New Waterbox 105.4 Build Thread

butcherreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am making this post to show off my new waterbox105.4 build. The tank was just delivered today, however I am moving to a new house soon so all equipment is going to sit and wait. I will be posting the journey of this tank on my instagram (Butcherreef) and on here. If you have any questions just shoot them my way and ill try to answer to the best of my knowledge. I will post pictures of all equipment and everything els below.

Tank: Waterbox 105.4 Frag
Cabinet: Waterbox 105.4 White
Sump: Waterbox 105.4 Sump
Lighting: (2) XR15 Blues
Wave Maker: (2) MP40's
Dosing/Auto waterchange: Versa 4 Pack with base station
Return Pump: S2
Protein Skimmer: Regal 150 INT
RODI: Waterbox 5 Stage
Heater: 400W Titanium Aquarium Heater w/ Helio Controller - Redundancy Bundle - Bulk Reef Supply
UV: 25 Watt Classic UV Sterilizer - Black Body
ATO: Duetto Dual-Sensor Complete Aquarium ATO System

Equipment Plans: I am planning on making a controller board that consists of all mp40 controllers and return pump controller on top of a board mounted to left side of Waterbox cabinet. Under that I am putting the versa dosers, mounted to the controller board with all tubes running through pre drilled holes. Lastly, I will be having 2 custom dosing containers for all for reef and AB+ coral food. I will be putting grommets on the larger hole cuts.
(Picture of controller board below)
I am designating two of the versa dosers for automatic water changes in which I hope to do around 2 Gallons per night.

Future equipment plans:
I am possibly looking at adding either another XR15 or an XR30 will most likely wait until Black Friday sales to purchase, let me know your thoughts.
I am possibly looking at doing a CW-50 External Algae Scrubber V2, but I am not sure if it is needed let me know if you have any thoughts.

Future Fish:
I am looking for some opinions on my fish wish list, I am not an expert in fish more of a coral **** guy myself.
(1) GEM Tang
(1) Tang of different species wondering on what you all would think is a good colorful pair to go with a gem. I was thinking powder blue, Achilles, purple, or
(2) Mandarin
(1) Mystery Wrasse (who is currently growing up in my smaller tank now)
(4) Bengai Cardinal Fish
Need more fish just don't know what.

Coral:
Mixed reef for sure, I love arches so lots of arches for the rock work. I currently have, an acantho, 5 torches, clam, bunch of Blasto, acans, and hammers. I am now realizing I have to many corals to list out so that's all you are getting.

Very Excited to get this tank wet, most likely 2 months out so until them all these equipment and tank pictures will be eating me alive.
Would love to know what you all think, and like I said if you follow this thread there will be the entire process to come.
By the way I have only posted on here a few times so I hope this is being posted in the right place.

tempImage4zXxiR.png tempImageeyhVGW.png tempImageK96q31.png Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 5.45.17 PM.png tempImagedw8Wjm.png tempImageOePDn8.png

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, what’s the control board? Is it DIY? I have a waterbox frag 105.4 and can’t seem to find anything on which control boards would fit. Any advice?

OP
OP
butcherreef

butcherreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, what’s the control board? Is it DIY? I have a waterbox frag 105.4 and can’t seem to find anything on which control boards would fit. Any advice?
The Controller board is a combination of rubber coated plywood and left over cabinet wood. It is DIY put together with screws and liquid nail. I used a 1” hole cutter for holes you see and a small drill bit for dosing line holes. It definitely took some time but like you said most premade controller boards on the market do not fit or did not have the exact layout I wanted. For my advice if you are inclined at all with wood cutting I would do it yourself just take your time and really make sure to get your cuts straight. I mapped out the space left of the sump and wrote it all up on paper with precise measurements to make sure everything would fit. I do believe echo tech has a controller board that will fit but you have to measure your cabinet space and check the specs to really know before you order. Hope this helped feel free to ask more questions if you need.

OP
OP
butcherreef

butcherreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am making this post to show off my new waterbox105.4 build. The tank was just delivered today, however I am moving to a new house soon so all equipment is going to sit and wait. I will be posting the journey of this tank on my instagram (Butcherreef) and on here. If you have any questions just shoot them my way and ill try to answer to the best of my knowledge. I will post pictures of all equipment and everything els below.

Heater: 400W Titanium Aquarium Heater w/ Helio Controller - Redundancy Bundle - Bulk Reef Supply

Equipment Plans: I am planning on making a controller board that consists of all mp40 controllers and return pump controller on top of a board mounted to left side of Waterbox cabinet. Under that I am putting the versa dosers, mounted to the controller board with all tubes running through pre drilled holes. Lastly, I will be having 2 custom dosing containers for all for reef and AB+ coral food. I will be putting grommets on the larger hole cuts.
I am designating two of the versa dosers for automatic water changes in which I hope to do around 2 Gallons per night.

Future equipment plans:
I am possibly looking at adding either another XR15 or an XR30 will most likely wait until Black Friday sales to purchase, let me know your thoughts.
I am possibly looking at doing a CW-50 External Algae Scrubber V2, but I am not sure if it is needed let me know if you have any thoughts.

Future Fish:
I am looking for some opinions on my fish wish list, I am not an expert in fish more of a coral **** guy myself.
(1) GEM Tang
(1) Tang of different species wondering on what you all would think is a good colorful pair to go with a gem. I was thinking powder blue, Achilles, purple, or
(2) Mandarin
(4) Bengai Cardinal Fish

Coral:
Mixed reef for sure, I love arches so lots of arches for the rock work. I currently have, an acantho, 5 torches, clam, bunch of Blasto, acans, and hammers. I am now realizing I have to many corals to list out so that's all you are getting.

Very Excited to get this tank wet, most likely 2 months out so until them all these equipment and tank pictures will be eating me alive.
Would love to know what you all think, and like I said if you follow this thread there will be the entire process to come.
By the way I have only posted on here a few times so I hope this is being posted in the right place.

tempImage4zXxiR.png tempImageeyhVGW.png tempImageK96q31.png Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 5.45.17 PM.png tempImagedw8Wjm.png tempImageOePDn8.png
Hello Everyone I am back with an update, currently moving into the new house. The last move will be all fish tank supplies. I have purchased all Rock and sand.
80lbs Carib Sea: Dry Life Rock
80lbs Carib Sea: Bimini live Sand

Stay tuned in weeks to come for more updates setting up everything.
Here is a little teaser.
67ADA06D-C2EA-4D80-A499-826904C10C85.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone I am back with an update, currently moving into the new house. The last move will be all fish tank supplies. I have purchased all Rock and sand.

Here is a little teaser.
67ADA06D-C2EA-4D80-A499-826904C10C85.jpeg
Best of luck with the move!

OP
OP
butcherreef

butcherreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a little teaser.
I am back again to give everyone some spicy updates (Pictures Below).
The tank has been fully set up and running for 3 weeks now. I used a no fish cycling method to slowly cycle the tank, if you have any questions on how I did this just let me know in a reply and I will get back to you. The first two fish to go into the tank are (2) Bengai Cardinalfish. They have been doing very well the past 4 days. My future plans are to slowly tune in my parameters in calcium, ALK, magnesium, and then slowly start putting in corals. The tank will be stocked with a mixed reef in mind.
AutoWater-change has been set up using versa dosers, and so far so good. I have only been running 1 gallon a day as of now to get my nitrates slightly lower.
Future fish plans, 2 weeks, Mystery Wrasse goes in, then 1-2 weeks after gem tang, and then so on.
If you have any questions feel free to ask anything. Hope you all Enjoy...

IMG_7525.PNG tempImageYlpBY5.png tempImagehMQixn.png

OP
OP
butcherreef

butcherreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Future equipment plans:

Future Fish:
(1) GEM Tang
(2) Mandarin
(4) Bengai Cardinal Fish

Coral:

BACK FOR ANOTHER UPDATE!
The tank is doing great (knock on wood). Tank is now stocked with 5 fish including, Mystery Wrasse, 2 cardinal fish, 1 royal gramma, possum wrasse. Gem tang will be picked up tomorrow from LFS.
Versa Dosers are accurately pulling out and putting in 1 Gal per day from 8 am to 8 pm.

Corals, 2 OG Bounces, A bunch of Torches, 3 scoly, and a few hammers. I am still slowing moving over corals from my smaller tank.
Feeding AB+ Daily,
Dosing magnesium daily with, all for reef daily 25ml per day.

Changes: I have ordered a reefmat and I am going to attempt to cut the silicon on the waterbox sump to put it in. I would highly recommend doing this before getting the tank wet for anyone purchasing a waterbox. The fine filter sock has me cleaning it out daily in order for my ATO to not dump RODI water into my tank.

Enjoy some pictures below and please let me know if you have any questions at all.

Attachments

• IMG_7911.PNG
    IMG_7911.PNG
    544.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7909 3.jpg
    IMG_7909 3.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7910 3.PNG
    IMG_7910 3.PNG
    625.4 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
butcherreef

butcherreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, it has been awhile. The tank started out a little rough,
Problem: the waterbox filter socks “the finer of the two” would nearly overflow into the other sock chamber once every other day. I decided finally to bite the bullet on the reef Matt 500, and after cutting up the sump of the tank it surprisingly was not to difficult to install.
Ever since installing it I have slowly been getting cleaner and cleaner water.

Problem 2: I want to feed ab+ to corals daily, however daily feeding of ab+ was rapidly throwing my phosphates through the roof. I decided to add on a brs phosphate reactor, and use the Reefmat for carbon filtration. This seemed to solve the problem

Problem 3: The mystery wrasse and new gem tang had it out one night most likely to not feeding multiple times per day and the mystery wrasse died. I purchased an auto feeder to hopefully fix this from becoming a future problem.
R.I.P.

As for water parameters I am dosing all for reef about 20 ml daily which seems to be keeping all alk, and calcium at bay, however have been needing to dose redsea mag 35 ml per day to keep magnesium in a 1300 range.

As for corals I am loaded up on all lps right now and taking the time to get water perfect before I add acros to the right side of the tank with lots of flow and lighting.

As always I will add some pictures down below for everyone.

Attachments

• 0F433C5C-D91F-4CDC-B101-6152AF1B42C2.jpeg
    0F433C5C-D91F-4CDC-B101-6152AF1B42C2.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 803BBFE2-E377-4BFA-93EB-3DC5281E066F.jpeg
    803BBFE2-E377-4BFA-93EB-3DC5281E066F.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 54
  • DFC54A18-8BB0-4A93-9F27-96CED46CB2EC.jpeg
    DFC54A18-8BB0-4A93-9F27-96CED46CB2EC.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 60
  • ED8CE521-B9E6-481C-98F4-7F2CAAE39112.jpeg
    ED8CE521-B9E6-481C-98F4-7F2CAAE39112.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 52

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back