New to the hobby

wesmx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I am new to the hobby of reef keeping and reef2reef community. I have recently setup a 30L aquarium. It is a Camry Q3-380. As I knew nothing about reefs or marine aquariums, I did my research, spoke to some people in the hobby and read a few articles. I chose the dead shrimp cycle, with sachem stability. A month later I had my water parameters tested at my LFS and got the thumbs up the tank was ready.

My question is around the fish in the tank, I have two juvenile clown fish in the tank. The LFS I got them from gave me advice on what time they were fed and what food they were feeding with. The fish were fed in the morning and with blood worm.

This morning when turning on the lights, I found the clowns "sitting" on the sand bed. I naturally thought they were dying as I could see very little movement but I could see them breathing and moving very slowly. I left them for a few minutes and came back to find them swimming normally around the tank. Is this normal clownfish behaviour. Do clown fish sleep? I keep no lights on at night. I have the blues set to about 20% at night for two hours before turning them off. and blue/white on during the day at 60%.

I tried to feed the clowns this morning but they were very uninterested in the blood worm. As my LFS told me they feed them early morning, I tried to keep to the same routine. The blood worm floated to the bottom and that is were it stayed. Should I be concerned about this? The late afternoon before, I fed a little to see how they would react and they ate perfectly fine.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1400.jpeg IMG_1404.jpeg IMG_1405.jpeg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, totally normal for Clowns to lay down on the sand at night (or anywhere else for that matter). I wouldn't be too concerned about them not eating yet since they are new. You can try some other foods also (like mysis).

Saltydog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I am new to the hobby of reef keeping and reef2reef community. I have recently setup a 30L aquarium. It is a Camry Q3-380. As I knew nothing about reefs or marine aquariums, I did my research, spoke to some people in the hobby and read a few articles. I chose the dead shrimp cycle, with sachem stability. A month later I had my water parameters tested at my LFS and got the thumbs up the tank was ready.

My question is around the fish in the tank, I have two juvenile clown fish in the tank. The LFS I got them from gave me advice on what time they were fed and what food they were feeding with. The fish were fed in the morning and with blood worm.

This morning when turning on the lights, I found the clowns "sitting" on the sand bed. I naturally thought they were dying as I could see very little movement but I could see them breathing and moving very slowly. I left them for a few minutes and came back to find them swimming normally around the tank. Is this normal clownfish behaviour. Do clown fish sleep? I keep no lights on at night. I have the blues set to about 20% at night for two hours before turning them off. and blue/white on during the day at 60%.

I tried to feed the clowns this morning but they were very uninterested in the blood worm. As my LFS told me they feed them early morning, I tried to keep to the same routine. The blood worm floated to the bottom and that is were it stayed. Should I be concerned about this? The late afternoon before, I fed a little to see how they would react and they ate perfectly fine.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1400.jpeg IMG_1404.jpeg IMG_1405.jpeg
very nice

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with trying to vary the food. Frozen fish eggs was always a huge hit in my tank.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Clownfish do sleep on the sand sometimes. They generally find a safe area, and just stop swimming to rest. Mine slept on the overflow gate, which gave me a fright when I first saw them. I thought that the flow had sucked them to the overflow and killed them. Nope, just sleeping. As far as the food goes, frozen mysis or fish eggs are the best for them nutritionally speaking. Blood worms aren't the best food for them, and I'd recommend switching to something else. I hope that this helps!

OP
OP
wesmx

wesmx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone that commented. Your advice and comments were much appreciated.

I managed to get some mysis from my LFS and some dry food as well.

Today when I got home I noticed the Clowns were and are much more active then yesterday. They are now swimming all around the tank and not hovering in a pair in a corner.

They ate but not alot.

Thank you all again.

Attachments

• C66E8EB8-5C28-4E75-816D-86D888297B80.jpeg
    C66E8EB8-5C28-4E75-816D-86D888297B80.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 31
  • B8F35C34-440A-4000-9901-C6902BC9B6F8.jpeg
    B8F35C34-440A-4000-9901-C6902BC9B6F8.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 31

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back