New tank cycle using old tanks media?

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I have a 10 gallon tank reef tank that has been running for almost 5 months now. I have decided to convert my old 40 gallon to an even larger reef tank. I put some extra media in my 10 gallon's filter, can I transfer that media over to my 40 gallon and add my current fish right away? would anything really happen? I added about roughly the media for a 40 gallon tank in my 10 gallon right now, if I just put it in my 40 gallons filter, nothing would happen and I could add my 2 fish right away right? (orchid dotty and clown, both of which I've had for months). thanks!

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I have a 10 gallon tank reef tank that has been running for almost 5 months now. I have decided to convert my old 40 gallon to an even larger reef tank. I put some extra media in my 10 gallon's filter, can I transfer that media over to my 40 gallon and add my current fish right away? would anything really happen? I added about roughly the media for a 40 gallon tank in my 10 gallon right now, if I just put it in my 40 gallons filter, nothing would happen and I could add my 2 fish right away right? (orchid dotty and clown, both of which I've had for months). thanks!
I made a thread on this going from me 13.5 evo to 40breeder added a nasty bag of carbon from old tank to new and I couldn’t tell much of a difference if it helped any or sped up the process. But I did add a bottle of bacteria for safety measures. If I where you I’d still add a bottle of like fritz or microbacter start xlm

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using your existing rocks would be best. That is where most of the beneficial bacteria are. Just media will not be sufficient on its own most likely.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a thread on this going from me 13.5 evo to 40breeder added a nasty bag of carbon from old tank to new and I couldn’t tell much of a difference if it helped any or sped up the process. But I did add a bottle of bacteria for safety measures. If I where you I’d still add a bottle of like fritz or microbacter start xlm
yea if I do switch, im bringing in the old sand with new live sand, the old rocks, and all of the old media with new filter media running as well with a bacteria starter i used a few months ago for the 10 gallon i have now.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using your existing rocks would be best. That is where most of the beneficial bacteria are. Just media will not be sufficient on its own most likely.
yea as i said above ill use the old rocks, some new rocks, MAYBE some live rock rlly don't know yet if i trust lfs's that much, my old tanks sand with new live sand, my old media along with new media, and a bacteria starter.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea if I do switch, im bringing in the old sand with new live sand, the old rocks, and all of the old media with new filter media running as well with a bacteria starter i used a few months ago for the 10 gallon i have now.
You should be fine with doing all of that however I wouldn’t immediately add anything after doing so Add your sand add your rock and add your bacteria’s. Let things settle for about 3-5 days test see where you’re at then go from there. Just my 2¢

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine with doing all of that however I wouldn’t immediately add anything after doing so Add your sand add your rock and add your bacteria’s. Let things settle for about 3-5 days test see where you’re at then go from there. Just my 2¢
ok so, should i just get all my sand and my rocks, set it up, and let it run for about a week or so while ghost feeding, and test for ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites? ill keep my clown and dotty in their 10 gallon with a small mini filter for that week period. ill just add all of the dry rock and live sand and majority of the filter media in the 40. just to be clear, there should be no problems with adding roughly 40 pounds of dry rock right without really curing it? just asking because last time I didn't cure and rlly all that happened was cyano, and I got and am planning on getting more turbo snails for that problem.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so, should i just get all my sand and my rocks, set it up, and let it run for about a week or so while ghost feeding, and test for ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites? ill keep my clown and dotty in their 10 gallon with a small mini filter for that week period. ill just add all of the dry rock and live sand and majority of the filter media in the 40. just to be clear, there should be no problems with adding roughly 40 pounds of dry rock right without really curing it? just asking because last time I didn't cure and rlly all that happened was cyano, and I got and am planning on getting more turbo snails for that problem
Personally what I would do in your case would get any rock and sand you want out and into the new tank while doing that get your fish out into a holding container with current water out of old tank for short period of time Add any new sand and rock you need / want into new tank fill with new saltwater add your bottle of bacteria preferably fritz zyme turbo start 900 I’ve had great use with it. I wouldn’t use any type of filtration media ex carbon bio balls any kind of media. You can use like filter floss for new tank wait about 3-5 days then test see where you are. If all is well add your fish. While your waiting keep your current fish in 10g with water and old media. . As far as adding 40lbs of rock you should be okay just don’t blast any lighting for several hours a day minimize any feeding for some weeks you’ll get a bacteria bloom after you add fish and then diatoms keep up with water changes and you’ll be good

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally what I would do in your case would get any rock and sand you want out and into the new tank while doing that get your fish out into a holding container with current water out of old tank for short period of time Add any new sand and rock you need / want into new tank fill with new saltwater add your bottle of bacteria preferably fritz zyme turbo start 900 I’ve had great use with it. I wouldn’t use any type of filtration media ex carbon bio balls any kind of media. You can use like filter floss for new tank wait about 3-5 days then test see where you are. If all is well add your fish. While your waiting keep your current fish in 10g with water and old media.
why would you say to not keep any media in the new tank? also I'm just curious, I asked some others about this and they said that if I used BRS' reef saver rock from marcos rocks, then I would be fine adding everything at once.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why would you say to not keep any media in the new tank? also I'm just curious, I asked some others about this and they said that if I used BRS' reef saver rock from marcos rocks, then I would be fine adding everything at once.
Adding carbon bio balls anything like that is just going to take away the good bacteria that’s trying to establish in your new rock and cause a continues cycle

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New sand, old rocks will support the fish you have currently. Put new sand and rocks in, fill the tank. Soon as it clears up swap over the fish and the old rock.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New sand, old rocks will support the fish you have currently. Put new sand and rocks in, fill the tank. Soon as it clears up swap over the fish and the old rock.
Okay, thank you sm! after I set up Ill just wait a week or so, also, I have a mushroom and a zoa rn, should I add those when I add the fish?

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, I have a mushroom and a zoa rn, should I add those when I add the fish?
Absolutely. I think you’ll be good and clear as long you test for your main parameters nitrite nitrates ammonia PH Shrooms and zoas can be quiet easy to deal with for the most part but don’t be shocked if they look a bit stressed for a couple days. Every coral is different moving from tank to tank. Good luck !

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I think you’ll be good and clear as long you test for your main parameters nitrite nitrates ammonia PH Shrooms and zoas can be quiet easy to deal with for the most part but don’t be shocked if they look a bit stressed for a couple days. Every coral is different moving from tank to tank. Good luck !
thank you so much!

KTrevino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are moving over existing rocks from a cycled tank then you can move the fish in when you do that. The bacteria are present on the rock and will be effective in the new tank, no need to wait on putting in the fish.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are moving over existing rocks from a cycled tank then you can move the fish in when you do that. The bacteria are present on the rock and will be effective in the new tank, no need to wait on putting in the fish.
Yea but like it’s a rlly small amount of rock, only about like 2 and a half pounds, and I’m bringing in another 40 pounds. I don’t think it will be enough

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back