New to reef2reef

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I’m new to reefing and I’m very excited to get started. I’ve been watching lots of videos and talking to many experienced reefers to get all the knowledge I can. One thing I’ve learned fast, is that everyone has their own way, which can be a little frustrating when being new to the Hobby. I also wished I talked to everyone before diving in head first. I’ve had my tank for exactly 1 week and I already want a bigger tank bc of all the fish I want and can’t have bc of the size of my tank. 1st rookie mistake, not going bigger the first time around... oh well, this 60 gal will become either my sick tank or my holding tank... Lol.

Welcome to R2R! It’s definitely hard for me to be patient too, happy reefing and hope you get an upgrade too!

giphy.gif

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I’m new to reefing and I’m very excited to get started. I’ve been watching lots of videos and talking to many experienced reefers to get all the knowledge I can. One thing I’ve learned fast, is that everyone has their own way, which can be a little frustrating when being new to the Hobby. I also wished I talked to everyone before diving in head first. I’ve had my tank for exactly 1 week and I already want a bigger tank bc of all the fish I want and can’t have bc of the size of my tank. 1st rookie mistake, not going bigger the first time around... oh well, this 60 gal will become either my sick tank or my holding tank... Lol.
Welcome! Buyers remorse 7 days in lol too funny! Good luck with your journey!

OP
OP
Janna-Leigh

Janna-Leigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I need some advice ....
let me start out by saying, i set up my new tank on the July 11th and started adding fish 3 days later. Today make 15 days into the tank process. And my son in law came over to test my water and all my levels are through the roof.
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 100
I asked if I should do a water change and I was told not to, to let my tank cycle, that this was normal and that I should not of even let him test the water before 6 weeks... any advice.
Btw, all the fish look great and are eating fine, swimming around good. However I am starting to get what looks like Light brown algae on 1 of my rocks, other than that everything else looks great.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I need some advice ....
let me start out by saying, i set up my new tank on the July 11th and started adding fish 3 days later. Today make 15 days into the tank process. And my son in law came over to test my water and all my levels are through the roof.
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 100
I asked if I should do a water change and I was told not to, to let my tank cycle, that this was normal and that I should not of even let him test the water before 6 weeks... any advice.
Btw, all the fish look great and are eating fine, swimming around good. However I am starting to get what looks like Light brown algae on 1 of my rocks, other than that everything else looks great.

Hopefully someone else will chime in, but perhaps that’s the start of the “ugly stage” that new tanks go through?

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally waited at least a month to add any fish. At 3 days, your tank has not cycled. Did you use live rock or dry rock?

OP
OP
Janna-Leigh

Janna-Leigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally waited at least a month to add any fish. At 3 days, your tank has not cycled. Did you use live rock or dry rock?
Yes I did. Or at least that is what I was told... the rocks were sitting in tanks with fish and were being treated with addition bacteria. The fish in the rocks were not for sale but was told it was live rock

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back