New Shell Growth

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this derasa for about a month. At the time of purchase it had some new shell growth and it appears to have continued to put on new growth in my tank. Does anyone know how long this new shell growth would continue to look white if the clam stopped growing? I'm hoping to be able to recognize any issues that may arise before its too late if the clam stops putting on new growth.

IMG_3704.JPG

OP
OP
O

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I understand that. I'm wondering how long it would take that white growth to turn non-white if growth stopped.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ocboat
The shell change color because algae grow on them. How fast this happen is individualize for each tank but it take clams a while to die unless they got traumatized, of certain infection, or kill by fish or other animals. You will see that there will be no new growth when the clam is stress and not doing well.
Most of us looking at our tank daily if not more. You will see the shell growth, by the white area, but even if your tank have ultra, instant algae growth and there is not a white border on the clams shell, you can see it growth.
You will see new scutes as they are added, you will see the amount of growth from the last scutes that changes daily. The important think here is you already know that an fully extended mantel does not always mean that the clam is healthy and happy. Just observe the clam shell, you can see that it is growing without have to absolutely depends on the white color.

I hope I answer your question.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure did, thank you. I kept clams many years ago and never worried about new growth, it just happened and the clams grew very well. A few years ago I tried several clams again and never had the same success as before. The clams grew slowly or not at all. This is the first clam in my new tank so I am trying to be much more observant of the growth this time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back