New to this need help

Darkangel087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so me and my boyfriend started are own saltwater tank it's been a few months now we have a very happy carpet anemone 2 clown a sorry * he he I just like calling her that* XD we have some blue lags and a snow flake eel a sand sifter star and a chocolate chip star now my issue is with the ch star he was doing really good for about 3 months then one day he just sat on the bottom of the tank and curled his legs up he's starting to get more dark red and has lighter spots inbetween his chips, I don't know if he's dieing or if it's just something that they do but would like to know if I can save him or if he's to far gone we also have a pretty bad out brake of grass alge and are trying to get it under control. Ty anything thing helps :)

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi angel! and welcome to the nut house. pictures would help tons, in seeing what your starfish is going through. also, have you tested your water? what are your parameters? what water do you use for water changes? by the sound of the grass or more likely hair algae, your phosphates might be too high. the hair algae will collect debris & spike your nitrates. i would suggest to do a 20% water change & while syphoning the water, pluck off as much hair algae with your fingers & syphon it out with the tube. i would use seachems phosgaurd to lower the PO4, if thats the issue, which sounds like it is. if you can answer my questions, it will help others in understanding your problem. good luck & happy reefing!

OP
OP
D

Darkangel087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I'm not sure if that worked doing this off my phone lol but I'm trying to put a pic of the grass and the star

OP
OP
D

Darkangel087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
ok and this is my chocolate chip star I don't know what's going on but it's making me sad help plz :(

OP
OP
D

Darkangel087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I put some shrimp under him and he opend up a little but my snowflake eel took it from under him... We are getting rid of the eel because we do know he's bad with some stuff we need for upkeep on the tank but this is a better pic of what his top looks like with the funny color circles he's now got

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hair algae is not so bad, looks somewhat normal. snails or emerald crabs should take care of it. the starfish does look a bit stressed. have you tested your water? what are the parameters? if you don't own a test kit, grab a small container, about 4oz should do & take it to your local fish shop (LFS) for testing. the staff of a good local shop will have no problem testing your water & will also give you some advice on how to take care of the problem. i do suggest to do a water change, minimum 15 gal., using Reverse Osmosis water & dont use any of that dechlorinator stuff. by the looks of that red & green slim algae on your sand bed, you might have some phosphate issues, which invertebrates are sensitive to. good luck with everything.

OP
OP
D

Darkangel087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well like I said still kinda new at this ill be testing the water in about an hr just have to get a few things from the lfs the starfish passed away sadly the ither fish were picking at him this morning so I took him out :( sad panda... But the grass is all over my tank not huff on he rock Juliette that cactus only one I could get a good shot of to see it Clearly I'll add a ok of the full tank it's 45gal 50lbs of live rock a few mushrooms a carpet anemone snowflake eel, 2 clowns, a dorry, and a small bule one I don't know the kind. Were going to do a 20% water change today I tested the water yesterday everything was good exept the nitrites were really high so I will re test again tomrrow once everything has settled a little that sound good? Or can I test later today?
image.jpg

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nitrites are high you are going to have problems. You need to test all your parameters to see what is going on. Hair algae is caused by excess nutrients in the water usually from overfeeding. You need to be doing water changes with a good salt mix and rodi water untill you can get everything back in balance. But the nitrites are a big concern.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Mike. Got an issue there. Phosphates are going to be an issue also, im suprised your Anemone hasn't had any issues as of yet. Check out the water parameters, do needed water changes to get those Nitrites down before they can blow up your Nitrates and give you all kinds of a headache.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "dory" (blue tang) needs something more in the line of 180g. Gets to be a large, boisterous, active fish.

OP
OP
D

Darkangel087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty guys for all your help I'm doing a water change fisrt thing tomorrow and cleaning the hell out of me tank lol I'll keep re reading what you guys have said and will post what I can for any questions I have yet to annswer thx again :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back