New Reef - All In

drcrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks,

I've had a large 150 gal tank w/ 60 gal sump for about a year now; and alas, I am moving. I have to rebuild pretty much everything; but now I am a much wiser reefer and have more pointed questions for the new build up. I'm pretty much going all in on this tank since it will hold a very prominent display location in the new house.

The Tank
The new spot can probably only fit a 48"x 24" (measurements pending). The last tank I purchased had dual corner overflows. The pre-drilled overflow concept was great, except the corner overflows about 50% of the side view of the tank is those ugly pvc pipe overflows. I'm considering this as the new tank: https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/aqueon-tank-megaflow-black-48lx24wx24h-120gal.aspx as I've really liked the pre-drilled; however, those overflows look huge and in the way. The question is two fold.
  1. Does anybody know of a great pre-drilled tank brand who has very sleek overflows? Pictures with inhabitants are greatly helpful.
  2. Are there any really good sleek overflow boxes which are "self-siphoning"?
For the tank, I am going to use my miter saw w/brick blade on it to cut a bunch of rock and silicone to do aquascaping to hide various equipment such as the pumps etc; so any overflow type stuff will be hidden in this way with likely another 1-2" thick layer of rock glued to it.

I'm willing to spend up to probably $1500 on the tank itself assuming it is worth it.
Innovative Marine - 100 gal looks cool
glasscages.com has a ton of stuff and options.

Zero-ish Maintenance Objective (Equipment Room)
Previously, I just did quarterly water changes + purple up and had a 20 gallon refugium. Key parameters like ammonia, nitrate, nitrite were always super stable and awesome. Alk, Ca, Mg had wild swings and it showed in my coral health on top of guessing my lighting. Also, a hurricane took out power for 5 days which killed off 90% of my inhabitants. Additionally, I did not have ATO or automated feeding, which meant vacations had to be less than 3 days. My objective is ZERO water changes. I need to fit ALL equipment in a cabinet under the tank.
  1. I'm going to use the latest Neptune Systems w/ Probes and add PAR + ATO (10 gal) + Auto Feeding
  2. Sump: I'm torn between the EShopps R-200 & Trigger Systems Saphire 34.
  3. Dosing. I was going to simply use Kalkwausser in the ATO. Is that enough, or do I need to add additional dosing of other trace elements? If so, what are folks thinking? I could add the Neptune Dosing System. I intend to have a high demand system; obviously at the beginning it won't be, but I want to ensure I have the space + room I need ahead of time for stuff.

Cabinet
Last time I built my own cabinet. It looked great and was functional. I might do that again. Anybody know a good cabinet that may have thought of many of the needs of a reefer ahead of time? Like hooks and things to hang your equipment on, hangers for a refugium light? Prefferably a cabinet that is more sleek and modern-ish.

Did I miss anything?
I've already got reefbreeder lights, a great skimmer, return pumps. I'll probably want to replace my refugium light with another cost effective one (My current one is starting to not behave properly). I'm very good at plumbing now.

Last edited:

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Planet Aquariums out of Dallas TX.
Here are some pics to show the center overflow. They have several options for overflow placement.
Here are front and side view and also stand and canopy also came from Planet Aquariums. This tank is 48"x24"x24" (120 gallon) and 40 breeder sump. Total cost for tank, glass tops, stand, canopy, and overflow kit was $2300.
IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back