New Tank Cost

Ascartes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone; I'm sure this has been asked and gone over a few hundred times but here I am anyways as I haven't quite had all my questions answered.

I was looking at something 'around' the 175G mark for the display tank.

The red sea 650max, or 900 3XL are kind of what I've been pointed to.

Basic questions, are Red Sea 'worth' the money they ask? (I know that's subjective but yes I am willing to do it myself as far as sump/plumbing but not entirely sure it actually saves much in this case)

I'm not comfortable buying glass and making the entire aquarium myself so I have not even looked at doing that, but I do know how to drill tanks if it made sense to do so.

Are there competitors in that size range that offer what red sea does? (waterbox/planet?) (stand ect)

This might sound like something I can search up myself, but few reviews and descriptions don't account for people's experience with them.

Anything is appreciated.

Last edited:

kloverguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Glasscages. Depending on what you want, the price point may be close to RedSea, but Glasscages will fully customize the tank, stand, and some other options to your liking. I don't have personal experience with them but I've seen lots of very positive feedback around.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
171g is about 175g

I've been impressed with the quality of the acrylic stuff I've gotten from them, so much so that I've got a tank on the way in the next few weeks.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone; I'm sure this has been asked and gone over a few hundred times but here I am anyways as I haven't quite had all my questions answered.

I was looking at something 'around' the 175G mark for the display tank.

The red sea 650max, or 900 3XL are kind of what I've been pointed to.

Basic questions, are Red Sea 'worth' the money they ask? (I know that's subjective but yes I am willing to do it myself as far as sump/plumbing but not entirely sure it actually saves much in this case)

I'm not comfortable buying glass and making the entire aquarium myself so I have not even looked at doing that, but I do know how to drill tanks if it made sense to do so.

Are there competitors in that size range that offer what red sea does? (waterbox/planet?) (stand ect)

This might sound like something I can search up myself, but few reviews and descriptions don't account for people's experience with them.

Anything is appreciated.
honest question, is money a concern or are you shooting for premium equipment?

OP
OP
Ascartes

Ascartes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im expecting 7 or 8k for everything (not including fish/coral). I'm not a fan of the entire Apex system so I won't need that part of it.
depending how you go with lighting it will certainly be up there if not a little more.
for context, i run a 120g and my equipment costs, not including my apex, were around 6k before livestock. I went with a run of the mill tank and sump but spared no expense anywhere else.
should be a sweet setup once she's all in place!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a 90g reef tank for under $1000

OP
OP
Ascartes

Ascartes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending how you go with lighting it will certainly be up there if not a little more.
for context, i run a 120g and my equipment costs, not including my apex, were around 6k before livestock. I went with a run of the mill tank and sump but spared no expense anywhere else.
should be a sweet setup once she's all in place!
I expect about 2k for lighting (2-3 of the philips lights or the AIs probably). Most of the tanks I've seen are around 3800 for tank/stand (some with sump, somewithout but thats 500$ different) Those with sumps usually have an ATO built in as well. I was looking at the Red sea max as they are complete systems for 6000ish (tank/sump/skimmer/lights) but unsure of the individual quality of the items and its difficult to judge anything based on the current online reviews of it. I don't mind doing things and piecing it together, but I do get sometimes buying a kit may be cheaper. Its not that cost is a concern so to speak, I'm just not going to spend more than I have to.

OP
OP
Ascartes

Ascartes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course not. As soon as you attach a brand the price goes up at least double.
Looking on glasscages to make the same dimensions as a red sea its only a few hundred (if that) different. I don't particularly need customization as the back face is going against a wall, so a black back panel is really it.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course not. As soon as you attach a brand the price goes up at least double.
that is kind of the basis of the discussion. without question there are ways to make cuts throughout a system build, some more impactful than others.
OP mentioned their interest in building a system using a red sea, waterbox or any other premium offering really so i'm trying to stay within those lines.

OP
OP
Ascartes

Ascartes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is kind of the basis of the discussion. without question there are ways to make cuts throughout a system build, some more impactful than others.
OP mentioned their interest in building a system using a red sea, waterbox or any other premium offering really so i'm trying to stay within those lines.
I listed those just because they are the most prevalent in the ol googler' I'm fine with something lesser known if the quality is still there. I just can't do it myself unfortunately. Reefsavvy however, is way out of my range despite how nice they look. I don't like the plywood/cement tanks otherwise that would be incredibly easy to do; just not my thing.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect about 2k for lighting (2-3 of the philips lights or the AIs probably). Most of the tanks I've seen are around 3800 for tank/stand (some with sump, somewithout but thats 500$ different) Those with sumps usually have an ATO built in as well. I was looking at the Red sea max as they are complete systems for 6000ish (tank/sump/skimmer/lights) but unsure of the individual quality of the items and its difficult to judge anything based on the current online reviews of it. I don't mind doing things and piecing it together, but I do get sometimes buying a kit may be cheaper. Its not that cost is a concern so to speak, I'm just not going to spend more than I have to.
a lot of how you choose your lighting depends on what you hope to keep once its set up. 2 radion g5's and an RMS mount wasn't cheap! i went the same route as you in that i bought the things that reviewed well and never spent on what was unproven for example: a tunze ato over a $35 disaster waiting to happen.
i figured why skimp on equipment that keeps the occupants living and the floors from being flooded.

OP
OP
Ascartes

Ascartes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of how you choose your lighting depends on what you hope to keep once its set up. 2 radion g5's and an RMS mount wasn't cheap! i went the same route as you in that i bought the things that reviewed well and never spent on what was unproven for example: a tunze ato over a $35 disaster waiting to happen.
i figured why skimp on equipment that keeps the occupants living and the floors from being flooded.
I feel that. I've been watching the BRS channel for like 5 years now so just going off that and the 6 LFS around me (Houston is loaded) as to what works well. I don't have any aspiration of the super hard corals (physically). I do however have a metric ton of free time around the tank and find doing things (maintenance, what-have-you) to be entertaining. If the market wasn't super saturated already on that type of service, I think it would be fun. Testing isn't 'fun' to speak, but seeing the results of the changes I make is cool enough

OP
OP
Ascartes

Ascartes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I love RedSea. I have had two tanks from them , and never had one problem.
Would you say they were worth the money or have you seen anything that has made you think "man I wish I spent the extra 300$ for xxxxx?" I started with a 40B with AIO and man I thought it was cool for the first few months, but now 2 years later I wish it would have been a sump build for all the space it takes. I scaped a wonderful wall to hide the box, but the space lost is gone forever. Huge thing I wish I had spent the money on and gotten the sump but was always told 'you don't need it on a 40'. Lessons learned I guess.

Edit: Love your build thread

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of Red Sea except their new S model. The old model feels dated. Huge overflow, cheap ball valve, no steel or aluminum stand. Meh. I had one and sold it. Those aquariums have been out a long time and it shows.

I would look into innovative marine and prostar aquariums or the new Red Sea S.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back