New reefer in Ohio

MattPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R community. New to reefing and loving the learning process! I am a diver and have wanted to bring that environment home. I recently retired and now have the opportunity plus it gives me something relatively new to learn and try to get good at.
So, we are doing a basement renovation project and I want to build a 90+- gallon reef tank into the corner of a wall. Lots of space behind the wall for support stuff. Want to plan right from the ground up. The only thing I really lack is a handy in floor drain. Plan an RODI in the renovation. Need some advice on the electrical support. I am thinking two outlets on separate circuits. Sound reasonable. Also want to mount the tank at the same height as a new bar which will be perpendicular to the tank (42"). Also would like tank that is roughly 2'x2'x3'. Again, advice welcome. Thanks in advance!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun..
start that build thread :) we can help along the way;)

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R community. New to reefing and loving the learning process! I am a diver and have wanted to bring that environment home. I recently retired and now have the opportunity plus it gives me something relatively new to learn and try to get good at.
So, we are doing a basement renovation project and I want to build a 90+- gallon reef tank into the corner of a wall. Lots of space behind the wall for support stuff. Want to plan right from the ground up. The only thing I really lack is a handy in floor drain. Plan an RODI in the renovation. Need some advice on the electrical support. I am thinking two outlets on separate circuits. Sound reasonable. Also want to mount the tank at the same height as a new bar which will be perpendicular to the tank (42"). Also would like tank that is roughly 2'x2'x3'. Again, advice welcome. Thanks in advance!
welcome to the show.
cube tank 36" deep?
I love deep tanks. mine is 30" deep.
at 36" deep lighting could be an issue if you intend to place corals on the bottom.
reaching the bottom also calls for some creativity.
we demand a Build Thread to follow along.
:cool:

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from a fellow Ohioan!

2 20 amp circuits should be good. I would definitely plan on putting in a floor drain, or tapping in an existing drain some how.
The best not other thing I might consider if I was planning an i wall system is size. A lot of people find themselves upgrading rather quickly. I would decide if a 3 foot long tank is going to satisfy everything you want to accomplish live stock wise.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!!! Two outlets are not enough. I would go with as many as you can reasonably install with at least two dedicated 20 amp circuits! This build of yours should be documented here... Member Tanks

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!!! Two outlets are not enough. I would go with as many as you can reasonably install with at least two dedicated 20 amp circuits! This build of yours should be documented here... Member Tanks
Curious as to why you think two outlets will not be enough? Thats what i installed for my tank. Everything is run on Apex and Kasa power strips... I only used 3 of the four outlets at the wall.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard if you are remodeling I would suggest at least one more dedicated circuit. Cheaper to add it up front than add it later. Where is the plumbing for your bar going should be able to tie into that if a short run, near by drain stack, floor drain? Keep us posted on your progress

Back