New Yasha goby with growth, need help!

ralquist

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2023
Messages
459
Reaction score
682
Location
Kansas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got my fish delivery online today, while acclimating I noticed this on its gill just now?! What can I do with this/for this? Thanks for taking time to check this out!
IMG_5202.jpeg
IMG_5203.jpeg
 
Got my fish delivery online today, while acclimating I noticed this on its gill just now?! What can I do with this/for this? Thanks for taking time to check this out!
IMG_5202.jpeg
IMG_5203.jpeg
Pics very fuzzy and almost too close. Need clearer pics but may be trematodes or Piscicolidae worm. Need to confirm though
 
Googled both, not really sure. It looks like a reddish tube with 2 curly cues coming out of it and pretty long.
Just went on a larger screen and looks so much like a thread worm but they are mainly freshwater
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5207.png
    IMG_5207.png
    301.4 KB · Views: 71
Googled both, not really sure. It looks like a reddish tube with 2 curly cues coming out of it and pretty long.

Those are copepod egg cases. Don't try to remove them, as the female copepod is deep in the fish and pulling her out will damage the fish. Luckily, most copepods don't reproduce in aquariums, although this infection may prove fatal, it won't spread.

Here is an article on higher parasites of fish:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/arthropod-parasites-of-aquarium-fish-hemdal.792/
 
Those are copepod egg cases. Don't try to remove them, as the female copepod is deep in the fish and pulling her out will damage the fish. Luckily, most copepods don't reproduce in aquariums, although this infection may prove fatal, it won't spread.

Here is an article on higher parasites of fish:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/arthropod-parasites-of-aquarium-fish-hemdal.792/
Good morning Jay, I always thought that copepods did reproduce in aquariums? Just curious here.
 
Call your lfs or whoever you bought it from, tell them what is wrong, ask what you can do, maybe try and bring it back for refund? or you can get medicine for it.
 
Good morning Jay, I always thought that copepods did reproduce in aquariums? Just curious here.
These species typically have a planktonic larval stage that really has a difficult time surviving in home aquariums (they tend to get filtered out before they can mature and infect new fish).
 
These species typically have a planktonic larval stage that really has a difficult time surviving in home aquariums (they tend to get filtered out before they can mature and infect new fish).
Ahhh, okay, got ya. thank you
 
I can narrow it down to "probably something in the Cardiodectes genus" though @ISpeakForTheSeas may be able to help from here.
I think I'd have to see the pod removed in this case, as I haven't researched these types of pods yet, and at least a few species from the genus have similar-looking eggs; I would guess postmetamorphic adult female Cardiodectes as well at this point, though.

Unfortunate to find on your fish, but those eggs spirals are pretty cool.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new