New tank when can I add sps

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you measured po4? During the process, often I have it leech back out of dried rock and that can cause you some SPS headaches if not removed./
Yeah i did, i actually dosed KN03 from about the 2 month mark and over fed the tank just so i can get a reading of both. Never had algae issues for the first year until i introduced bryopsis into the tank. Fluco killed that though easily. I did water changes and ran GFO for a little bit when i was cycling rock so there was nothing left to leach out.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank from day one with dry Tonga branch took 18 months before my sps started to do well. Before that they would last for about a month or 2 and suddenly die. I feel like there are just alot more components to cycling happening in the background that we dont know about. One thing that did help me speed up another tank however was to add about 30 pounds of live rock rubble to my sump. Never had problems with that tank

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Best thing to do is use rock or media from an already established tank.
If you start with dry rock you’ll want to wait until the algae phase goes away.

OP
OP
Nht

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great info guys. I’m relearning a lot as I read your replies. I tested phosphate and it was 0 ppm and nitrates were at 25ppm. I haven’t hit the ugly stage yet with algae growth as the lights have been off for the last 5 weeks. I do have a couple of questions though.

1) should I do a water change now to get the nitrates down or should I get my refugium online to get it down naturally?

2) I know I started the thread with Sps which I’m willing to wait. However can I add LPS or zoas right now?

3) should I fire up the skimmer?

4) should I fire up the lights?(2 Radion xr30 g4)

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights and skimmer should be fine but I'd still hold off for your ugly algea phase to end for coral, zoanthids can get irritated by the algea in my experience and stay closed.

Dono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people have touched on it here but it boils down to stability of parameters.

Can you put in SPS after your cycle? Yes.

Will you work your butt off to keep them alive? Yes.

It just gets way easier after that 10-14 month mark.

ChrisRD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until you're getting good coralline growth (not specks... more like the annoyingly good growth...i.e. need to start cleaning pumps / scraping glass).

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 29.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back