Reefer NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've been a lurker on R2R for a long time and finally built up the courage (and funds) to pull the trigger on a Red Sea Reefer 170. I have had freshwater planted tanks my entire life, but this is my first attempt at a reef aquarium. I am aiming for mixed reef at first, but ultimately plan on adding some SPS.

Given that this is my first attempt at a reef tank, and you all have been so helpful in my initial planning for this tank, I would greatly appreciate some feedback on how I have done so far and what I should be looking to do next. I would like to start adding corals as soon as possible (although I am committed to being patient), but it is unclear to me what I should be looking for/where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached some photos of my tank, but here is the load-out:

Red Sea Reefer 170 (34 Gallon Display + 9 Gallon Sump = 43 Gallon)
Aquafuge 2 HOB Refugium + Aquafuge Stock Light (2.5 Gallons + 43 Gallons = 45.5 Total System Volume)
AI Prime 16 HD Reef LED + Gooseneck Arm
Hydor Koralia 3rd Generation Power Heads x2
Sicce Syncra Silent 3.0 (714 GPH)
Octo Classic 110-INT Protien Skimmer
Eheim

35lbs Reef Saver Rock
1.9L Marine Pure Spheres
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
BRS RO/DI 4 Stage Unit

2 Clownfish
3 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
6 Astrea Snails
3 Cerith Snails
Chaetomorpha (in the refugium)
Copepods (Algae Barn 5280 Pods 24oz)
Dosing 10ml Phytoplankton about once a week

I started the tank on February 22, 2020. I have been using the Red Sea Marine Care test kit to monitor the cycle and I am now confident the cycle is complete. My testing almost always results in 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 5ppm Nitrate (I do a 5 gallon water change roughly weekly). Here is the full testing report:

Temperature: 78 F
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
PH: 8.0
Alkalinity: 7 dKH

While the cycle/fish only situation seems to be under control, I am working to learn more about coral care and water testing. To that end, I am very interested in alkalinity. Any advice on what my testing reveals so far would be very helpful.

One thing I should note, I have not turned the light on a schedule yet (only in the fuge). I have not seen any algae growth or any other pests. Should I turn the light on?

Also, while I am quite novice at the reefing hobby, I did a lot of research before purchasing anything. To those looking to get into the hobby or purchase any of the components I have, I would be happy to answer any questions!

If you have taken the time to read all of this, thank you very much! R2R has been an amazing resource and all of you have been instrumental in my decision to join this hobby! THANK YOU!

IMG_4789.jpeg IMG_4791.jpeg IMG_4794.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer NYC

Reefer NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've been a lurker on R2R for a long time and finally built up the courage (and funds) to pull the trigger on a Red Sea Reefer 170. I have had freshwater planted tanks my entire life, but this is my first attempt at a reef aquarium. I am aiming for mixed reef at first, but ultimately plan on adding some SPS.

Given that this is my first attempt at a reef tank, and you all have been so helpful in my initial planning for this tank, I would greatly appreciate some feedback on how I have done so far and what I should be looking to do next. I would like to start adding corals as soon as possible (although I am committed to being patient), but it is unclear to me what I should be looking for/where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached some photos of my tank, but here is the load-out:

Red Sea Reefer 170 (34 Gallon Display + 9 Gallon Sump = 43 Gallon)
Aquafuge 2 HOB Refugium + Aquafuge Stock Light (2.5 Gallons + 43 Gallons = 45.5 Total System Volume)
AI Prime 16 HD Reef LED + Gooseneck Arm
Hydor Koralia 3rd Generation Power Heads x2
Sicce Syncra Silent 3.0 (714 GPH)
Octo Classic 110-INT Protien Skimmer
Eheim

35lbs Reef Saver Rock
1.9L Marine Pure Spheres
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
BRS RO/DI 4 Stage Unit

2 Clownfish
3 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
6 Astrea Snails
3 Cerith Snails
Chaetomorpha (in the refugium)
Copepods (Algae Barn 5280 Pods 24oz)
Dosing 10ml Phytoplankton about once a week

I started the tank on February 22, 2020. I have been using the Red Sea Marine Care test kit to monitor the cycle and I am now confident the cycle is complete. My testing almost always results in 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 5ppm Nitrate (I do a 5 gallon water change roughly weekly). Here is the full testing report:

Temperature: 78 F
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
PH: 8.0
Alkalinity: 7 dKH

While the cycle/fish only situation seems to be under control, I am working to learn more about coral care and water testing. To that end, I am very interested in alkalinity. Any advice on what my testing reveals so far would be very helpful.

One thing I should note, I have not turned the light on a schedule yet (only in the fuge). I have not seen any algae growth or any other pests. Should I turn the light on?

Also, while I am quite novice at the reefing hobby, I did a lot of research before purchasing anything. To those looking to get into the hobby or purchase any of the components I have, I would be happy to answer any questions!

If you have taken the time to read all of this, thank you very much! R2R has been an amazing resource and all of you have been instrumental in my decision to join this hobby! THANK YOU!

IMG_4789.jpeg IMG_4791.jpeg IMG_4794.jpeg
Woah--So much support! You guys are the best. Thank you so much!

Roshisatoshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEY big welcome, fellow RSR 170 here!! how do you like the fuge there? I've been considering that same setup but I'm not sure if it involves a lot of fabrication and altering the flow of the sump. Iva also considered going with a icecap scrubber.

OP
OP
Reefer NYC

Reefer NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEY big welcome, fellow RSR 170 here!! how do you like the fuge there? I've been considering that same setup but I'm not sure if it involves a lot of fabrication and altering the flow of the sump. Iva also considered going with a icecap scrubber.

Hello and thank you! I went back and forth on the fuge set up a lot. Overall, I am extremely happy with the Aquafuge 2 for the RSR170. It fits perfectly between the sump and the cabinet wall such that one would almost think it was made for this. Its also great that it effectively adds 2.5 gallons to your total water volume. My only caveats would be (1) the stock light is not that strong so I might suggest buying just the fuge and your own light and (2) as you can see in the picture, I rigged a rubber mat to the outflow to reduce the noise of the water falling into the sump (although I think Aquafuge also makes a bubble trap--this was just cheaper). I should also note that there is not a ton of flow in the fuge so my cheato does not tumble (maybe I can rig this). There is enough room for storage of certain supplies under the fuge too, and plenty of room on top for my electric panel. I am running two pumps in my return chamber because of the fuge, so keep that in mind as well.

Back