New stock list 70 gallon

hgolightly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a nice 70 gallon Red Sea tank and I’m curious on what y’all think of my current stocking list?
I have a couple fish In mind so here’s that list

2 mocha storm clowns
2 dwarf angelfish (I know it’s not recommended but I still want to try it)
1 leopard wrasse
1 blue throat flasher wrasse
1 Tomini tang or 3 chalk basslets
1 golden assessor basslet
1 midas blenny
1 green mandarin goby
3 red/purple dartfish
2 diamond goby’s
1 starry night blenny
3 Talbots damsels
2 fire shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
2 sharknose gobys
1 pearly jawfish

I’m hoping it’s not too much because the majority of these fish will be pretty small, also I have lots of swim room and sand bed.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There a lot of fish for a size tank like yours. The size of the fish being small is not a factor in the fact they will all add bioload and multiple of them live and eat the same food source. This will cause heavy aggression no matter how much rock you put in a 70 gallon. I count 23 fish for a 70 gallon. I would cut that number down to around 10 max.

Upvote 0

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many fish for your tank. 25 fish if you get 3 bassets. Starry Blenny can grow up to 5 or 6" (mine did) angels fish 4" (mine is) and Tomini Tang can reach 6".
Tangs, dwarf angels, clowns and damsel are all aggressive fish and will stress all your fish tremendously. For the sake of the fish, choose only half of fish on that long list.
You also will need a big amount of rocks to provide hiding places for all your fish. They all like to hide completely at night, and that will take out a lot out of your swimming room.
I have a 125G, and only 14 fish in it, and it looks lively enough.

Upvote 0

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a 75 gallon myself and im feeling maxed out.
1 clown
1 yellow tail damsel
1 h garnoti (yellowhead wrasse)
1 longnose hawkfish
1 coral beauty angel
1 dusky wrasse

with the 6 fish i have the tank seems pretty full, although i admit they are all pretty large fish save for the clown and damsel. 25 fish in a 70, especially with the size of some of those is way too many.
I am currently thinking of rehoming my yellowhead wrasse as it seems too large for the tank, just pacing back and forth in the tank and replacing it with a bottom dwelling fish like a pair of jawfish.
Perhaps pick a bottom dwelling fish, a perching fish or two, and then a couple fish that will take up different areas of the tank?

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a nice 70 gallon Red Sea tank and I’m curious on what y’all think of my current stocking list?
I have a couple fish In mind so here’s that list

2 mocha storm clowns
2 dwarf angelfish (I know it’s not recommended but I still want to try it)
1 leopard wrasse
1 blue throat flasher wrasse
1 Tomini tang or 3 chalk basslets
1 golden assessor basslet
1 midas blenny
1 green mandarin goby
3 red/purple dartfish
2 diamond goby’s
1 starry night blenny
3 Talbots damsels
2 fire shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
2 sharknose gobys
1 pearly jawfish

I’m hoping it’s not too much because the majority of these fish will be pretty small, also I have lots of swim room and sand bed.
I have the same tank as you! Great tank. I had a coral beauty angel in there and based on her behavior I would not add another unless the tank was a 6 footer! Youve got too many fish for that tank, l know most are smaller but having had my tank stocked I would really cut back. For reference mine is fallow for a few more days but Ill be adding maroon clown pair, dwarf lionfish, bristletooth tang and a snowflake eel. I wouldnt put two blennies together in that size either, they can be pretty territorial. In my opinion if you did one of each that still would be a lot considering the smaller fish get 3-4 inches as adults. Before my tank got velvet I had a coral beauty, baby mimic tang, two clowns, a midas blenny and two banggani cardinal fish. That was about all that could go considering adult sizes and comfort of the fish. When you see an adult of the fish you want thats an eye opener and then looking at the baby one in your tank makes most think twice about overstocking! Just my opinion

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back