• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

New vs aged live rock?

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a 40 gallon breeder and looking to upgrade to a 100 gallon tank. My 40 has about 50 lb of live rock that is 3 years old. I would really like to start over with the new tank from all dry rock how much better is 3 year old rock vs newly cycled rock and why? I can try to use some pieces of old rock if I have to!

Vinman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a 40 gallon breeder and looking to upgrade to a 100 gallon tank. My 40 has about 50 lb of live rock that is 3 years old. I would really like to start over with the new tank from all dry rock how much better is 3 year old rock vs newly cycled rock and why? I can try to use some pieces of old rock if I have to!
Do you have pests or algae you want to avoid

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Old pest free rock is the best way to go. Aging new rock is a pain. Your new rock will go through cycles of pest algae. In the end you'll end up with aged pest free rock. But if you already have aged pest free rock then there's no reason to start over.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Established, fully cycled live rock with coralline algae on it is like a priceless commodity in our hobby. It makes a world of difference. Back in my day (the late 90s early 00s it was all we used. The only people who didn't use real live rock back then were heretics! Heretics I say! :cool:

Which do you prefer?

• A few LARGE, not as colorful less expensive, coral colonies filling your tank

Votes: 118 38.4%
  • A lot of TINY, but very colorful more expensive, frags covering the rock

Votes: 138 45.0%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 51 16.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors