New to hospital tanks (not new to reefing)

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, sorry for the long read.
I got ick in my tank on my royal gramma. I am new to hospital tanks. I set one up 2 days ago and last night I caught my royal gramma. He survived the night in the hospital tank and so I caught the rest of my fish to put into the hospital tank with him. (I didnt want to put all of my fish in at once in case it went horribly wrong). I know the tanks are way small. I am doing the transfer tank method and they will go into a slightly bigger tank on the next transfer. In the tank I have a bubbler and heater. I removed the filtration pad because I didnt have enough to continuously replace them to keep the tank sterile. I also didnt have any PVC pipe so I put a clean coffee mug in the tank.
Tank #1 3.5 gallon AIO
In the tank are 2 clowns, bengali cardinal, royal gramma and black ray govy. They are all under an inch in length.
Tank #2 is a 5 gallon.

I noticed my clowns have been breathing faster and that the water is cloudy. I did put a little bit of bottled bacteria in to help keep ammonia down when I set up the tank. There is no substrate or anything else in it other than the mug. I did change out half a gallon of water a little while ago to try to add more oxygen to the tank and to reduce the cloudiness.
My goal was to go fallow for 72 days to eliminate the ich in my tank. I wanted yo get a 10 gallon for after the TTM is complete but it snowed yesterday and the freeway is closed.
Should I take the fish out and just put them back into the display and only treat the royal gramma since it's the only one showing symptoms and them fallow the tank when I can get a 10 gallon (I'm in an apartment and dont have a ton of extra space) or is how I have this set up okay and I can ride it out and then my first tank change will be on Tuesday. What should I do?

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got ick in my tank on my royal gramma. I am new to hospital tanks. I set one up 2 days ago and last night I caught my royal gramma. He survived the night in the hospital tank and so I caught the rest of my fish to put into the hospital tank with him. (I didnt want to put all of my fish in at once in case it went horribly wrong). I know the tanks are way small. I am doing the transfer tank method and they will go into a slightly bigger tank on the next transfer. In the tank I have a bubbler and heater. I removed the filtration pad because I didnt have enough to continuously replace them to keep the tank sterile. I also didnt have any PVC pipe so I put a clean coffee mug in the tank.
Tank #1 3.5 gallon AIO
In the tank are 2 clowns, bengali cardinal, royal gramma and black ray govy. They are all under an inch in length.
Tank #2 is a 5 gallon.

I noticed my clowns have been breathing faster and that the water is cloudy. I did put a little bit of bottled bacteria in to help keep ammonia down when I set up the tank. There is no substrate or anything else in it other than the mug. I did change out half a gallon of water a little while ago to try to add more oxygen to the tank and to reduce the cloudiness.
My goal was to go fallow for 72 days to eliminate the ich in my tank. I wanted yo get a 10 gallon for after the TTM is complete but it snowed yesterday and the freeway is closed.
Should I take the fish out and just put them back into the display and only treat the royal gramma since it's the only one showing symptoms and them fallow the tank when I can get a 10 gallon (I'm in an apartment and dont have a ton of extra space) or is how I have this set up okay and I can ride it out and then my first tank change will be on Tuesday. What should I do?

I think you have this under control. The tanks are too small for all this fish and you may see some aggression, especially since the tank is so sterile with only a coffee mug. I use fake coral and plant decorations in my QTs to give more hiding spaces and to change the fish's line of sight in case aggression starts.

Getting a couple 10g tanks would be helpful.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank #1 3.5 gallon AIO
Tank #2 is a 5 gallon.

This may help! Also agreed with the first reply as well getting some decorations or PVC pieces can help lower aggression!

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have this under control. The tanks are too small for all this fish and you may see some aggression, especially since the tank is so sterile with only a coffee mug. I use fake coral and plant decorations in my QTs to give more hiding spaces and to change the fish's line of sight in case aggression starts.

Getting a couple 10g tanks would be helpful.
Fish stopped breathing heavily after I increased the oxygen into the tank. Luckily all of my fish still get along and my gramma only came out after I added the other fish back in. Glad to know I'm on the right track. I'll try to get to Petco this weekend. It's the closest lfs is am hour away and I wont have time to get out there there with school.

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may help! Also agreed with the first reply as well getting some decorations or PVC pieces can help lower aggression!

Sweet thanks for the reference. I wasn't able to find any PVC today but tomorrow I'll head to my hardware store. I should have gone there in the first place.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back