New to R2R, second tank underway!

ErinAus2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, newbie from Melbourne, Australia here. After a lifetime of dreaming, I started my first 130 litre All in one marine tank back in February. Just got my hands on my dream tank. 250 litres with small sump. I’ve been getting so much information from R2R for the past year, and have finally joined. Looking forward to being part of the community!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R! Let us know what questions you have along the way, that’s what R2R is here for!

OP
OP
ErinAus2020

ErinAus2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R! Let us know what questions you have along the way, that’s what R2R is here for!

Thanks! I’m actually looking for people with experience with 3D foam backgrounds, but having trouble deciding which forum is most appropriate. Would it be aquascaping?

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m actually looking for people with experience with 3D foam backgrounds, but having trouble deciding which forum is most appropriate. Would it be aquascaping?

Welcome to R2R, lots of folks with good experience.

I've done the foam thing. I loved it and hated it all at the same time.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, newbie from Melbourne, Australia here. After a lifetime of dreaming, I started my first 130 litre All in one marine tank back in February. Just got my hands on my dream tank. 250 litres with small sump. I’ve been getting so much information from R2R for the past year, and have finally joined. Looking forward to being part of the community!
Welcome erinaus2020.
Thanks for joining, sounds like you'll have good experiences to share.
How's the winter going?
Do you have good access to gbr corals?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
ErinAus2020

ErinAus2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, lots of folks with good experience.

I've done the foam thing. I loved it and hated it all at the same time.

Awesome! So this new tank came with one already built in. Its very well done, and the silicone looks good. I love the way it looks, and plan to grow corals on it. But my LFS scared me off a bit, as he feels they don’t hold up in saltwater, and they trap detritus.
I would love to hear your experience, the good, the bad, and the ugly!

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! So this new tank came with one already built in. Its very well done, and the silicone looks good. I love the way it looks, and plan to grow corals on it. But my LFS scared me off a bit, as he feels they don’t hold up in saltwater, and they trap detritus.
I would love to hear your experience, the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Mine was a DIY version. Used expanding foam, base rock, and some sand. I used it to hide my return plumbing and overflow that were exposed inside my tank. As well as to fill in some holes in the aquascape at the back of the tank. The big disadvantage I found was once it was there it wasn't changing. Due to some bad execution on my part there were also a couple spots that trapped detritus.

OP
OP
ErinAus2020

ErinAus2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a DIY version. Used expanding foam, base rock, and some sand. I used it to hide my return plumbing and overflow that were exposed inside my tank. As well as to fill in some holes in the aquascape at the back of the tank. The big disadvantage I found was once it was there it wasn't changing. Due to some bad execution on my part there were also a couple spots that trapped detritus.

Sounds very much like what’s been done in this tank. It curves to hide the return/overflow. Did you get high nitrates, etc from the detritus?

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds very much like what’s been done in this tank. It curves to hide the return/overflow. Did you get high nitrates, etc from the detritus?

I tried to keep it blown off or vac'd when doing maintenance. Tank was only running for about 10 months so it wasn't up long.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back