New torch not fully extended

Mrdbzking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a new order of corals come in last Thursday, so it's been about 3 days. The cotton candy torch refuses to filly extend. It's got what I would consider perfect flow, and I'd say its under about 100 par. Any ideas? It's also got about 4 heads on it. Below is a picture of the torch as well as my parameters.

20220605_190558.jpg Screenshot_20220605-191354_Samsung Notes.jpg

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If new coral is not opened in days, usualy something is not quite right, or simply enough different than previous tank where he been....

Similar conditions and corals barely show difference, opens almost instantly.

Nothing to worry, give him day or two more....

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check phosphates, ensure they're not too high
Look at torch at nighttime for flatworm presence around tissue - had a green torch that appeared stubby but otherwise healthy and that was the culprit. I have found my torches are fine with phosphates up to .2 but much higher and they start receding. Of course every torch is different - also what is perfect flow to you isn't necessarily perfect from the perspective of the coral - but they definitely are finicky and don't like being moved so it could be as stated above and just be adjusting still

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check phosphates, ensure they're not too high
Look at torch at nighttime for flatworm presence around tissue - had a green torch that appeared stubby but otherwise healthy and that was the culprit. I have found my torches are fine with phosphates up to .2 but much higher and they start receding. Of course every torch is different - also what is perfect flow to you isn't necessarily perfect from the perspective of the coral - but they definitely are finicky and don't like being moved so it could be as stated above and just be adjusting still
This. Zero PO4 issues would take weeks to show. But if moved from 0.03 in store water to let's say .8 or higher could be a stressor. Something to think about as you didn't list you PO4 iirc..

OP
OP
M

Mrdbzking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Zero PO4 issues would take weeks to show. But if moved from 0.03 in store water to let's say .8 or higher could be a stressor. Something to think about as you didn't list you PO4 iirc..
I did a dip and was surprised to find 0 flat worms, lol. But I have been keeping an eye on it at night, and I havent noticed anything out of character yet. It did open up a little more today as well. Could just be what everyone is saying, its still acclimating. I did order a Po4 test, because I ran out. It just hasn't come yet. When I tested about 8 days ago, my phosphates were reading .02, which I think is pretty acceptable.

Back