New to reefs/live rock

dugan127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We ordered a 28 gal nano tank and are wondering what kind, amount of live rock we should use. We were looking online at gulfliverock.com for some rock. We were thinking of 20lbs of coraline rock and 17 pounds of premium decorative rock. We were going to just put in tank as it will be only thing in it to cycle. Is this a good idea? Anything you would recommend that would work better? LFS has only has mostly white rocks they submerge in a tank once they come in.

jacobb89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General rule of thumb is 1-1.5lbs per gallon. So you are in that ballpark for that. As for cycling you will go through the cycling process as the live rock will have die off which is fine as it will help it the cycle process. Another site for live rock is liverockandreef.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from bulkreefsupply. I've gotten some rock, sand and equipment from them and their customer service is pretty good. It's all dry rock, and will take longer to cycle/cure, but it's inexpensive. If you do decide to go the dry rock route, make sure to clean it up really good.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real Reef", Eco Friendly Natural Live Rock - Fully Cured
at dfs.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike are you using the Real Reef in your system?

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet I just ordered a box. Looks like It maybe great stuff from all the reviews. Setting up another tank so I am going to try it. Cheaper than paying $10 lb at lfs lol.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 105 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.1%
Back