New tank stocking, will a snowflake eel get along?

Is the lid ok for an eel?

• Sure!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way!

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Seahorse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now i have 2 yellowtail damsels and a small yellow tang in a 55 long. (I know tangs need a bigger tank, im working on buying a 120) Do you think the eel would eat these fish? I have a few small hermits and a few margarita snails, but these i can relocate. Also, is the lid in the picture tight fitting enough for an eel? Thank you!
15337613541317535790147515885036.jpg
15337614775867885898498004007786.jpg

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it fits in its mouth its going to eat it if you neglect feeding it and it gets hungry. You need to make sure there are NO holes in the top, they are escape artists. The holes on the top right now are way to big and one could easily get out.

OP
OP
Seahorse man

Seahorse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it fits in its mouth its going to eat it if you neglect feeding it and it gets hungry. You need to make sure there are NO holes in the top, they are escape artists. The holes on the top right now are way to big and one could easily get out.
How could i fill in those holes? Do i have to cut new acrylic pieces?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to have an open top tank, if it needs to be covered I put a screen over it. Glass or Acrylic to me can effect the temp and how much oxygen is getting into the water. I would do a screen top if I were you, going to be hard to cut the acrylic to get an exact fit, I also wouldnt do an egg crate as I have heard stories of snowflakes getting through them.

OP
OP
Seahorse man

Seahorse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to have an open top tank, if it needs to be covered I put a screen over it. Glass or Acrylic to me can effect the temp and how much oxygen is getting into the water. I would do a screen top if I were you, going to be hard to cut the acrylic to get an exact fit, I also wouldnt do an egg crate as I have heard stories of snowflakes getting through them.
The only problem with a screen top is that i run a syphon overflow and would have to cut the rim off the screen, and i dont think it would be very sturdy like that.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll just echo what everybody else says about a tight top. I tried to QT an eel in the tank in the following picture, it had a full hood and I taped it down and taped around the filter and over every hole and the snowflake eel still ended up behind this tank dried out. I still can't tell you where it got out, no tape was pulled up and I couldn't see any dried water trail or anything from the feeding hatch.

IMG_4419 (1).JPG

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why try to put a round peg in a square hole? Just wait until you are able to get the proper setup then get the eel. Like others have said, it will definitely get out of your current setup, and would most likely eat a small yellow tang. Save yourself some aggravation, heartache, and money, and have the patience to provide the correct setup (and tank mates), and you'll be rewarded with a healthy happy aquatic friend.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For when you do get the 120 gallon tank, I would recommend lots of live rock. They will use up to three different caves within the tank.

We let ours stay in a tank where the top was off and left open for years because it was well fed and the parameters were well-controlled.
But most importantly, it was literally covered in live rock to the point where it was kind of ridiculous.
The eel never felt threatened and it would always go down instead of up.

If they feel threatened in your tidepool they will attempt to search out a different tide pool.
They don't realize that could be in someone else's home half a mile away.

Based on what everyone else has said I can't recommend just leaving the top open the way I always did.
however, a tank that's mostly live rock may not be what you're looking for.
[emoji6]

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going to house a snowflake eel in my 40 nuvo. He is breaking things down for a move. How often should I feed it so it doesn't eat my few fish? I was planning on just feeding him raw shrimp. He is used to eating gold fish but I don't want those in my tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back