New to the Forum

dkline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the Philly area and have had my reef tank for about 3 years. It is a 55 gallon tank that is perhaps just starting to get on the right track

Filtration is a hang on back and a canister filter. No sump.

Lights are two current marine ic pro with blues at 100% and white at 10%.

Have an apex controller with Trident for daily visibility into the tank. Use Hanna for alk, nitrates, phosphates and salifert for CA and Mag.

Was dosing BRS two part but have recently started dosing kalkwasser with BRS 50ml dosing pump. My PH always rides at 7.6 range so started Kalk to handle all and CA whole Getting a PH boost. This has boosted PH To 7.9 to 8.0. Also added an air stone to also try to boost PH. Not pulling from outside air but hoping it provides a little more help.

Have a Jaebo wave pump set on low that periodically increases flow throughout the day.

I don’t have a big fish and coral load. I want to focus on stability and keeping what I have happy before doing more.

8 Fish
Coral are softy and LPS. leather, toadstool, acans, cloves, pipe organ, mushrooms, Zoas and Kenya tree. All doing well at this time. Also have a Duncan coral for 3 months that will just not open. Each day it starts to peak out but just won’t open. I have had it high in the tank and low. Under low light and higher light (140 par). But no success. I love Duncan’s so I would love to figure it out.

Hoping to upgrade to a bigger tank in the near future. I feel like I am dangerous enough now to try bigger. With better equipment. Better lights and a sump with skimmer.

I really enjoy the forum. Good to be part of the community.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board. hello from PA!
since you're local to eastern, pa, take a look over at:

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the Philly area and have had my reef tank for about 3 years. It is a 55 gallon tank that is perhaps just starting to get on the right track

Have an apex controller with Trident for daily visibility into the tank. Use Hanna for alk, nitrates, phosphates and salifert for CA and Mag.

Was dosing BRS two part but have recently started dosing kalkwasser with BRS 50ml dosing pump. My PH always rides at 7.6 range so started Kalk to handle all and CA whole Getting a PH boost. This has boosted PH To 7.9 to 8.0. Also added an air stone to also try to boost PH. Not pulling from outside air but hoping it provides a little more help.

Have a Jaebo wave pump set on low that periodically increases flow throughout the day.

I don’t have a big fish and coral load. I want to focus on stability and keeping what I have happy before doing more.

8 Fish
Coral are softy and LPS. leather, toadstool, acans, cloves, pipe organ, mushrooms, Zoas and Kenya tree. All doing well at this time. Also have a Duncan coral for 3 months that will just not open. Each day it starts to peak out but just won’t open. I have had it high in the tank and low. Under low light and higher light (140 par). But no success. I love Duncan’s so I would love to figure it out.

Hoping to upgrade to a bigger tank in the near future. I feel like I am dangerous enough now to try bigger. With better equipment. Better lights and a sump with skimmer.

Welcome to R2R! This is a great forum, we are happy to have you here! Everyone here is willing to help, and chat about reefing

OP
OP
D

dkline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

8 Fish

Thanks all. Any ideas on my Duncan’s just never opening? They are alive. They start to peak out each day but just never ever open.

Salinity 1.024
Alk. Currently 11 since starting Kalk a month ago. But normally is in the high 8 or low 9 range. I’ll back down on Kalk strength to lower it.
PH is 7.9 to 8. Was 7.6 range before using Kalk
CA is always around 440
Mg around 1450
Nitrates below 20
Phosphates below .1

Currently the Duncan’s are mounted on a rock on the sand bed which is around 100 par.

current marine ic pro lights are up 100% blue and 10% white.

I feed them benereef once a week and the eat it. But will not open for 3 months. Also dose Red Sea AB+ once a week.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back