New to SPS so another lighting question.

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, so I have had some minor success in the past with a few pieces of sps. But that's only been roughly 3 pieces so I'd consider myself very new to SPS. Now I know in the hobby everyone is very passionate about lighting. My concern here isn't if my lights are good enough because if for some reason they turn out not to be Ill upgrade accordingly but if they are, at least for the time being, I will keep them the same.

The question I have is there a visible way to determine if an sps coral is getting the correct amount of lighting? I would assume polyp extension as well as constant color would be a fair way to determine its good. And a it browning I might want to raise it or whitening I should lower. Is this correct?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not tell us what type of lighting you’re running, and then it’ll be easier to help you.

I’m assuming you’re running LED because if you were running T5 or MH I don’t think this would be a thread.

I can tell when things aren’t doing so hot when they’re all turning green (too much blue LEDs/spectrum), brown is usually from too much N and P in my tank (not lack of light as people had issues with before), the correct spectrum and intensity produces the best growth, health and color, especially accentuated when all blue LEDs are on.

So, what are you working with?

OP
OP
DazAquariums

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently running Hydra 26 HDs on the tank now. This is my current lighting schedule.

so far the couple of sps I have in the tank look amazing. They are still new to the tank but even in the lower light section still seem to be thriving so far.
3D6BB769-BD61-4992-BDF8-4F51AF54BED1.jpeg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently running Hydra 26 HDs on the tank now. This is my current lighting schedule.

so far the couple of sps I have in the tank look amazing. They are still new to the tank but even in the lower light section still seem to be thriving so far.
3D6BB769-BD61-4992-BDF8-4F51AF54BED1.jpeg
Have you tested for par?

OP
OP
DazAquariums

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested for par?
I have not. But is that the only way to tell wether the coral itself is happy? I’m sure it would help with possible optimal placement but is there a visual representation? Like birdsnest. Always online recommend high light but I’ve witnessed them grow very well in low light. I grew pocillopora and Montipora (cap and digi) in pretty low late

dvp95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you can certainly see if things look healthy based on color, extension, and actual growth. Then there are more objective ways like PAR levels. I think if things are growing and look good then there is no reason to worry. However, if it is not growing then renting a PAR meter is a reasonable next step.

Vakko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. But is that the only way to tell wether the coral itself is happy? I’m sure it would help with possible optimal placement but is there a visual representation? Like birdsnest. Always online recommend high light but I’ve witnessed them grow very well in low light. I grew pocillopora and Montipora (cap and digi) in pretty low late

While PAR is a factual piece of information for a particular 3-dimensional spot in your tank, PAR is still only a suggestion for your corals by species. Just like alk, calc, temp, etc.

I think every piece of advice that I've seen for coral is always to start low and slowly move the frag/colony around until you've found the spot that it likes the most.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back