New to reefing looking for help

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your lights. More blue, 50 maybe 75% (that fluval is a weak light to start with). Drop the magenta, or maybe leave it at 5-10% if you prefer it visually.

The ammonia is a concern, whether it be because it might be there or because you have a poor test kit. Look into other brands of tests.

And hi :) welcome to r2r

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the DMV.
20200126_220339.jpg

Happy to try to help.
I doubt you have any ammonia unless something LARGE died in the tank and it's in there rotting.

The color tests (API) are not bad tests. They get you in the ballpark and can keep you out of trouble as long as they are not expired.

If need be, go to petco or petsmart and pick up a new test kit. Just find it on their website as in store prices are way higher and they do honor their online prices.

OP
OP
C

CoralNoobDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and there's no need to rush adding corals. I would at least add a fish and start testing to get measurements on your tank. I am located in Washington DC I haven't found a go to store to buy frags locally. I have bought majority of my frags on this site or online. You get a some good deals.
Cool... I've had fish in there filter 7 months though. I've got 6 in there. I did notice that one of my hermits was just nibbling at the zoa frag. That could be closing them.

There is a really good coral store in Springfield. A bit pricey but really nice corals.

OP
OP
C

CoralNoobDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just ran another ammonia test I'm gonna say it's 0 ppm because the color is pale yellow. However I'm still wondering what you guys mean by my tank is too young for corals. Is there a timeline for adding corals to your tank? If so what does that timeline look like say from set up to where I am now?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just ran another ammonia test I'm gonna say it's 0 ppm because the color is pale yellow. However I'm still wondering what you guys mean by my tank is too young for corals. Is there a timeline for adding corals to your tank? If so what does that timeline look like say from set up to where I am now?

If your tank is a year old, it's not too young for corals.
EDIT:
I did not realize your tank was only up since November. I saw "Last year November" but I did not pay attention to the "November" part.
Your Nitrates are kind of high. I would suggest you check your phosphates.

The things to watch the MOST are...
Calcium
Alk
Mag

After that...
Nitrates
Phosphates

Do you have a skimmer?
What are you using for filtration?

The MOST IMPORTANT of all is STABILITY!
To reach stability, you must be patient. It will come but it takes time.

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mean by young is a 3 month old tank is still going thru changes of stability with bacteria and such. Corals like stability in general. Most of us, myself included, have added coral to soon and seen that, thought they may not die, they don’t show their beautiful nature until a few more months down the road when the tank starts to show signs of stability. That is what we mean when we say patience. We are not trying to be hard on you, so please don’t take it that way, we want you to have success in this great hobby and these are lesson we ourselves have already had to deal with. :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 105 80.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back