New Reefer, New Tank!

ShaunB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Excited to get back into the hobby after a 20+ year absence. My Dad and I kept koi in a giant pond we hand dug when I was a kid, then I kept discus in the house for a few years. Moved from England to the US when I was 23 on a one way ticket and haven't kept fish since. My wife and I just renovated our house and I built myself a little space to have an office and keep some fish. Thought I'd try saltwater this time for a bit of a challenge!

My good friend is a fantastic carpenter and we had him build us these sweet built in cabinets around a 36" x 18" x 24" acrylic tank I purchased. I would of liked to of gone bigger but this is what I was able to negotiate with the wifey!

IMG_6090.jpg

IMG_6398.jpg

IMG_7110.JPG

After watching a bajillion BRS and other YouTube videos, reading and learning as much as I can this past year while I finished up construction, I took advantage of some Black Friday deals and bought some gear. Knowing what I know now I would of built this room differently to help with some plumbing etc. but it is what it is and my challenge will be to work with what I have and not get too carried away like I usually do!

I figured this 24" wide Saphire cube sump would be a good choice. I can't fit a 36" wide sump in through the opening, a rectangular 24" wide would of had a little less water volume so this guy seems to fit. Looks awesome to boot! I have room for a good sized skimmer, refugium area, space to put a couple of heaters and return pumps.

IMG_7118.jpg

IMG_7119.jpg

IMG_7120.jpg

Got a matching Saphire 10 gallon ATO container. No idea how much this thing will evoporate so I figured if I have the room under the tank why not go with the 10 gallon instead of the 5 gallon. If it lengthens the filling intervals I'm happy. If I need room down the road for more equipment maybe I can switch it to the 5 gallon...

Also picked up a Reef Octopus 150SSS 6" Skimmer.
IMG_7121.jpg

IMG_7122.jpg

I purchased two 150w Cobalt heaters thinking I was going to be smart and build in a bit of redundancy. After rethinking it 1 of these likely isn't enough to maintain the tank so I may use these for a quarantine tank and the other for mixing salt. Then, install 2 higher wattage heaters in the sump...

Purchased a 16" Shadow overflow, scratching my head figuring out how to get all the plumbing neatly configured under the cabinet right now. I want to run dual return pumps for a bit of redundancy. Probably 1" drain and 3/4" return lines. Hoping to fit a manifold in there somewhere for potential expansion.

Also couldn't help myself and got totally carried away with the awesomeness of the Neptune Apex. Picked up one of those with the temp, ORP, PH and Salinity probes as well as the leak detector kit.

I'm hoping to update this thread as things progress (it will be slow!). Right now I'd love to see some under tank setups in a smaller space like I have so I can get ideas on how you all lay things out. I'm sure I won't have this exact same setup in 5-10 years but I'd like to at least give it my best shot in the beginning.

If anyone sees anything I'm doing wrong please don't hesitate to let me know!

Thanks,

Shaun

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ShaunB

Your friend is indeed a great carpenter and your 67g tank is beautiful.

You bought some solid good components to add. Your Trigger Saphier Cube sump is a great fit.

I have the Trigger Systems Emerald Sump-26 inch and the Trigger Emerald ATO Reservoir 5g for my custom 65g and they work nicely so I'm sure you will do fine as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

ShaunB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still collecting stuff! Roughing out everything right now. Drew out a few plumbing ideas and settled on this:

IMG_7248.jpg

This plumbing layout looks like it'll work. I have 2 return pumps for redundancy, skipped the anti-siphon valves as the sump should hold any drainage as I calculated that to be less than 6 gallons. If you see anything I missed please let me know!

IMG_7249.JPG

I figured out I could use the BRS mini-reactor for carbon and then I'm planning on using the Somatic UF-1 reactor for GFO, both of these I'm going to run off the return lines.

I'm going to use these 2 Eheim Compacton 3000 pumps. They are tiny which I like and if they are the same as the Eheim products I used 20 years ago should be good quality. They put out around 790gph but with the head and elbows I'm running that will be cut down to around 220gph each. That should give me around 5 times turnover. In the return chamber I also installed the Tunze Osmolator 3155.
IMG_7250.JPG

The skimmer section is kinda busy with the skimmer, 2 150w heaters and the GFO reactor in there but looks like it'll work.
IMG_7251.JPG

I don't have space to mount the electronics in a separate cabinet so need to figure out a venting/fan solution to keep the humidity down inside the cabinet...

I have a bunch of valves and fittings to play with, then to start plumbing! Once all that is done I'll strip everything out and epoxy the cabinet.

OP
OP
S

ShaunB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making progress! Next up I'd like to strip everything down and setup a freshwater leak test in my workshop. If you more experienced folks see anything I should work on/change or have any comments please let me know!

IMG_7389.JPG

IMG_7390.JPG

IMG_7391.JPG

Seppdelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not started my build yet, as I’m still learning and haven’t watched all the BRS vids yet, but you’re attempting to do what I hope to do- build it right the first time.

OP
OP
S

ShaunB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not much has happened on the tank front in months. I've come to the realization that right now with a very busy business and even busier family life I can't handle the learning curve of my first saltwater tank. I'm going back to tap water discuss.

I have a bunch of never used equipment I purchased from BRS but its past the 60 day return policy and a store credit does me little good there. I'd like to sell the following items:

Paypal or a money order works. Buy all of it and I'll cut you a deal!

Reef Octopus 150SSS 6" - never been used - $250 incl. shipping to the lower 48.
IMG_8775.jpg
IMG_8775.jpg

IMG_8776.jpg

Saphire 10 Gallon ATO Reservoir - Never been used - $150 incl. shipping to the lower 48.
IMG_8778.jpg

Tunze Osmolator 3155 - Never been used - $175 incl. shipping to the lower 48.
IMG_8774.jpg

150GPD BRS Deluxe 7 stage RO/DI System - Never been used - $300 incl. shipping to the lower 48.
IMG_8772.jpg

Somatic UF-1 Universal Media Filter - Never been used - $35 plus shipping
IMG_8777.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.5%
Back