OP
OP
N

NTSdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I am very impressed how friendly and how many welcoming messages I got.
Well to answer a little bit about my system it is a Res Sea Reefer XL625. With 2 MP 40s and one Ice cap 3k for flow, 3 Radeons Gen 4, and for skimmer Reagal 200 INT. For return pump Varios 2. My main issue is overfeeding, GREAT, same bad habits. My last phospate reading was 3. Few of my corals are showing discoloration ( the ones with purple colors) one zoa and Space monkeys. Got carbon and gfo.

15959683196856011104510952820471.jpg

OP
OP
N

NTSdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Alonso.
Please share your different approach.
Maybe we have some similar experience.
Hope to hear about your latest success.
Well mostly maintenance is a must, 30% water change every 2 weeks, filter floss change every 3 to 4 days, trying to feed less ( MY BIGGEST PROBLEM STILL) at least I admit to it now. Dealing with 2 to 3 phospate, everything else ok.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mostly maintenance is a must, 30% water change every 2 weeks, filter floss change every 3 to 4 days, trying to feed less ( MY BIGGEST PROBLEM STILL) at least I admit to it now. Dealing with 2 to 3 phospate, everything else ok.
How do you test your phosphate?
Do you mean 2 to 3 ppm, which is pretty high?
Water changes alone won't do it for me for phosphate. I run a cheto refugium, with a good light. And gfo and brightwell aquatics phosphat-e every couple of months.
What do you feed, we might be able to id some high phosphate foods, like reef roids.

OP
OP
N

NTSdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you test your phosphate?
Do you mean 2 to 3 ppm, which is pretty high?
Water changes alone won't do it for me for phosphate. I run a cheto refugium, with a good light. And gfo and brightwell aquatics phosphat-e every couple of months.
What do you feed, we might be able to id some high phosphate foods, like reef roids.
Yeap, I started using an small mix of flakes, pellets and reef roids in my automatic feeder, 2 times a day, on the small feed amount. Down to one now, Running GFO and getting liquid Phosphate-e soon to slowly bring it down, also I do about 1 cube of a variety of frozen food a day, I have about 9 fishes total. No chaeto/refugium set up yet, cant find it, without the risk of getting some unwanted pest.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap, I started using an small mix of flakes, pellets and reef roids in my automatic feeder, 2 times a day, on the small feed amount. Down to one now, Running GFO and getting liquid Phosphate-e soon to slowly bring it down, also I do about 1 cube of a variety of frozen food a day, I have about 9 fishes total. No chaeto/refugium set up yet, cant find it, without the risk of getting some unwanted pest.
I run the phosphat-e diluted in 500ml ro, dripped into 5 micron sox over 8 hours. Enough to drop 0.5 phosphate per day. Remove the gfo when you do this or it'll desorb phosphate to match the tank.
I stopped the reef roid.
Do not run phosphat-e below 0.2 ppm phosphate of you risk unbound lanthanum in the water, which can hurt livestock.
Be careful and goodluck.
Get the hanna lr phosphate checker to monitor progress.

OP
OP
N

NTSdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the phosphat-e diluted in 500ml ro, dripped into 5 micron sox over 8 hours. Enough to drop 0.5 phosphate per day. Remove the gfo when you do this or it'll desorb phosphate to match the tank.
I stopped the reef roid.
Do not run phosphat-e below 0.2 ppm phosphate of you risk unbound lanthanum in the water, which can hurt livestock.
Be careful and goodluck.
Get the hanna lr phosphate checker to monitor progress.
Wow, Thank you so much Pistondog

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Thank you so much Pistondog
You're welcome.
Some add to the display tank water directly and wait hours for skimmer to clear the floculate that forms from the lanthanum binding the phosphate. They have great looking tanks. There are stories of some species (tangs?) fish swimming thru the clouds and not making it thru. Or clams dieing over weeks of use. Better to use it cautiously, as some livestock in your tank might be irritated.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back