New tricolor wrasse

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just bought a tricolor fairy wrasse 3 days ago, beautiful fish, but stays in the rocks most of the time but comes out to eat. I notice it thrashing against the sand and has this white thing on his mouth. Pics below

Attachments

• 69540138032__F430D154-AE6F-445B-9AED-D014E26E6200.MOV
    1.3 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So just bought a tricolor fairy wrasse 3 days ago, beautiful fish, but stays in the rocks most of the time but comes out to eat. I notice it thrashing against the sand and has this white thing on his mouth. Pics below
Looks like a solorensis but hard to see with deep blue lighting

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That behavior is called "flashing" and the wrasse is trying to dislodge something that is irritating its skin or gills. The most common cause for that is detritus in the water or skin flukes. The latter can be treated with Prazipro, two doses, 8 days apart but with really good aeration.

Is the fish still eating? If so, then you could try the Prazipro (or general cure if it is in a treatment tank, not with invertebrates). If the wrasse is NOT eating, there may be other issues at the same time. for that we need additional information: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...sease-treatment-and-diagnosis-section.775547/

Jay

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That behavior is called "flashing" and the wrasse is trying to dislodge something that is irritating its skin or gills. The most common cause for that is detritus in the water or skin flukes. The latter can be treated with Prazipro, two doses, 8 days apart but with really good aeration.

Is the fish still eating? If so, then you could try the Prazipro (or general cure if it is in a treatment tank, not with invertebrates). If the wrasse is NOT eating, there may be other issues at the same time. for that we need additional information: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...sease-treatment-and-diagnosis-section.775547/

Jay
Wrasse is eating as of an hour ago, I have parozipro but I don’t know if it’s reef safe

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just started freaking out and is laying down now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took a good look at him, he’s got tiny flukes all over him. I have a 55 gal FOWLR tank that I dose any kind of medication in so what is used to treat flukes?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took a good look at him, he’s got tiny flukes all over him. I have a 55 gal FOWLR tank that I dose any kind of medication in so what is used to treat flukes?

I'm not sure what you are seeing on its skin - flukes are very small and really cannot be seen with the naked eye. There is one larger fluke, Neobenedenia, that is about the size and shape of a sesame seed. However, even those are clear and really cannot be seen when on the fish.

Prazipro is reef safe, as long as you put a strong airstone in the tank. Run your skimmer also, just don't collect any skimmate.

jay

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you are seeing on its skin - flukes are very small and really cannot be seen with the naked eye. There is one larger fluke, Neobenedenia, that is about the size and shape of a sesame seed. However, even those are clear and really cannot be seen when on the fish.

Prazipro is reef safe, as long as you put a strong airstone in the tank. Run your skimmer also, just don't collect any skimmate.

jay
I don’t have a skimmer, the flukes did look to be the length of a sesame seed, but not as thick

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: dosed with parazipro and put my air stone in, wrasse looks ok but hasn’t come out much, didn’t eat flake but I’m going to try mystis. Something I found is that he lays by the cleaner shrimp and wants to get cleaned

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: dosed with parazipro and put my air stone in, wrasse looks ok but hasn’t come out much, didn’t eat flake but I’m going to try mystis. Something I found is that he lays by the cleaner shrimp and wants to get cleaned
If it is flukes, improvement won't be immediate, it takes time, the fish needs to heal from all of the tiny hloes caused by the flukes on the gills/skin.

That posturing by the cleaner shrimp is a pretty clear sign of some skin infection.

jay

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is flukes, improvement won't be immediate, it takes time, the fish needs to heal from all of the tiny hloes caused by the flukes on the gills/skin.

That posturing by the cleaner shrimp is a pretty clear sign of some skin infection.

jay
Ok, Should I do anything else for the fish? Or parazipro will work

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Should I do anything else for the fish? Or parazipro will work
You'll need to redose Prazipro after 8 days. What you should do now is observe the fish over the next few days to see if their condition improves. If not, there is something else going on with them. Secondary bacterial infections can happen after fluke infections.

Jay

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to redose Prazipro after 8 days. What you should do now is observe the fish over the next few days to see if their condition improves. If not, there is something else going on with them. Secondary bacterial infections can happen after fluke infections.

Jay
I think the parazipro worked out ok as he doesn’t have any flukes I can see anymore, no more thrashing but not eating a lot and still stays hidden

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: fish came out today and was swimming good, and to my surprise, I have a pod population after only having the tank for 2 months. He’s eating the pods and I dropped in some flakes and he ate them, then only problem is that I noticed it has either a loose scale or a bacterial tuft on him, sorry for the bad pics, he doesn’t stay out of the cave long

Attachments

• F5C3B42B-3DE5-4EC3-A4DB-F99A75C70ECB.png
    F5C3B42B-3DE5-4EC3-A4DB-F99A75C70ECB.png
    680.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 5CFE5302-0434-4FDB-926C-A3D15C3EDAEE.png
    5CFE5302-0434-4FDB-926C-A3D15C3EDAEE.png
    553 KB · Views: 32

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can’t make out much in the photo.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update: fish came out today and was swimming good, and to my surprise, I have a pod population after only having the tank for 2 months. He’s eating the pods and I dropped in some flakes and he ate them, then only problem is that I noticed it has either a loose scale or a bacterial tuft on him, sorry for the bad pics, he doesn’t stay out of the cave long
While I can faintly see the spot which looks like an injury that is healing, Cannot be clear on that as Pics are very dark and best under white lighting for clear identification.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the spot is gone/fading and I added some new rocks in yesterday and he’s been out all day and eating copepods like crazy Pics below

Attachments

• 69636408391__92987DFA-BDC5-4BAB-94F1-B7A25743CA4F.MOV
    1 MB

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back