New Reefer

Port City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon All,

My name is Austin and I live in Wilmington NC. I have kept freshwater tanks while I was younger, I am looking to start the saltwater hobby with my son.

New build set up I am entertaining :
Tank:
CADE REEF 600 S2
Light:
Radion XR15 G6 Pro LED Light
Return:
Vectra S2 - Mobius Ready DC Return Pump (1400 GPH)
Flow:
VorTech MP40mQD - Mobius Ready QuietDrive Propeller Pump - EcoTech Marine
Heater:
200W Titanium Aquarium Heater System - WiFi - ink bird
Skimmer:
Quantum 120 Protein Skimmer - Nyos
Fleece:
ReefMat 500 Fleece Roller Filter - Red Sea

Does this set up look adequate?

And if so what is the best route/plan to add all the equipment?

Start with clowns/tangs with weekly 10-% water changes , then are live rock around four months?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef, Austin!

happy animation GIF by Disney Pixar

The equipment list looks like a great start! Personally, I'd hold off on the Tang(s) for a while until you have some algae growth. There are some really good 'intro to saltwater' threads on here. Start with this forum and check out the Sticky Threads...

New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums

c4haskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Personally I would add an additinal light and wave maker. As a semi new reefer myself I found a great deal of knowledge watching BRS 5 Minute Videos on YouTube. You can start using all the equipment right away, although some may argue no lights or skimmer until your tank has cycled. I see no benefit. Start out with a bottle of bacteria like Insant Ocean Bio-Spira to start your cycle. Once the tank is cycled then you can start adding your fish and corals. Biggest thing I've learned and the hard way is patience. As new and exciting as it is, you have to go slow and be patient for success. Best advice I can give you as a beginner myself.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! As already recommended, I'd hold off on tangs for a while. Also, you mention live rock at 4 months. Not sure if you mean adding live rock to your aquascape or not but you should add rock right at the beginning, it is a major part of your biological filtration for the tank.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
P

Port City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Personally I would add an additinal light and wave maker. As a semi new reefer myself I found a great deal of knowledge watching BRS 5 Minute Videos on YouTube. You can start using all the equipment right away, although some may argue no lights or skimmer until your tank has cycled. I see no benefit. Start out with a bottle of bacteria like Insant Ocean Bio-Spira to start your cycle. Once the tank is cycled then you can start adding your fish and corals. Biggest thing I've learned and the hard way is patience. As new and exciting as it is, you have to go slow and be patient for success. Best advice I can give you as a beginner myself.
If you can believe it BRS and their videos sold me on diving headfirst. Very valuable information. I’m OK with the patience department, it is my son that I will have to teach HA HA. Thank you for the tips and advice, much appreciated.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back