New Reef Build - equipment list

J Crew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I've been toying around with the idea of getting back into the hobby for some months now. Then I finally hopped back on to the forums (reef2reef is a new one for me), and started reading up on what is in vogue and what has changed over the 20 years I've been in the hobby. That journey took me to potentially buying a used reef, which I found, and then modifying that to suit my wants and needs. That then took me down a bunch of paths which then led me to the conclusion that I should just buy a new tank and buy exactly what I want instead of modifying someone else's used system. If budget was my main concern, then this would definitely be the route to take. But budget is not my 1st or even 2nd concern, so I've decided to purchase a new system and then buy what used equipment I can from other reefers on the forums.

Here's my basic list thus far:
  • Red Sea Reefer XL 525 G+ tank, stand, sump
  • BRS 7 stage pro RODI
  • Reefmat 500 fleece roller
  • Clear Water 50 Algae scrubber
  • Kessil a360x on mounting arms - 3 each
  • Octopus VarioS-8 return pump - 2 each for dual return pump redundancy setup
  • GHL Profilux 4 mega set + extra power supply (purchase lightly used) - for tank automation
    • I'll automate dosing, temp control, monitor ph & salinity, lighting schedule, control pump speed, and control pumps during feeding or maintenance. Maybe some other things I'm not thinking of off the top of my head as well.
  • Need input on a Skimmer still; maybe the RSK300?

I'm going to setup an ATO and Saltwater Mixing station in a separate room about 40 running feet away and will do automatic water changes and auto top off from that room. I'll use a simple setup to keep DI water in the tanks and then use the GHL to perform the ATO and AWC.

Any input on what I have thus far is welcome. I'm thinking about having the GHL KH Director as part of the system, but don't know yet. That automation between testing and dosing sounds appealing to me though.

Thanks again for looking my build list!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@J Crew welcome and good luck coming back into the hobby. Two thoughts for you.

First, while it’s easy to pick up a RedSea tank as sort of a turn key solution maybe consider a custom tank setup where you can plumb the sump not just for now but for ease of maintenance and expansion. This is also a chance to configure the tank to your liking (overflow placement, return lines, etc). There have been a few times where I wish I plumbed my tank differently. But I didn’t know any better.

Second, I went through the GHL vs Apex comparison. I ended up going with Alex because it seemed like it had a broader user base and much more newbie-friendly. In hindsight GHL ,Amy have been the better solution. But I can always switch it.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with the 525xl, you're better off with the RSK 600

20230604_203550.gif

Saltysav96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a reefer 525 and was using GHL p4 and doser and pulled it all off and went with hydros. i am GLAD i did. the GHL was way to much headache. always issues.

you are also going to want to run the reefmat 1200 instead of the 500. (red sea recommends the 1200 on this size tank)

2 varios 8 is OVERKILL.... (keep in mind this is something that can be controlled through hydros via 0-10v)

I Would also recommend the RO pulse wave pumps.. the pulse 4 moves a TON of water and are sooo overlooked in this hobby. ( can be controlled by the hydros wave engine direct drive)

hydros also has a recipe and accessories to automate RODI

OP
OP
J

J Crew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a reefer 525 and was using GHL p4 and doser and pulled it all off and went with hydros. i am GLAD i did. the GHL was way to much headache. always issues.

you are also going to want to run the reefmat 1200 instead of the 500. (red sea recommends the 1200 on this size tank)

2 varios 8 is OVERKILL.... (keep in mind this is something that can be controlled through hydros via 0-10v)

I Would also recommend the RO pulse wave pumps.. the pulse 4 moves a TON of water and are sooo overlooked in this hobby. ( can be controlled by the hydros wave engine direct drive)

hydros also has a recipe and accessories to automate RODI

I brushed over the Hydros because most of the searches that popped up mentioned support issues and that it was newer so it was tried and tested. I do like the little bit that I saw, although the KH Director and the Maxi doser are two reason I went GHL. I like the idea of being able to add (if I want to ) the KH Director to test and automate ALK dosing. I also like that the Maxi can move my water change water so the length that I need. I'll move up up a wall and through the attic space and back down to my tank. It will be about 40' total. Does the Hydros have a heavy duty doser like this? If not, I suppose I could get the Maxi stand alone unit. But I really want to keep everything within one system if I can.

DM with some photos of your setup if you can. Or DM your number and we can text if that's easier. I'd love to pick your brain some more. Thanks!

OP
OP
J

J Crew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated list based on feedback from other Reefers:
  • Red Sea Reefer XL 525 G+ tank, stand, sump
  • BRS 7 stage pro RODI
  • Reefmat 1200 fleece roller
  • Clear Water 50 Algae scrubber
  • Kessil a360x on mounting arms - 3 each
  • Octopus VarioS-8 return pump - 2 each for dual return pump redundancy setup (flow controlled thru GHL)
  • GHL Profilux 4 mega set + extra power supply (purchase lightly used) - for tank automation
    • I'll automate dosing, temp control, monitor ph & salinity, lighting schedule, control pump speed, and control pumps during feeding or maintenance. Maybe some other things I'm not thinking of off the top of my head as well.
  • RSK600 skimmer
  • Octo Pulse 4 Wave Pump (4500 GPH) with WaveEngine LE Controller + 2nd Wave Pump (thinking of using Hydros for the wave circulation)
Also, side thought:
Is there any of the sites that would give a discount on such a large purchase? I'm just wondering if a $7k, $8k, $9k purchase at once would get a discount from any of the online retailers. Any experience or thoughts around this? Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back