new popbloom rs90

sevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you installing these on?
60 x 24 w x 20 h
Ive finished drilling it. Came with one xaqua so have added another. Want to add a few braces though as its quite old. 12mm glass opti-white bevelled edges
double base rimless. Shame but i would feel safer :)
Currently have a fluval velencia 450 litre corner marine covert with sump, with the older dsuny lights. Its leaning to one side going through the floor so will swap contents over. Also have a couple of small tanks.

JW3500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking if 3 would be enough for a 150 72" x 18" x 29"? Or maybe 4. 2 in the center and 1 at each end.

sevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking if 3 would be enough for a 150 72" x 18" x 29"? Or maybe 4. 2 in the center and 1 at each end.
Its 24" square per light but i guess the edges will taper of in par a little at the edges. You will get a clearer picture when alain finishes his par test on the edges. Its pretty much the same as the red sea rs90 light but with Slightly different colour leds, that has 60cm spread also.
I think it will be close but no one has corals at the ends of there tank. Alains picture is on a large tank with two so that gives you an idea.

DanInMichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have these improved over the older Turing 30s? Looks like the par might be a little lower on these rs90s.
vs

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi sorry for the late updates. have been doing a lot of OT at work, and with a 4 month old baby, I dont have a lot of free time! But I did have time to clean up that bird nest and monty cap, looks much better and it help with water flow too. I messed a bit with controller too, checking the presets. Fought my GHA infestation too, and I must admit that using the reduce ALGAE preset did what it is supposed to do! under the rs90, the rocks are now practically GHA free, while I still have some under the old maxspect. This weekend, I will do my best to complete the par tests. But until now, everyone seems happy in the tank, PE are great, love the coloration on corals. The transition was without any issue from the old light to the new ones.

Attachments

• 20210127_054058[1].jpg
    20210127_054058[1].jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 337
  • 20201211_230114[1].jpg
    20201211_230114[1].jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 320
  • 20201211_230232[1].jpg
    20201211_230232[1].jpg
    76 KB · Views: 264
  • 20201211_230129[1].jpg
    20201211_230129[1].jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 20201211_230211[1].jpg
    20201211_230211[1].jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 254
  • 20201211_230156[1].jpg
    20201211_230156[1].jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 312
OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have these improved over the older Turing 30s? Looks like the par might be a little lower on these rs90s.
vs
if you compare both spectrum, they are setup differently. The RS90 is more into the 450-470 spectrum and less into the white and red, and by a big margin- 65w vs 25w. The PAR might be greater on the old one, but the PUR (photosynthetically usable radiation) will be better on the RS90. Furthermore, the design of having all LED under a single lens help on the color blending of the light, making less rainbow effect.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to see a rail kit with legs so that it can sit on a eurobraced tank. Like a RMS track.
In my case, the tank is 72", 180 gallon.
Mount arms would be great too, as long as it worked on a eurobrace tank.
OK, we will consider this requirement of railkit with legs. ;-)

Now, there are 2 type of base.
1, a small base is designed for rimless or usual rimmed tank from 0.8-2mm thickness
2, a big one is designed for odd shape tank.

are they ok for EuroBraced tank.
Would please may it possible show the part of rim at EuroBracked tank ?

Attachments

• 支改.png
    支改.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 421

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vs
hope this picture is able to explain

Attachments

• 无标题.jpg
    无标题.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 648
OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-tested using seneye reef.
-tested only with popbloom RS90 on (one on left side and one on right side)
brand new lights, setup ay 100% on all 4 channels. (PUR show 74% on seneye)
-installed 8 inches above water line.
-24 inch tank.
-return pumps are running, making small ripple on water. waver maker off.
180gal par.jpg

Attachments

• 20210131_102503[1].jpg
    20210131_102503[1].jpg
    83 KB · Views: 577

sevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Oliver, as requested, here is a photo of the Eurobrace on my Tank.
IMG_0350.png
I checked my light bracket for you,
while looking at Oliver's pictures above.
It will fit backward on the euro brace.
you can lower the bracket depending on water level until it hits the water i guess so it would be set at around 12" above water level with not
much adjustment if that makes sense.
I took a quick mock up picture.
tank.jpg

Last edited:

sevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats good news Alain, look forward to the pictures.
I hope you got a good deal?
Thanks for the review, hoping to get my lights up soon.

DanInMichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked my light bracket for you,
while looking at Oliver's pictures above.
It will fit backward on the euro brace.
you can lower the bracket depending on water level until it hits the water i guess so it would be set at around 12" above water level with not
much adjustment if that makes sense.
I took a quick mock up picture.
tank.jpg
hmm. can you tell me what length of the horizontal arm is?

sevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top bar has a slide adjustment with the light mount on top which runs across the top bar from narrow to further than the bar which is 14 inch to 15 inch max.
The light also connects at the side bringing the centre of the light 2 inches further than that max.
pretty flexible adjustment.
Might rig up for you tomorrow using the table as a eurobrace ?
I will have to put them together etc
My tank is still unfinished
Cheers

sevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show, or send me some more pictures of your brace. I want to get mine cut this week. Yours looks cool, was thinking the same as your or running it on the top of the glass. (Easier) Just want to see the joins.
Thanks

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will receive my light by the end of the weeks, pretty excited to see full tank lit with those light. They are really making the color comes out. My green slimer, green deepwater acropora and the other acropora, which I am not sure of the ID, are exceptionally colored and growing well, even developing new branches since switching lights. The polyp extension is longer than they ever been. Hope it will help give some more life to my old myagi tort throning sadly in the center of my tank. Honestly, I dont miss my old overpriced maxspect razer one second.

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the 2 additionnal lamp yesterday. Was disapointed to realize that the rail kit that @Oliver@DSunY said was giving me, was not included. But yet, I didnt pay for it, so... I just had time to install the lamps quickly between work, diner baby bottle and sleep (working 12hours daily dont leave much time) and take a quick picture. I see some shadow from the center bracing, but guess I will just have to reposition lights. Will take PAR measurement this weekend. One negative point that I found out on thos lamps are the power connector. Unlike the control cable, which are screwed in, the power is only pushed in, so very easy to disconnect and fall in water. I will probably end up taping it like I used to protect those telecom tower connector: 3 pass rubber tape, 3 pass of electrical tape. IMAO, they should really improve those connector and make it water tight, even if it means paying an extra; it is a liability on a reef tank. (not counting that it is certain to rust after a time)
20210208_180619.jpg

Last edited:

sevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the 2 additionnal lamp yesterday. Was disapointed to realize that the rail kit that oliver@dsuny said was giving me, was not included. But yet, I didnt pay for it, so... I just had time to install the lamps quickly between work, diner baby bottle and sleep (working 12hours daily dont leave much time) and take a quick picture. I see some shadow from the center bracing, but guess I will just have to reposition lights. Will take PAR measurement this weekend. One negative point that I found out on thos lamps are the power connector. Unlike the control cable, which are screwed in, the power is only pushed in, so very easy to disconnect and fall in water. I will probably end up taping it like I used to protect those telecom tower connector: 3 pass rubber tape, 3 pass of electrical tape. IMAO, they shpule really improve those connector and make it water tight, even if it means paying an extra; it is a liability on a reef tank.
20210208_180619.jpg
Oliver? Send him the rail kit?
Its the same on the red sea led 90. Also push fit power. Waterproof put can be pulled out if you catch them.
They assume you will tank mount them is my guess.
Ive never had a problem with the older dsuny lights also the same fitting but i always tank mount and cable tie.
Even tmc with there reef photon now has upgraded to the turn power water proof connector from the old push fit power on the old aquaray.
I agree and cant see why all manufactures haven't used the safer option.

Back