New Tank first time ever

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If just one of those heaters is strong enough to keep your tank at temp, I'd downsize them a bit, especially if they are cheap ones. Ideally when running two heaters you want them strong enough to maintain temp, but not cook your tank when they inevitably fail.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a quality heater. Eheim Jager is my preference.

Bio-Spira works well and is cheaper than the alternatives for cycling.

No lights necessary for cycling.

RODI can be stored long term.
I saw this water heater is that the one you were talking about? Also it mentions that 300W will heat up to 159-265 gallons of water, really? Also if I can place it in my sump I might as well get this.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If just one of those heaters is strong enough to keep your tank at temp, I'd downsize them a bit, especially if they are cheap ones. Ideally when running two heaters you want them strong enough to maintain temp, but not cook your tank when they inevitably fail.
Sorry I don't understand

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

You will also need a couple powerheads in the display if you plan on keeping coral. Not sure if that's already on your shopping list or not.
Hey thanks for the post, no I haven't thought about powerbeads yet, any suggestions? I do plan on keeping coral.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One 300W heater = 2x 150W heaters.

If the 300W heater fails and gets stuck on, then it will cook your tank if you dont intervene. If one of the 150W heaters is stuck on, it is not strong enough to overheat your tank so you are safe.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are on a tight budget, I'd go with Jebao powerheads.

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are on a tight budget, I'd go with Jebao powerheads.
Honestly, I'd recommend just saving up for the VorTechs. Grab some MP60s over a period of time. Heck, maybe even get lucky and find somebody selling some used ones. Especially on a tank that big, might as well save up for the good stuff (where it counts), instead of spending cheap(er) now only to be unsatisfied and have to spend the more in the future. That's just my opinion.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One 300W heater = 2x 150W heaters.

If the 300W heater fails and gets stuck on, then it will cook your tank if you dont intervene. If one of the 150W heaters is stuck on, it is not strong enough to overheat your tank so you are safe.
Ok that's make sense, thank you. So do you recommend getting two 150W heaters?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the OP had to save up just for the tank and probably didn't realize how expensive it would be just to get the thing running, much less maintain it, I'm not sure the most expensive powerheads on the market is the route to take. A compromise would be some Tunze's perhaps.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, just buy the cheap inkbird temperature controller for the inevitable heater failure

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow your heater manufacturers guidance on exact wattage needed for your tank. That was just an example to show how to run 2 heaters.

When deciding on heater size, also factor in ambient temp in the room ie. basement are colder than upstairs rooms, presence of windows, type of lighting etc...

I'd generally shoot for about a bit more than half the recommended wattage if running 2 heaters.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow your heater manufacturers guidance on exact wattage needed for your tank. That was just an example to show how to run 2 heaters.

When deciding on heater size, also factor in ambient temp in the room ie. basement are colder than upstairs rooms, presence of windows, type of lighting etc...

I'd generally shoot for about a bit more than half the recommended wattage if running 2 heaters.
I just use the largest wattage that fits into the compartment because my temp controller will stop em from going over temp.
If not doing a controller I would do what you said though.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The protein skimmer you have (i think) is the red sea reefer internal skimmer. All it does is mix air and water together and push the "skimmate"(gross dirty bubbles, organics and waste) out into the skimmer cup. The water itself circulates inside the skimmer and then out into the sump again. Best to just search up Bulkreefsupply videos if you want to see it in action, their videos are great guides for beginners as well

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'd recommend just saving up for the VorTechs. Grab some MP60s over a period of time. Heck, maybe even get lucky and find somebody selling some used ones. Especially on a tank that big, might as well save up for the good stuff (where it counts), instead of spending cheap(er) now only to be unsatisfied and have to spend the more in the future. That's just my opinion.
ill have to check on the powerbeads, not sure what they run for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The protein skimmer you have (i think) is the red sea reefer internal skimmer. All it does is mix air and water together and push the "skimmate"(gross dirty bubbles, organics and waste) out into the skimmer cup. The water itself circulates inside the skimmer and then out into the sump again. Best to just search up Bulkreefsupply videos if you want to see it in action, their videos are great guides for beginners as well
I ended up getting another brand from BRS, It had good reviews and was on sale, I was just afraid if I placed it right or not, its in the second chamber from when the water overflows from the tank. Maybe it'll be easier to see when I post the pic.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use the largest wattage that fits into the compartment because my temp controller will stop em from going over temp.
If not doing a controller I would do what you said though.
Sounds good, I ordered one heater to help get the tank cycling, I'll have to see if the tank manual has specifications and also look at the heater ones.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the OP had to save up just for the tank and probably didn't realize how expensive it would be just to get the thing running, much less maintain it, I'm not sure the most expensive powerheads on the market is the route to take. A compromise would be some Tunze's perhaps.
I haven't even looked at powerheads yet, I was hoping that the flow from the pumps or something might do the trick, but I guess I'll have to look into it if I want corals.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't even looked at powerheads yet, I was hoping that the flow from the pumps or something might do the trick, but I guess I'll have to look into it if I want corals.
I did purchase a Eheim heater though as you recommended so we'll see when it arrives.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back