New R2R Record for Tin?!

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a crown I want to wear. 91 micrograms/l (.09ppm). Up from 14 in April.

Recently plumbed a UV to fight dinos do a few PVC fittings there plus I think the cannon itself is PVC so that’s a possible suspect.

SPS colonies I’ve had for years through 3 tanks STNing so it’s pretty fed up. Tank is a year old, upgraded from a smaller system. I’ve removed the sand bed to beat Dinos (worked) and look for screws etc, taken apart every pump and magnet with nothing obvious except the Eshopps probe holder pictured below. It’s sealed up pretty tight so idk if that was it.

After the 14mg/l reading I found my circulation pump in my mixing station had a rusting magnet so assumed that was the source but apparently was not.

Posting here to see if there is any development on definitive way to remove tin from the reef aquarium?

i tossed in a bag of cuprisorb in April and it seemed to help. Currently have more on the way as well as metasorb. I’ve done several 20g water changes (65g System) since the STN picked up to no avail.

F73E63D0-4CAA-44F1-BF09-A73A027F404B.jpeg 721A3A2A-011E-4F99-98AB-ED187B32CE49.png 2422E7D0-8567-4722-B831-6E0DD1389A20.png

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ICP’d your fresh mix salt water? I did and it was the source at 70 mg/l.

I changed my ro/di filters, made new water and tested,it and icp came back 0 on all bad metals like tin.

Still waiting on more tests to narrow down ro/di or salt. Expensive to test so much but it was driving me crazy like you.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ICP’d your fresh mix salt water? I did and it was the source at 70 mg/l.

I changed my ro/di filters, made new water and tested,it and icp came back 0 on all bad metals like tin.

Still waiting on more tests to narrow down ro/di or salt. Expensive to test so much but it was driving me crazy like you.

Good point and I guess the logical next step. I’m militant with filter changes as we have Chloramines here bad so every filter (7 stage incl 2 carbon block and pro-di) is changed out frequently so that would surprise me but at this point not much.

I did order an ATI icp Test just to get a second take on it. Theirs include a RO Test but idk to what extent.

I use Red Sea blue bucket and it’s mined vs like TMPR being pharma ingredients so perhaps that could be it too.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a 7 stage ro/di and the filters had not exhausted color much, so I’m still skeptical ro/di. I have two tests coming back this week, then the final test is to mix a fresh batch with the red sea salt batch i have and test that again. After verifying my ro/di water is all 0s which i did with icp.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered an ATI and 3 Triton Tests to get to the bottom of this. ATI so I can get a different reading to confirm and more importantly test RO water. Then I’ll test new mixed salt water and see where that’s at and then I’ll pull my hair out and scream!

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I just got my ICP tests back, one testing fresh mix ESV salts, one testing my tank water after 5 water changes with ESV.

Tin came back at 0mg/l in both tests.

All heavy metals 0 in fresh mix ESV

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I just got my ICP tests back, one testing fresh mix ESV salts, one testing my tank water after 5 water changes with ESV.

Tin came back at 0mg/l in both tests.

All heavy metals 0 in fresh mix ESV

Well this is positive news! further supports my theory there was a bad batch of Red Sea.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Quick ? and thought

What uv did you hook up. Search for Metasorb from little fishes. Best I have found compared to polyfilter and cuprisorbr

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Quick ? and thought

What uv did you hook up. Search for Metasorb from little fishes. Best I have found compared to polyfilter and cuprisorbr

It was an Emperor 25w. I pulled it offline as the dinos are gone and wanted to remove the possibility of more tin from the new pvc.

I added Metasorb a couple days ago as well.

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might hold the record for Vanadium. The culprit being some Tahitian Black Moon sand. Acceptable levels are between 2-10, I was over 9 thousand.

DFD9C614-83F2-4655-9A80-298B204CD814.jpeg 46AEF5B3-9F51-4E17-B17E-41453216925C.jpeg

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is positive news! further supports my theory there was a bad batch of Red Sea.

My polyp extension is off the hook today. On the right path I think.

[EDIT] Are you going to test the red sea fresh mix? We could confirm whether bad batch, or we could let it go. My current plan is to use it for de-icing the driveway this winter.

Last edited:

RCeiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. I’d run cuprisorb and plenty of GFO. Might also want to do a large water change to help reduce. Sucks.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My polyp extension is off the hook today. On the right path I think.

[EDIT] Are you going to test the red sea fresh mix? We could confirm whether bad batch, or we could let it go. My current plan is to use it for de-icing the driveway this winter.

Unsure. Depends what I see with the ATI of my RO and tank water.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton came back on fresh mixed Red Sea Blue. No tin, but high in manganese and barium. From what I’ve read that’s to be expected with most salts.

Still waiting on ATI test of RO and tank water.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the issues you have been having, I'm curious, do you run socks on your system? Do you use a washer to clean them?

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!

Got the ATI results back-
31 micrograms / L in the tank
0 in RO water

So from this we can assume:
1. Water changes diluted the tin
2. Cuprisorb and metasorb May have helped but not much as I have done 2 30% water changes and then normal 10%.
3a. Something in the tank is the tin culprit
3b. The probe magnet mount pictured above was the culprit.
3c. Something I’m adding to the tank contains tin.

I’ve already inspected every piece of equipment in the tank, removed every grain of sand to check for screws etc, all the pvc and tank is a year old.

So either something inside possibly the jebao pumps is leaching, or one of the few things I add contains tin.

These include:
BRS Pharma 2-part
LRS reef frenzy soaked in Selcon then drained through net before feeding
Fauna Marin pellets w/ spirulina
Very occasionally a drop of lugols

I’m at a bit of a loss.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Srry that you haven't found it. That is very frustrating.

[edit] If it helps any, I use reef frenzy and selcon as well and that it not a source of tin for me.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back