New to saltwater having issues with fish.... disappearing or bacterial?

Phil11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 40 breeder set up with a sail fin tang. I seen the fish when I started a small maintenance of cleaning my pump/prefilter/pump case, filter sock change. Then about 30/40 min later my tang had a cloudy puffy eye.

fish1.jpg fish2.jpg

OP
OP
Phil11

Phil11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 40 breeder set up with a sail fin tang. I seen the fish when I started a small maintenance of cleaning my pump/prefilter/pump case, filter sock change. Then about 30/40 min later my tang had a cloudy puffy eye.

fish1.jpg fish2.jpg
If anybody could help it would be much helpful and thankful. Puffeye or cloudeye

OP
OP
Phil11

Phil11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying but my night light run was on ill try to snag a small video

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look similar to pop eye. Did it freak out when you started working on the tank

OP
OP
Phil11

Phil11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't attach the full video but in these pictures you can see the red around the eye. I feed a variety of frozen foods a day + a sheet of vegi-weeds every-other day. she eats healthy and has always been a good tank make to others. her name is Susan

fish 5.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've read about this happening when the pH is low too

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like popeye. It's usually from an injury that causes fluid to build up and push the eye out. They usually recover on their own given the right circumstances. Low stress, high quality food, vitamins and maybe an antibiotic would help.

I will mention politely, since im not sure you are aware. A 40 breeder is way too small for a sail fin tang. That fish needs a 180 gallon tank when grown out. The stress of being in a small tank could cause further health problems.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0E10B1CF-FBC3-4D30-84AD-FDD08207A069.gif

It's most likely a bacterial infection, check your maintenance schedule, how often do you do water changes - how much % of the tank?
What do you feed your fish, does it have enough vitamines?
Start filtering over carbon to remove anything your skimmer can't, and replace / clean any filter sponges you may have.

In addition to that you can move them to a qt to start treating for a surface infection with a antibiotic such as Nitrofurazone.

Source: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/cloudy-eye-s.78353/

Also read: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cloudy-eyes.335948/ & https://www.thesprucepets.com/popeye-in-saltwater-aquarium-fish-3888404

Are their eyes swollen?

According to the 3rd link it could be 'Popeye'

I quote:

"The treatment for Popeye is the same as for almost any other bacterial infection which is the administration of a good saltwater aquarium fish broad spectrum antibiotic such as tetracycline, chloramphenicol or kanamycin which will kill the invading bacteria. The earlier the treatment is administered, the better the odds of a full recovery.

Since the antibiotics used for the treatment of this condition can damage the biological filter in a saltwater aquarium, if the other occupants of the show tank do not show signs of Popeye, it is best to remove the affected fish to a Quarantine Tank for treatment."

All though, I'd always put them into a QT, you don't want a treatment of any kind to get into your DT, you can easily dump the water that you put into the QT after you're done treating them.

Good luck!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second @Robin Haselden. High water quality, low stress, good food it usually takes care of it.

My chulk bass had this happen when I scared it and it dove into a rock. A few days later all good.

OP
OP
Phil11

Phil11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a API master saltwater test kit and it was low on all levels. I did dip the tang shortly after i got it, because i seen 2 small white spots on it. she was also following my cleaner shrimp around almost looking for it to clean her (idk if thats normal for a tang). After the dip the fish looked great always ate well and looks healthy.

OP
OP
Phil11

Phil11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very possible for an injury i would insist because it was a bit of a task to catch her for the dip. If it is an injury, will vitamin/antibiotic feeding help? I do have a spare tank around but have never cycled it. Would trying medicated food be okay for a day?

OP
OP
Phil11

Phil11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like popeye. It's usually from an injury that causes fluid to build up and push the eye out. They usually recover on their own given the right circumstances. Low stress, high quality food, vitamins and maybe an antibiotic would help.

I will mention politely, since im not sure you are aware. A 40 breeder is way too small for a sail fin tang. That fish needs a 180 gallon tank when grown out. The stress of being in a small tank could cause further health problems.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

• I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

• Other.

Back