new popbloom rs90

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High settings, but, maybe this light is meant to be running high...

Also, i discover one bug in controller, hoping that new version will be here to test it, to see if it's corrected in beta....

If it is, no need to discuss it, if not, there will be time to report it, and to be fixed.... ;)

Aquagen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High settings, but, maybe this light is meant to be running high...

Also, i discover one bug in controller, hoping that new version will be here to test it, to see if it's corrected in beta....

If it is, no need to discuss it, if not, there will be time to report it, and to be fixed.... ;)
This will be sps dominant. May still add 4 more light bars yet or 2 more rs90. Depends on how the corals colour up once I start adding them.

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i ordered this off ebay. so am i to assume now i need to order an extension cable to connect the controller. 1. why in would they not include it? and 2. why would they not suggest that you need it? Can you run these without the controller?

1655258342777.png

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how or why, i did get extension cable, around 0.5m lenght...

They dont include it probably because its not needed, you can connect all without problems, only thing is that controller needs to be mounted close to light units.

Again, why would they suggest that u need one, when in fact you dont....

Why in the world you want to run lights without controller?

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
- it was suggested in previous posts that the cables from the controller to the lights were short and that you will need an optional extension cable. see post #286 for reference. I would like to mount the controller in my cabinet out of sight and will need the extension to do this. so, yes I do need a longer cable and thus the optional extension.

- there are many brands of lights, like GHL Mitras, Maxspect to name a couple, that have an onboard contoller that can be used to operate the lights without an external controller. thats why i asked about running without the controller.

- Thanks for your feedback.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ok, i know, but, why didnt you ask seller for extension cables before buying, i mean, you did know that u will need them.... ;)

Wondering why did they not include exact lenght that u need...

Also, apples and oranges, this is type of light with external controller, so comparing this light to lights that have controller buildt in.... Again, no point.

I think that u can run them without controller, but, normaly, without way to controll them ;)

I think that you carefully read this topic, so, there is no suprises, you did know exactly what u are buying... ;)

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is an update I had from their facebook page : "Hi Alain, my R&D are negotiate with app developers and some technical difficulties have resulted in new controller delayed rollouts. I am sorry for this."

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, bad news actually reveals great news - there will be app, and where is app, there is some connectivity..

Good news, worth waiting.

Lets hope that actual "color presets" will be added, not just generic intensity presest...

Fixed color schemes with customizable intensity and duration.... Way to go!

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still no news on my side. I don't think waiting for anything is worth it. When and if they end up developing a new controller, then great news, cant wait to try it. I am satisfied with the light for the price, and I prefer if they can come out with a good well thought controller with very few bugs than a rushed buggy piece of crap. So, @Oliver@DSunY , take your time and amaze us, please!

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, i finally gave up...

I build hybrid light, using two popbloom rs90, and 4 54w t5 bulbs. Nothing fancy, simple aluminum fixture, still need to be wrapped in plastic for look, but, it works as is.

Question is, what lamp to use to supplement rs90?

For now, i was in rush to make things work, so i use what i have laying around in my "reef stash", and that is

Arcadia Marine blue - which is actinic lamp, if i'm right?
JBL Marine day - 15000K white lamp
Aquanova Blue 2500K x 2- which is blue lamp, with some touch in actinic and teal, probably from 400-550 range, with higher peak in blue, it's very hard to find usefull info on this bulb, but it produces nice blue-tealish light....

Result is not that bad, but, of course, not great.

I was thinking of leaving for now 2 aquanova, and add 2 more ati true actinic, for that deep blue pop, i really don't think i need white lamp.... Or may,e, 2 ati actinic, and one purple plus, to replace one aquanova blue?

Also, i'd like to hear suggestions what timings and % on rs90 u using, in combination with t5?

Tnx!

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an update from Oliver about the controller. Bad news first: it wont be available before next year. He talked about sending me a test unit maybe may...so I guess might be available third/fourth quarter 2023? Good news now: it looks really good. From what I saw, software is really well made, all customisations are easy to program, lot of options too. Looks like it is made by Tuya for those who know them. I already have lot of home automation controlled with their software, and they are good at it. From what I understand, the upgrade might be from replacing the board directly in the light...so I guess the other controller will become obsolete. I am waiting for Oliver to let me know if I can share pictures and videos he showed me.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx for sharing....

By the time new controller come, it will be time for new light, for sure, so.... ;)

Didn't get it - did you get new controller, or just some information about it?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back