new tank questions! 35g deep blue

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by xxoczukxx, Apr 6, 2018.

1. xxoczukxx

xxoczukxx Active Member

Hello everyone. Im finally feeling the need for a new tank and I've decided on a deep blue reef ready 35g 20x20 cube. So far my tanks have all been small (12x12 cubes or a 15g aqueon fowlr). As such i never did sumps, just hang on filters filled with chemipure and purigen + live rock.

As such, i have a lot of questions and im looking for advice/recommendations!

what i know i am going with/have

heater will be two 100w eheim jagers. ive always used these heaters and trust them. two for redundancy.

i usually get live rock but i may try brs reef saver this time just for fun. i use caribsea oceandirect live sand usually as i like the look.

ato will be a tunze 3152 nano osmolator. ato container will probably be a 10g tank with a custom top i will cut from acrylic for a good, tight fit

circulation i will use an ecotech mp10.

for filtration media type things, macro in the fuge, live rock, chemipure elite, and purigen.

I do want to hard plump although never having used a sump i am going to need recommendations on this and watch some videos on proper set up.

i am probably going to be building the stand out of pine 2x4's with plywood "tabletops" for the tank and sump to sit on.

sump

This will be my first time with a sump so i am looking for suggestions on what brand! i see some expensive ones like trigger systems are popular as well as this eshopps one

im not sure what to be looking for in a sump tbh all i know is i want space for a fuge for chaeto or some other kind of macro, space for a skimmer (speaking of which i need a recommendation for this too... theres so many), and a space for live rock (and ofc the heater and my ato sensor which barely takes space) . my only criteria is that it fit under my stand which will also be 20x20 like the tank, so the insides are probably going to be a bit smaller? i was thinking a 10g tank size sump but i wasnt sure if there were any prebuilts that would be good for what i want.

In talking of the sump, i see so many options for return pumps that im not sure what to do. im leaning towards and eheim because people like them and i always use eheim stuff. if it was a bigger tank id probably go for one of the ecotech vectras as i love their stuff and am going to use an mp10 in the tank.

lighting

so ive only used kessils a80's before. i tried an orbit marine pro but i wasnt a fan.

for this tank i was considering between a kessil a360, picking up a used radion, a prime hd (i am going for a mixed reef so i dont think this will be strong enough?), a hydra 26, an sb reeflight, or whatever else is recommended!

i would prefer to keep it to one light fixture though.

i think this covers everything i had questions with so far. please enlighten me with your knowledge

Crabs McJones likes this.

2. Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Glitter Fairy Hospitality Award

I would do the Kessil A360 for lighting with the spectral controller. And for the sump I really do like the Trigger sumps especially if you want to utilize a refugium. I recently setup a trigger crystal 30, and I really like it :)

xxoczukxx likes this.
  3. xxoczukxx

xxoczukxx Active Member

thanks for the input! im now looking at the trigger crystal 18 as the dimensions seem good for the stand i plan to make. i was also leaning towards the kessil as i like the shimmer and radions are kinda pricey

Crabs McJones likes this.
  4. Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Glitter Fairy Hospitality Award

The shimmer, and to me the ease of use. I'm not one for having a bunch of slider bars and figuring out the correct spectrum, with kessil you choose what looks good and you're set to go :)

Draft saved Draft deleted