New To Reefing

DaniG275

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am inheriting my husbands 32 gallon Biocube, unfortunately with the pandemic he has to work 2 jobs so he’s not home to take care of the tank. I am trying to learn everything I can as quickly as I can to help him with weekly water changes and such. He’s been battling for months this green hair like algae and I’m doing my own research trying to determine what we can do to eliminate it. It really loves to grow around his I think he calls it a zoa garden and a gsp. The hermit crabs all carry some on their shells too... I try to pick as much of it off as I can but it’s a battle. I love our clowns and my pulsing Xenia coral. I am so excited to learn as I go along. I’m willing to take any tips and tricks to help my husband with his favorite hobby. :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Let's get this tank fixed up so your husband will be super surprised! It doesn't look bad at all.

First thing I'll recommend is starting a brand new thread in the Reef Aquarium Discussion forum specifically on how to deal with the algae. You should get a nice focused plan of attack there. Be ready with information like water parameters and lighting intensities and schedules. Generally though, dial down the white light a bit, decrease feedings, and increase water changes.

This thread is going to be a whole lot of greetings and salutations!

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! We’ve had the tank running for about 10 months now, we just recently started corals and that’s when the green hair algae started.
That’s pretty impressive! I battled green hair for about the first 6 months and its finally starting to thin out as the tank has stabilized. I did adjust my lighting schedule and intensity a bit during the process. I’m sure one of the brilliant minds on here will be able to help more than me.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Let's get this tank fixed up so your husband will be super surprised! It doesn't look bad at all.

First thing I'll recommend is starting a brand new thread in the Reef Aquarium Discussion forum specifically on how to deal with the algae. You should get a nice focused plan of attack there. Be ready with information like water parameters and lighting intensities and schedules. Generally though, dial down the white light a bit, decrease feedings, and increase water changes.

This thread is going to be a whole lot of greetings and salutations!
Agree with @Cell most of this forum is the Welcome Wagon Gang. You might also use the search feature and look at existing threads.

Welcome to the reef, you came to the right place for help and thanks for looking after your husbands tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and we’re glad you joined us

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back