new tank questions! 35g deep blue

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Im finally feeling the need for a new tank and I've decided on a deep blue reef ready 35g 20x20 cube. So far my tanks have all been small (12x12 cubes or a 15g aqueon fowlr). As such i never did sumps, just hang on filters filled with chemipure and purigen + live rock.

As such, i have a lot of questions and im looking for advice/recommendations!

what i know i am going with/have

heater will be two 100w eheim jagers. ive always used these heaters and trust them. two for redundancy.

i usually get live rock but i may try brs reef saver this time just for fun. i use caribsea oceandirect live sand usually as i like the look.

ato will be a tunze 3152 nano osmolator. ato container will probably be a 10g tank with a custom top i will cut from acrylic for a good, tight fit

circulation i will use an ecotech mp10.

for filtration media type things, macro in the fuge, live rock, chemipure elite, and purigen.

I do want to hard plump although never having used a sump i am going to need recommendations on this and watch some videos on proper set up.

i am probably going to be building the stand out of pine 2x4's with plywood "tabletops" for the tank and sump to sit on.

sump

This will be my first time with a sump so i am looking for suggestions on what brand! i see some expensive ones like trigger systems are popular as well as this eshopps one

im not sure what to be looking for in a sump tbh all i know is i want space for a fuge for chaeto or some other kind of macro, space for a skimmer (speaking of which i need a recommendation for this too... theres so many), and a space for live rock (and ofc the heater and my ato sensor which barely takes space) . my only criteria is that it fit under my stand which will also be 20x20 like the tank, so the insides are probably going to be a bit smaller? i was thinking a 10g tank size sump but i wasnt sure if there were any prebuilts that would be good for what i want.

In talking of the sump, i see so many options for return pumps that im not sure what to do. im leaning towards and eheim because people like them and i always use eheim stuff. if it was a bigger tank id probably go for one of the ecotech vectras as i love their stuff and am going to use an mp10 in the tank.

lighting

so ive only used kessils a80's before. i tried an orbit marine pro but i wasnt a fan.

for this tank i was considering between a kessil a360, picking up a used radion, a prime hd (i am going for a mixed reef so i dont think this will be strong enough?), a hydra 26, an sb reeflight, or whatever else is recommended!

i would prefer to keep it to one light fixture though.

i think this covers everything i had questions with so far. please enlighten me with your knowledge

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Im finally feeling the need for a new tank and I've decided on a deep blue reef ready 35g 20x20 cube. So far my tanks have all been small (12x12 cubes or a 15g aqueon fowlr). As such i never did sumps, just hang on filters filled with chemipure and purigen + live rock.

As such, i have a lot of questions and im looking for advice/recommendations!

what i know i am going with/have

heater will be two 100w eheim jagers. ive always used these heaters and trust them. two for redundancy.

i usually get live rock but i may try brs reef saver this time just for fun. i use caribsea oceandirect live sand usually as i like the look.

ato will be a tunze 3152 nano osmolator. ato container will probably be a 10g tank with a custom top i will cut from acrylic for a good, tight fit

circulation i will use an ecotech mp10.

for filtration media type things, macro in the fuge, live rock, chemipure elite, and purigen.

I do want to hard plump although never having used a sump i am going to need recommendations on this and watch some videos on proper set up.

i am probably going to be building the stand out of pine 2x4's with plywood "tabletops" for the tank and sump to sit on.

sump

This will be my first time with a sump so i am looking for suggestions on what brand! i see some expensive ones like trigger systems are popular as well as this eshopps one

im not sure what to be looking for in a sump tbh all i know is i want space for a fuge for chaeto or some other kind of macro, space for a skimmer (speaking of which i need a recommendation for this too... theres so many), and a space for live rock (and ofc the heater and my ato sensor which barely takes space) . my only criteria is that it fit under my stand which will also be 20x20 like the tank, so the insides are probably going to be a bit smaller? i was thinking a 10g tank size sump but i wasnt sure if there were any prebuilts that would be good for what i want.

In talking of the sump, i see so many options for return pumps that im not sure what to do. im leaning towards and eheim because people like them and i always use eheim stuff. if it was a bigger tank id probably go for one of the ecotech vectras as i love their stuff and am going to use an mp10 in the tank.

lighting

so ive only used kessils a80's before. i tried an orbit marine pro but i wasnt a fan.

for this tank i was considering between a kessil a360, picking up a used radion, a prime hd (i am going for a mixed reef so i dont think this will be strong enough?), a hydra 26, an sb reeflight, or whatever else is recommended!

i would prefer to keep it to one light fixture though.

i think this covers everything i had questions with so far. please enlighten me with your knowledge
I would do the Kessil A360 for lighting with the spectral controller. And for the sump I really do like the Trigger sumps especially if you want to utilize a refugium. I recently setup a trigger crystal 30, and I really like it :)

OP
OP
X

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the Kessil A360 for lighting with the spectral controller. And for the sump I really do like the Trigger sumps especially if you want to utilize a refugium. I recently setup a trigger crystal 30, and I really like it :)

thanks for the input! im now looking at the trigger crystal 18 as the dimensions seem good for the stand i plan to make. i was also leaning towards the kessil as i like the shimmer and radions are kinda pricey

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the input! im now looking at the trigger crystal 18 as the dimensions seem good for the stand i plan to make. i was also leaning towards the kessil as i like the shimmer and radions are kinda pricey
The shimmer, and to me the ease of use. I'm not one for having a bunch of slider bars and figuring out the correct spectrum, with kessil you choose what looks good and you're set to go :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back