New SPS bleached

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello !

I added the orange setosa as a test and overnight it was completely bleached . We are 48hrs past adding and it is still bleached .

Here are tank paramaters (nutrafin mastertest Kit)
Temp: 76
Salinity: .24
pH:8.6
KH: 200mg/l
Phosphorous : 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.3
Nitrate :5

Flow - low/moderate
Lighting - 300w LED black box (50% intensity)

Anything I may have missed ?

Kayalvarez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience sps need high flow, high lights and stable params, also need to aclimate to your aquarium light slowly u cant just throw it on a high light spot..my 2 cents

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too familiar with that test kit, how accurate is it with PO4? Can your tank really be zero (no nutrient)?

With your dkh north of 11 how long was the acclimation? Possible shock if store kept there's at nsw levels?

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been fairly accurate and my water sample tests have always tested the same as when my LFS tests it. But I do not know the accuracy compared to other kits.

I have a fairly large amount of Macroalgae in the tank so I would think my PO4 should be low .

I did 30min of floating the bag to temp and then a 30min drip, as mentioned reduced my light intensity to 50% (added coral to dark tank) and placed in lower half of tank

Not too familiar with that test kit, how accurate is it with PO4? Can your tank really be zero (no nutrient)?

With your dkh north of 11 how long was the acclimation? Possible shock if store kept there's at nsw levels?

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It stressed out, I would also get those phosphates up..but more importantly what is your alk,cal and mag parameters at and are they stable..I find this link very helpful when I get new corals shipped or I pick them up..I don’t believe in the theory of floating bag

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of tank, age of tank, par you have it under, par it was under, alk it was in, was the frag shipped?

phixman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of the coral? I have a feeling it RTN'd.

Temperature 77-78 is what I keep mine
Salinity 1.025-1.026

What is your calcium?
11 ish alkalinity seems too high for the nutrients if phosphates really is 0

If you plan on changing anything do it slowly or you will shock the system, do one at a time.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello !

I added the orange setosa as a test and overnight it was completely bleached . We are 48hrs past adding and it is still bleached .

Flow - low/moderate

Is there still tissue on the coral? If not then it isn't bleached, it has RTN'd and there's no coming back from that. If there is still tissue then move it to a lower light area so it can recover.

scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello !

Flow - low/moderate

Your alkalinity is to high for that low amount of Phosphates. I would strongly recommend 8dkh for alk. Should have nhave .03 to .06 phosphates with that nitrate level. Whats your calcium and magnesium at. Did you ask what the parameters that the coral was in before introducing it to your tank. or tested the frag water yourself. How did you acclimate it and for how long. What did you use for the coral dip. also bring your salinity up to 1.25 do you use an ato.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello !

Flow - low/moderate

When you say "bleached" do you mean it's pale, or do you mean it's white? A picture would be helpful.
Get better test kits, water quality and stability are the most important thing in this hobby, it's much harder to fix problems if you can't identify them. I assume you mean your salinity is 1.024?

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It stressed out, I would also get those phosphates up..but more importantly what is your alk,cal and mag parameters at and are they stable..I find this link very helpful when I get new corals shipped or I pick them up..I don’t believe in the theory of floating bag

Alk is a little over 11 . Cal and Mag not sure have not tested in a while as I have anemones

Size of tank, age of tank, par you have it under, par it was under, alk it was in, was the frag shipped?

Size of tank 40Gallons , age just over 6 months, par don’t know , frag was picked up from fellow reefer

Do you have a picture of the coral? I have a feeling it RTN'd.

Temperature 77-78 is what I keep mine
Salinity 1.025-1.026

What is your calcium?
11 ish alkalinity seems too high for the nutrients if phosphates really is 0

If you plan on changing anything do it slowly or you will shock the system, do one at a time.

I use IO reef crystals and their alk is 11 , I also have a huge Macroalgae population and only two small clownfish and one medium sized carpet for inhabitants so nutrients are low

Is there still tissue on the coral? If not then it isn't bleached, it has RTN'd and there's no coming back from that. If there is still tissue then move it to a lower light area so it can recover.

I am going to agree and say it RTNd

Your alkalinity is to high for that low amount of Phosphates. I would strongly recommend 8dkh for alk. Should have nhave .03 to .06 phosphates with that nitrate level. Whats your calcium and magnesium at. Did you ask what the parameters that the coral was in before introducing it to your tank. or tested the frag water yourself. How did you acclimate it and for how long. What did you use for the coral dip. also bring your salinity up to 1.25 do you use an ato.

I use IO reef crystals and their alk is 11 , so will need to look into switching salts .
I did 30min bag float to temp and then 30min drip - I think the alk swing over such a short drip killed it - lesson learned

When you say "bleached" do you mean it's pale, or do you mean it's white? A picture would be helpful.
Get better test kits, water quality and stability are the most important thing in this hobby, it's much harder to fix problems if you can't identify them. I assume you mean your salinity is 1.024?

This kit has always been really good for freshwater but i agree is lacking in some saltwater tests .
Some Hanna test kits or similar will be on the list.
I would say my water quality is pretty good - I don’t have excessive algae, do weekly water changes, anemones are happy , no real deaths - but maybe just not ready for corals yet - I don’t know , back to the drawing board

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded. I had thought I had followed acclimating procedures correctly but was unaware sps required over 24hr drip to jump from NSW alk to alk around 11 (even though I read high alk and high nutrients were good for sps - its all so confusing)

phixman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to drip acclimate for 24 hours. Your system just has some issues that have to be addresses before you get sps. Are you sure IO reef crystals is 11? Mine is like 7 at 1.025

dvp95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everyone. Bleached vs necrosis is the real question. Pics

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to drip acclimate for 24 hours. Your system just has some issues that have to be addresses before you get sps. Are you sure IO reef crystals is 11? Mine is like 7 at 1.025

This is where I found that info - I don’t know what the IO actually is as I don’t have an Alk tester just a KH tester

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I understand that , but I’m doing a KH test where you count drops so there’s an element of inaccuracy there . And then converting KH to dkh by dividing by 17.9 .

I’m not sure how accurate the number I have is was all I was getting at

Alk is KH

Alkalinity = Carbonate Hardness(as we call it DKH, or Degree of carbonate hardness).

scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the salt that works best that's a bit of work is the Red Sea salt (blue bucket) you will want to buy the Red Sea CA MG and All powder for all three 60 bucks and it will last a very long time. the levels are a little low in the salt mixture so you will have to add some of the powder additives when mixing the salt. Should target for 8dkh 450ca and 1350mg. Also If you really want to have good experience with sps you have to do a lot of testing and have constant levels. I would suggest staying away from across till you get some more experience other wise you will be tossing money away and have a lot of frustration. If you get really serious about having acropora I would suggest buying the seneye reef monitor its a lower priced par meter. You will want to get a Hannah checker ULR Phosphate, check your alk frequently. and test your ca and mg every few days. Especially on that size of tank. I do recommend the Neptune trident combo as it will test daily. Sounds like your Macroalgae is sucking up to much nutrients also.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the salt that works best that's a bit of work is the Red Sea salt (blue bucket) you will want to buy the Red Sea CA MG and All powder for all three 60 bucks and it will last a very long time. the levels are a little low in the salt mixture so you will have to add some of the powder additives when mixing the salt. Should target for 8dkh 450ca and 1350mg. Also If you really want to have good experience with sps you have to do a lot of testing and have constant levels. I would suggest staying away from across till you get some more experience other wise you will be tossing money away and have a lot of frustration. If you get really serious about having acropora I would suggest buying the seneye reef monitor its a lower priced par meter. You will want to get a Hannah checker ULR Phosphate, check your alk frequently. and test your ca and mg every few days. Especially on that size of tank. I do recommend the Neptune trident combo as it will test daily. Sounds like your Macroalgae is sucking up to much nutrients also.

Thank you this was very informative.

I think I need to do some more research as i had always thought that you wanted low nutrients (hence the refugiums) and I might need to slow down my water change schedule. (15% weekly)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back