nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
how are you reef2reef members

so i am planing to get a new shipment of fish next month
it is going to be a large shipment but i don't want to sell any thing direct i would like to QT the fish first

so i need some advice for the processes of them and some recommendations

my plan now is to make 4 systems
1- standalone system each tank has sponge filter and media only (Used when i get the fish for a week to cheek on them)
2- full systems connecting to each other for copper medication
3- full system connecting together for other medication if needed
4- large system and full cycled to keep the fish after the end of the treatments and ready to sell

what do you thing about this setup ? also what about the sizes of the aquariums smaller better ? or large one ?
also should i mix the fish or keep each type alon ?
i will get around 50 type of fish and +500 fish
some fish like wrasses and butterfly i won't put them in copper

so what is your recommendations for everything ?

i will have a large conteriner that i started a cycle on them it has rocks and media so i can use it any time i need and its very clean will use only Bactria from the bottles on them

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is lots to break down in your post, but it seems like a good process. Not knowing the volumes of the systems makes it difficult to say if the will be enough room for 500 fish, you also need to ensure you have enough compartments in each system to isolate incompatible species.
Take a look at the top post n this section, it describes my current quarantine protocol...I used that in opening a new public aquarium, many thousands of fish over the past five years...
Jay

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is lots to break down in your post, but it seems like a good process. Not knowing the volumes of the systems makes it difficult to say if the will be enough room for 500 fish, you also need to ensure you have enough compartments in each system to isolate incompatible species.
Take a look at the top post n this section, it describes my current quarantine protocol...I used that in opening a new public aquarium, many thousands of fish over the past five years...
Jay

the size of the aquaruims
1- around 1500L
2- 950
3- 950
4- 2000L

there is also 800L tanks for the large fish, sharks and eel

yes i already saw your post
but for the copper it can be for 15 days right?
also what is better
prazie pro then copper or copper then prazie pro ?

for the fish that can't handel the copper only tank transfer will do ?

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also for the new shipments
when i get the new fish it will take 1-2 days to arrive to me
what is the best possess to acclimate it ? because what i know if i opened the bag the ammonia will raise quickly
is there something i can use or just acclimate the temperature only ?

also i usually do a dip with formaline for 45m then 10m freshwater bath before i add the fish to the tanks all the fish i do this for them
is it a good idea ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimating long shipments is very tricky. One method is to match temperature, pH and salinity and move the fish immediately out of the high ammonia into that, then acclimate to the tank levels from that point. It is a rise in pH while there is still ammonia in the water that kills the fish.
I would NOT dip the fish in FW or formalin when the first arrive, they ate too stressed at that point, you can really harm them. Remember, dips are never 100% effective, so you will need to treat for flukes, etc anyway.
I prefer to dose copper and then prazi. I treat with copper for 30 days, but you can do 14 days copper, then prazi, a lot of people do that.
Jay

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimating long shipments is very tricky. One method is to match temperature, pH and salinity and move the fish immediately out of the high ammonia into that, then acclimate to the tank levels from that point. It is a rise in pH while there is still ammonia in the water that kills the fish.
I would NOT dip the fish in FW or formalin when the first arrive, they ate too stressed at that point, you can really harm them. Remember, dips are never 100% effective, so you will need to treat for flukes, etc anyway.
I prefer to dose copper and then prazi. I treat with copper for 30 days, but you can do 14 days copper, then prazi, a lot of people do that.
Jay

ok sound great
for treatment
copper then praziepro that will be enough right ?
should i do anything else ? also copper with los silinty is not recomanded right?

for butterfly fish, angels and wrasses
only prazie pro ? what else should i do with them?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't treat copper and low salinity at the same time. Some people do that, but I think it is stressful. I also treat almost every species with Coppersafe, even wrasses. I do not, however, use copper on mandarins, and I don't buy fairy and velvet wrasses. Never use ammonia removers or reducing agents when dosing with copper - there is a worry that they can cause toxic reactions.

Jay

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't treat copper and low salinity at the same time. Some people do that, but I think it is stressful. I also treat almost every species with Coppersafe, even wrasses. I do not, however, use copper on mandarins, and I don't buy fairy and velvet wrasses. Never use ammonia removers or reducing agents when dosing with copper - there is a worry that they can cause toxic reactions.

Jay

ok sound amazing
we will get the fish in 2 weeks
Coppersafe same as Cupramine Seachem?

also want to ask about TDS is it importent to the fish ? my tap water is 95-100
RO can get it to 5 and di 0
what is the best should i use ?
nothing or RO or RODI ?

also what is the ideal tmep?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, coppersafe and Cupramine are two different formulations. I’ve not used Cupramine as much.
TDS isn’t super important for fish, but RO is often a good compromise to use.
I keep my fish quarantine tanks right around 79 F.
Jay

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, coppersafe and Cupramine are two different formulations. I’ve not used Cupramine as much.
TDS isn’t super important for fish, but RO is often a good compromise to use.
I keep my fish quarantine tanks right around 79 F.
Jay

ok will buy coppersafe as well

ok another thing tank space
how much should the fish have ? cuz i saw some video the space for each fish is very small
same as here

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok will buy coppersafe as well

ok another thing tank space
how much should the fish have ? cuz i saw some video the space for each fish is very small
same as here

That is a typical wholesaler cubicle. These tangs can fight, so they house them alone. I would not try to quarantine one of these for 30 days in a cubicle like this.

Jay

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a typical wholesaler cubicle. These tangs can fight, so they house them alone. I would not try to quarantine one of these for 30 days in a cubicle like this.

Jay

oh ok so i will keep it same open space and large
thanks alot for helping and all the information

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back