is juts a temporary evaluation, momentarily.
I know so many people that would be using halides if they could buy halide gear like before. LEDs rule the market and are well advertised and available and the majority think it's the coolest thing in the world!
They published videos about T5s being necessary to be used with LEDs a while go... people bought so many T5 supplemental fixtures... Not everyone is using them now. The videos are teaching different. The online stores want to sell other fixtures... It's all about the trend$.
The T5s only crowd should be the second in this race IMO. T5s is actually the very best for shallow water systems (less than 24") for coloration and colony formation IMO. Golden fixtures are the T5 only non-dimmable ATI Sunpower!!! The halides and T5s together are the very best in terms of offering the perfect combo of qualities we find in the ocean for shallow water organisms IMO. It offers the intensity and proper wide spectrum from halides, representing the sun, and at the same time the representation of sky light with T5s with superb natural colony/pigment formation and growth rates very similar to what we find in the ocean under the sun.
We all have different opinions and they change as we grow and observe results. Nonetheless this is a great pool. Thanks for initiating it!

OP
OP
N

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many that used halides are using LEDs and they say it's the best thing they did!!! They love using those orange glasses and filters.
Yeah, the blue/violet LEDs, actinic T-5s and deep blue MH do distort photographs, but they bring out the natural fluorescence many reefers love. Too much exposure does increase the risk of eye damage, but my SPS definitely seem happier under all blue and violet. When I take photos I use an orange filter and turn the whites up to 10%.

OP
OP
N

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this type of poll is juts a temporary evaluation, momentarily.
That was the goal--a snapshot. I don't expect to see a huge change from last year, but it should be interesting.

For example, three years ago BRS posted a Youtube video called:

The BEST light testing performance so far? What makes T5' the reef tank light Gold Standard?

Who knows how things stand now, since Radions are now boasting a panel with LEDs spread out to give better coverage (coincidentally matching what LED DIYers have done since the beginning).

Anyway, I hope to see some difference between this survey and last year's. I'd hate to see stagnation.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've got a pair of 250w halides, 4 50w nicrews, and a pair of 80w T5 running over my 125. The all have their strengths and their weaknesses but all 3 combined is pretty sweet, IMO.

My frag tank lighting consists of a 4 bulb 54w T5 fixture and 10 50w nicrews.

OP
OP
N

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no doubt that all three lighting types will grow SPS. September's Reef of the Month tank is all T-5, and it's fricking gorgeous! It makes me wonder what my 8-foot tank would be like with all T-5.

OP
OP
N

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the poll results from 2022 and 2023. While interesting, I'm not sure the numbers reflect any significant trends in just one year. I can imagine that the past ten years would show a huge change in technology. Not only has the technology changed, but our understanding PAR/PUR/PPFD, spectrum, photosynthesis, photoinhibition, etc.

MH
2.2​
3.1​
Fluorescent
6.2​
4.7​
LED
60.4​
62.5​
MH and LED
4.0​
7.0​
T5 and LED
20.7​
18.8​
T5 and MH
2.2​
3.1​
T5, LED and MH
3.1​
0.8​
Other
3.0​
n/a

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back