New Trident?

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen a store taking pre orders on the trident NP. 749. Ill pass at that price point
That would be a bummer. Will depend on final confirmed price but would likely go with Maven in that instance. Super annoying because I don’t understand why they couldn’t make a single unit that tests all 5 for that price if they can make & sell trident OG at $675.

sevenx7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Print or buy the mini trident case.

See above.

It is many months before it ships. The “Launch” is not the Maven tester. The Launch is a new hydros controller with different inputs. It’s almost a perfect starting point. Almost.

I’d be happy to print it for you for cost. In fact I have a black one ready to ship. I believe that’s about $50 but could confirm. If interested message me.
If you still have that one available let me know! Of the orange gray one just let me know the cost! PM me!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to touch on numerous posts I’m not gonna quote them all about the size.. from a business standpoint it’s a no brainer why Neptune made it exactly like the trident.. there’s zero new tooling or molds required or parts! It’s the exact same thing with a different sensor in it if even that! I’m sure it’s gonna be super easy to retro and old trident to the new one to test n & p if you can source the new sensor since I’m sure Neptune won’t send you one lol…

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just to touch on numerous posts I’m not gonna quote them all about the size.. from a business standpoint it’s a no brainer why Neptune made it exactly like the trident.. there’s zero new tooling or molds required or parts! It’s the exact same thing with a different sensor in it if even that! I’m sure it’s gonna be super easy to retro and old trident to the new one to test n & p if you can source the new sensor since I’m sure Neptune won’t send you one lol…
Yes and no. The Maven needs 7 total reagents. I would think it’s 2 and 2 for nitrate and phosphate. If that’s the case the trident np will be bigger. Unless they use smaller bottles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not the talking point I'd be curious to know why they don't allow more flexibility on the testing schedule.
I saw a neptune spokesman explain this. The available testing schedules exist because they minimize customer problems. If you had full flexibility in the testing schedule you'd have reagents expiring because you don't test enough.

Or, reagents would run out at different times. Leading to mixed and matched sets and likely expired reagents. You can likely imagine all the complications that might result from customers creating their own schedules.

Having said that, the very next thing they did is demonstrate how to customize the schedules now that the viewers were warned.

I walked away feeling satisfied that neptune was trying to keep us on the well worn path to success while also letting us blaze our own path if we really wanted to.

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish Neptune had a 5 in 1 testing system. I loved the comment about not being able to stack the units because their shape was inspired by Salvador Dali. lol

I love most of my neptune gear and it's the brain of my system. Also, nutrients have been the primary focus on my system for the last few months as I get carbon dosing up to speed and figure out what the tank needs.

You'd think I'm the perfect use case for the new trident and I'll probably buy it. Still, I wish I could replace my trident with a new one instead of maintaining and finding space for a second one.

I've never owned another controller so I have no idea if the grass is greener somewhere else.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. The Maven needs 7 total reagents. I would think it’s 2 and 2 for nitrate and phosphate. If that’s the case the trident np will be bigger. Unless they use smaller bottles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I’d imagine they are smaller… I can only assume it test once a day and even that isn’t really needed but who knows haha! The money is in the reagent obviously they wanna keep you coming back like a drug dealer so maybe it will test 3 times a day :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From saltwateraquarium.com:

Description​

The best selling automated tester ever released has been modified to now test Nitrates and Phosphates with a level of precision, accuracy and ease of use not seen before
  • Perfect for managing and understanding nutrients to
  • Manage Feeding
  • Plan Tank maintenance- i.e. filter sock changes, media replacement, water changes
  • Nutrient management through the of additives and reducers paired with a DOS or DOSQD
Preferred Uses:
  • Low Nutrient Systems
  • Reducers like NoPox and Lanthanum Chloride.
Specifications:
Automatically Tests (default) Nitrates and Phosphates once per day
Trident NP Includes
  • Trident NP
  • 1LINK Cable
  • Reagent Tray

I can buy a year's worth of Hanna nitrate and phosphate for about $120 and test twice weekly. So roughly 4.5 years of testing before I have spent $675 on reagents and the checkers themselves. I'm just not seeing the value in it at $675+. Maybe $400.

4.5 years of Hanna and 20 mins a week vs ~$800 to get me 1 year, with reagents and 20 mins a month, if it works properly or accurately.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
$749 lol hurry up and pre-order!!

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the MAVEN is estimated at $540, looking at the CAD price on it from a reserve price.

Sorry but APEX really botched this if that is the price, although i hope that isn't the real MSRP.
Its probably a "earily markup" price from the actual price.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i think the MAVEN is estimated at $540, looking at the CAD price on it from a reserve price.

Sorry but APEX really botched this if that is the price, although i hope that isn't the real MSRP.
Its probably a "earily markup" price from the actual price.
When I saw that I said that's got to be the CAD price, but nope, that store is in Massachusetts.

From what I read, I think the Maven will be around $999. Which for the capabilities plus controller included aspect, blows Trident away. $150 more gets you all the parameters plus control and ports for driving 12v devices and probes, etc. Why would anyone keep sticking with Neptune offering piece meal at stupid prices.

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the maven is anything other than vaporwear at this point? Are those that are going to RAP just going to see a 'shoddy casing full of used pinball machine parts'? A demonstration that is just good enough to fool the unsuspecting hobbyists?

I'm curious if the announcement is just a simple play at trying to tamp down the news of the new trident release? And if true, what's even more scary is that in true fashion (with everything in our hobby) they will rush to bring maven to market with nothing but problems attached to it.

I guess time will tell...

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Does anyone know if the maven is anything other than vaporwear at this point? Are those that are going to RAP just going to see a 'shoddy casing full of used pinball machine parts'? A demonstration that is just good enough to fool the unsuspecting hobbyists?

I'm curious if the announcement is just a simple play at trying to tamp down the news of the new trident release? And if true, what's even more scary is that in true fashion (with everything in our hobby) they will rush to bring maven to market with nothing but problems attached to it.

I guess time will tell...
I feel like CoralVue has a pretty good reputation of releasing solid products, no? Initially I ignored Hydros because I didn't think it would compete, but now it seems they are going to leave Neptune in the dust soon enough. If the Maven does what it says, Neptune is in serious trouble.

QSmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000004047.jpg

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a look at this at Reefapalooza today. Just like the Trident but with Nitrate and phosphate. I don't feel like buying this and adding another 700$ . They should have did an all in one. Not a good thought process by Apex R&D team(Just my Opinion).

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like CoralVue has a pretty good reputation of releasing solid products, no? Initially I ignored Hydros because I didn't think it would compete, but now it seems they are going to leave Neptune in the dust soon enough. If the Maven does what it says, Neptune is in serious trouble.

nah... the reagents for Maven are going to be held by coralvue... which means no abcreagents, and no knowing how much its going to cost.

But i fully expect them to go on the Gillette model like how Neptune had it when they first released the trident.

But this is the nail that shuts the coffin for me on Maven.
I do not want to be litterally held at bay and at the mercy of a single company for reagents.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back