New RODI with High TDS....Stumped

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make a long story short, I am on my second BRS 6 stage, first one was replaced by BRS. The problems were:
  • High fluctuating TDS after RO membranes. Example: 25, 20, 22, 14, 19
  • Producing product water faster than waste​
  • Water continuing to run from waste line after closing ball valve on product line​

The replacement unit that I currently have set up, has the following issues:
  • High fluctuating TDS after RO membranes. Same example as above, but mostly staying in the upper teens with the lowest reading at 12
  • With dual membranes, waste and product water pretty much identical. Only producing about one pint more of product than waste per gallon
  • With a single membrane, I am getting about 1.75 gallons of waste to 1 gallon of product
  • Fluctuating pressure gauge. It has settled down, but it was constantly moving...the biggest jump was from 60+/- to 40+/- and than back, but most of the time it would fluctuate between 56 and 64. I hooked the gauge up directly to the faucet and I got a reading of 68, which is also the reading I had before purchasing the rodi.

Details:
  • Faucet psi: 68
  • Water Temperature: Currently 81 as I type, but it has been around 84 degrees Fahrenheit for the last week.
  • TDS: 187

Questions:
  • What would cause the high and fluctuating tds levels after the ro membranes?
  • Should my faucet pressure drop as it travels through the sediment and carbon filters? Currently at 68 psi without rodi and 64 psi when rodi is hooked up. If so, what is too much of a drop?
  • What would have caused the pressure gauge to fluctuate so much? Especially the drop from 60 to 40 and then back with no other water source being used at the time?

I would greatly appreciate any help or tips you can offer and sorry for any dumb questions...this is my first rodi system.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flowing pressure will be lower than static pressure in piping systems. 64 psig pressure is probably okay for your RO/DI system although there are pump to boost inlet pressure if needed.

OP
OP
T

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the tds come down when you run just one membrane?

How is the system hooked up to the water supply?

Unfortunately not :(

Using a garden hose adapter at the sink that has 1/4 tubing going to rodi

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, but I can check again

I just got a reading of 187 at the faucet I hook the rodi up to
If there is a restriction on the drain line or the flow restrictor is not functioning correctly, that can lead to high TDS in the product water.

OP
OP
T

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a restriction on the drain line or the flow restrictor is not functioning correctly, that can lead to high TDS in the product water.

I did question BRS about the flow restrictor on the first unit, but they didn't really pursue it during that conversation. I think they were thinking more of a membrane issue. One agent mentioned something about torn membranes. How can I determine if the flow restrictor functions properly?

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I determine if the flow restrictor functions properly?
Remove it from the outlet line, then run the RO system again and see if TDS is still high.

You can also just rig up city water to it, turn on the water, and see how much flow comes out of it. From the pictures I saw, it looks like they use 800 mL/min restrictors. You can also capture the water flowing through it to see if the flow is around 800 mL/min.

OP
OP
T

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did question BRS about the flow restrictor on the first unit, but they didn't really pursue it during that conversation. I think they were thinking more of a membrane issue. One agent mentioned something about torn membranes. How can I determine / test if the flow restrictor functions properly?

OP
OP
T

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove it from the outlet line, then run the RO system again and see if TDS is still high.

You can also just rig up city water to it, turn on the water, and see how much flow comes out of it. From the pictures I saw, it looks like they use 800 mL/min restrictors. You can also capture the water flowing through it to see if the flow is around 800 mL/min.

Thanks, I'll give it a try and post back later

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll give it a try and post back later
I'm trying to help you, man!

I seriously doubt it's two separate units with torn membranes.

Just for grins, make sure the flow arrow on the restrictor is pointed in the correct direction.

OP
OP
T

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to help you, man!

I seriously doubt it's two separate units with torn membranes.

Just for grins, make sure the flow arrow on the restrictor is pointed in the correct direction.

Sorry, I didnt mean to seem rude or unthankful. I meant I needed a little time to disconnect and hook up the restrictor to perform the test.

I would highly doubt it also...that's what has me stumped.

Arrow is pointed towards output of waste line.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the BRS 6 stage 150gpd Water Saver Deluxe Plus that uses a 550ml. During the test I got 18 ounces in one minute. The chart I looked up said it should be 18.5977 ounces.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I didnt mean to seem rude or unthankful. I meant I needed a little time to hook up the rodi and perform the test.

I would highly doubt *** also...that's what has me stumped.

Arrow is pointed towards output of waste line.
It's all good...I didn't take it that way. I was merely saying that I'm trying to help you eliminate variables as you troubleshoot the problem, although we haven't yet made much progress :)

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the BRS 6 stage 150gpd Water Saver Deluxe Plus that uses a 550ml. During the test I got 18 ounces in one minute. I chart I looked up said it should be 18.5977 ounces.
Well, now...that's interesting. So, inlet TDS, flow restrictor, and fluctuations in water supply pressure are all ruled out.

I have to admit....it's starting to look like a membrane or membrane housing issue.

I assume you've double-checked all the tubing to ensure it's been connected correctly?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back